Illegal Pitting??

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
How does SCORE decide who gets DQ'ed for illegal pitting and who doesn't? Sykes got DQ'ed on Saturday after his crew changed a ball joint on the infield, but the TCSO buggy did not get DQ'ed after his crew changed a flat tire behind pit row on the back straight away! Does somebody have to protest the infraction or can Sal simply decide who to DQ and who not to? Nobody protested the tire change by the TCSO buggy, which didn't get DQ'ed, but somebody protested Sykes and he was DQ'ed. How does it work? Politics?

P.S. I am by no way picking on you Mark, just wondering how it works!

See ya in the dirt!

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I wish we had the balls to do what TSCO did. Instead Chuck had to change his own flat just past pit row. Even the Herbst drove in to the pits each time they got a flat.

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
It is not a matter of balls, it is a matter of reading and understanding the rules.

Laughlin is a closed course meaning you cannot pit anywhere ON THE COURSE. Further, it says you must pit your vehicle only in the designated pit area. Our car exited the race course and entered the pit area, where the tire change was performed. Yes, that entire area is considered to be an authorized pit area.

No where in any of the literature, or at the Driver's Meeting, was it stated that you must enter the pit area from a specified direction or location, unless you are entering it from the infield section. Even this was not printed, but Sal stood at the Start Line and told each driver that, for safety reasons, he had decided we could only exit the infield section from Turn 2. He did not want anyone crossing the berm from the infield to the pit area.

Several other vehicles entered the pit area from this direction during the weekend and others turned around at the end of pit road, using the access road to return to the back side of the pit area to perform repairs. What we did and what they did were completely LEGAL moves because all work was performed in the designated pit area and because the vehicles re-entered the race course at the point where they exited it.

No foul, therefore no protest.

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
Yup. Seems to be a popular picture. Note the location of the race car and the location of the race track...

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Since I didn't "read and understand the rules" the way in which you did, I guess it's ok then? Or will this be labelled as "bending the rules" and in turn set clearer and more define (or stiffer) rules for next year?

Mark_Weyhrich

Reaction
That is not for me to decide.

I do not see our actions as "Rule Bending". The rules were set forth and we followed them. You know me and you know our team, which means you know our distaste for those who do not follow the rules. If we had any questions about the legality of our actions, we would not have performed the tire change. Think about it, we were right in front of thousands of people. If we were going to bend or break the rules, it certainly would not have been in that circumstance.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
LAST YEAR DONDELS WERE PITTED THERE IT IS OFF THE TRACK

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Mark, my only reason for questioning what happened is because- if it were our car, and we took and threw everything required for a tire change into a pickup and attempted to get to that same location for service, this would be considered a "remote pit". We understood only main pits were to be used for repairs or service. Was this location easily accessible for any team to get to and use it as a secondary or "remote pit"? If yes, then so be it. If not, then I believe this creates an unfair advantage to teams that weren't allowed access to that particular area. I know that a lot of teams were using the top of pit row as a last ditch effort if necessary, but that was easily accessible to any and all teams. I know you wouldn't intentionally break any rules. Our teams have raced and will race each other to often to go and start finger pointing. I just want to clarify this so there is no more confusion.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Mark, I was standing right there next to your pits guys and got the whole thing on tape, we all thought it was awsome and I think that was the smoothest move I have seen in a while by a racer!

HDRA the dondels pitted next to there this year, as well.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

Sumthngfun

Reaction
Mark,

It's human nature to defend our actions, especially when we know we are right. I honestly do not know what the specific perameters for Laughlin are to the tee. However, I do understand why others are questioning the legality of TSCO's maneuver. There are certain teams (one in particular) that continually break the rules race after race. Until Sal can set forth a set of rules that he can enforce uniformly across the board without question, this kind of scrutiny will happen. Especially at a highly visible venue such as Laughlin.

We would all like to compete on a level playing field, unfortunately we don't always have that luxury, especially with Score. Mark, I guess what I am saying is that nobody is picking on you, Gary or your team. We all know that you and your family are great competitors. We are just a product of our environment.

JCA

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Until Sal can set forth a set of rules that he can enforce uniformly across the board without question, this kind of scrutiny will happen. Especially at a highly visible venue such as Laughlin.

<hr></blockquote>

Very hard to do with so many variables. Not to mention everyone’s interpretation and all the gray areas that are in every form of racing.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com