im confused

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
ok im totally confused about what gearing i should get for my truck. i have heard so many things lately i dunno what to do. i was told to get 4:56 gearing. but then i was told if i get them i wasnt gonna be able to cruise down the freeway at 90 if i want to. i have a 4 cylinder so can someone please clarify what i am going to be expecting if i get 4:56 gears im gonna evenmtually be running 32 or 33 inch mudders hopefully. please help before i get into something i dont want to get into to.

Gregg

Timberwlf

Reaction
What kind of transmission?? if its a 5 speed...then you should be fine with 4.56 and 33s..if its a automatic..just make shure that you have overdrive and you will be fine.

Ive got a AOD with 4.88s and 33s and can run 100mhp with the tach at about 4000-4500rpm

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

motoxscott

Reaction
4.56's are a little tall for a 32" -33" tires unless you want to rev the thing a lot. For street & offroad, I'd look at going with 4.10's.

Just for comparison sake..... I'm running 4.30's with 37" tires on my Superduty and it's fine, but I also have a torquey V-10 in it.

Just my 2 cents........

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Get 4.56s because you have a 4 cylinder. Building a prerunner is always a compromise. Think of gears as free power but at the expense of top speed. Why do you think 7s trucks run gears as low as 7 or 8 to 1?....Power thats why. I have a 4 liter with 4.56s and 33s and it runs great. If i had a 4 cylinder i would go with 4.88s. 4.10s are too high in my opinion. With an S10 you shouldnt be worried about going 90mph because what are you going to do when a ball joint breaks? Buy the 4.56s and you wont be sorry, buy the 4.10s and the first time you hit some sand or a hill that bogs the motor a bit and you get stuck, you are gonna wished you had gotten the 4.56s or 4.88s. 4.88s are on the extreme end but I wouldnt put them out of the picture.

Kris

ntsqd

Reaction
For reference the Yota Crawler Rule of Thumb is:
35"+ = 5.29's
33" = 4.88's
31"-32" = 4.56
I have 4.88's and 33's on my 22R Yota. My shift points are very close to being stock and my odo is less than 10 miles off in 500 miles when the tires are new (as compared to the GPS' odo).
I don't think you'll have a problem with 4.56's. You have to remember that you'll gain dome effective ratio with the taller tires. Going shorter on the gears just gets you back closer to stock. There are ratio calculators out there, one is on 4x4now.com somewhere.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

cleartoy

Reaction
For more refference, ive got a set of 488 gears and locker on order for my 2wd Toy. I plan on running 33s.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Kris,

I guess im just gonna tumble down the freeway a few times. it might hurt a little but it will be fun. I really dont think im gonna be going 90 in the dirt or the street anytime so, I was just using that as a number. when the truck was stock it went 90 no problem everywhere now it wont even get up to 80 unless im goin downhile. i just dont want to be at 5000 rpm at high freeway speeds goin up hill like i am doin right now. with 4:56 gears should i not haver to worry about this?

Gregg

1992f150

Reaction
is it auto or stick, what is your stock gear ratio?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have 4:56's in my 5-sped 4 cyl yota running 31's, and in the dirt it is sweet, but a little low for the freeway, max speed is around 80, spinning about 3 grand plus. Keeps me from getting tickets.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
manual and im not totally sure what the the stock gearing is i belive something like 3:72 or something like that maybe 3:95 but not sure

ntsqd

Reaction
My thots exactly, when I got my Yota it had the 4.88's and 31's. Off Roaded great, just didn't want to drive it anywhere.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I had 4.56's in my 89 ranger that had the 2.3L 4 banger, and it worked GREAT! Also, I was driving 75+ mi. a day on the freeway (usually at 75+ mph) and I had no problems. That was w/ 32's. I am going to 4.88's when I get the 35's on my truck, but I now have a supercharged 3.8L and will have a c6. This might be a little too short for street (I'll find out soon enough), but this thing will be mostly dirt rather than my daily driver when it is done.

My new problem is my brothers toyo (85 2wd, 22re, w/ a 5 spd.). We are running 33's and trying to figure out how to gear it. I was thinking 4.56 because it is on the street every day. BUT, we want decent gears for the dirt. Should we run the 4.88's, or will those be too short for freeway? Pat? Anybody w/ experience you input is appreciated. Thanks. Steve

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
The 4:88's should be fine with 33's. My truck is not running at the moment or I'd slap on a pair of 33's and tell ya what I think about the 4:56's with that size tire.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

Junior

Reaction
I have 33" tires on my Ranger and recently geared the 9" with 4.11's. I am not happy, I should have went with the 4.56's. I have the 5 speed and can do 60 mph in 3rd gear!

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

sirhk100

Reaction
4.56's behind a 4.0 Explorer auto on 33" tires and love them. For the dirt I could use 4.88 but on the highway don't think I'd want to be much lower. I'm a slow driver too though so it doesn't see more then 70 on the freeway often.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

michael_loomis

Reaction
Gregg , stock 4banger S-10 should have 3.73 gearing in it. Go with the 4.56 . i had a nissan with 31's on it before i got my sonoma . i had about the same transmission ratios as your truck . i put a nismo 4.625 gear set in it (closest they had to 4.56) and was able to do whatever speed a wanted . cruising down the freeway from san diego to plaster city i did 90 at about 3300 rpm. had a full load and never had to take it out of 5th for any hills , it was a beatiful thing.

SJP12

Reaction
Stock gearing for a 2000 2.2L 4 is 4.10, read your owners manual, as long as you have 5 speed thats the gearing.

YZFster

Reaction
4:10 with 35's, 5speed V6.......no problem

Go Big or stay there.