• Forum membership has its advantages....

Improving downforce on a 90s ranger

Bricoop

I have a 1990 ranger we race on pavement. Based on the last trip to sonoma, the truck in its current state is faster than a 944 around Sonoma. Soon I'll be swapping in a 302. Before that, I'd like to ensure this truck doesn't turn into plane at 130. My current plan is to add an air dam and splitter to the front. Are there any suggestions on increasing the downforce in the rear? My truck does have a windshield, but no rear or side windows. Open to any suggestions, including a bed delete. Thanks

1590589966082.png

1590590037560.png

Thanks for reading this far. Yes this is a lemons racer, one day a chump car and lucky dog racer. Here's the theme. A take on the CyberTruck. Our them is CYBERFUK'D. "Over-engineered to under-perform" is our motto.

1590590252089.png

1590590494317.png

michael.gonzalez

You'd probably have better luck with a smooth belly pan and rear diffuser for the under/rear.

But yeah, a fastback camper shell with a rear spoiler would be ideal for the top/rear.

partybarge_pilot

Also some ghetto fabulous ducts to get the air from the radiators out the hood instead of under the car would make that splitter work better.

michael.gonzalez

lemons.png

Here are my thoughts.

Skinning the bottom/underside of the truck with one large continuous surface would be the best bang for the buck IMO.

Last edited:

Bricoop

You guys rock. Thank you.

I will definitely be installing a hood vent and some panels in the engine bay to guide the air. I like the idea of deleting the bed and hanging aluminum sheets for the body panels. Planning on a lexan sheet for the fastback.

Other wishlish items:
302 mated to a WC T5.
4" brake ducts
ST43 pads...considering upgrading to a 12" rotor and 4 piston wilwoods up front.
Oil cooler

Questions:
Worried about trans heat, should I plan some ducting for it?
Does the fastback need any venting due to not having a rear window?
What's the rubber flap behind the transmission for?
Sucker fans?

partybarge_pilot

So, what are the rules concerning aero?

If your ditching the bed you could run side skirts and a tunnel for ground effects.

Also, I would put some plexi windows in it.

jon coleman

130?, bed cover, 3" rear spoiler, smooth out wheel openings, smooth Every thing!!!, you dont need fast & furious wings& spoilers and random naca ducts everywhere, Dont go ape sh t on a front air damn/ spliter, too hard to push& too much down force, subtel under side smoothing out/ rear diffuser like MG says most beneficial, watch ' 25th to first spec racer ford TMS', thats All about areo/ low horsepower, great drive, im homesick...

Bricoop

So, what are the rules concerning aero?

If your ditching the bed you could run side skirts and a tunnel for ground effects.

Also, I would put some plexi windows in it.
Each series has its own rules. Most are based on how much was spent making changes. Not allowed to add windows due to safety concerns of running $500 crapcans over 100mph.

If I delete the bed, I plan to add some rigidity to the frame. Here’s it now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

jon coleman

bed delete?, Side skirts, & cover as much of rear tire as u can get away with, side skirts like 18 wheeler trailors, all skirts/ front air dam about 3" above road,ditch those big mirrors, every little bit helps,, still leafed, rear?, can u run pan hard?, dont make frame too rigid, some flex is actually good for ' feeling' the car better

Last edited: