• Forum membership has its advantages....

In car camera options?

rocky4by

Hello, we are getting ready for the Baja 1000 and looking to see what options there are for an in car camera. We have tried all the Go-Pro units, all the wires and trying to keep it all plugged in, and along with keeping the chip replaced through out the race is a big pain #$%@$&. We need something that we can turn on and feed into a memory that can hold 50+ hrs of footage, also a front and back camera setup would be really nice, as the back view footage is so awesome too. Any advice would be great.

paranoid56

50+hrs is going to be damn near impossible with out some $$$$$$$
check out this thread,

notime

NTR Films media guy
GoPro 3-4 with extended battery can last 7-8 hrs with a 128gb memory card, if you run wiring to the camera you can get as much footage you want with the biggest memory card can afford and please wiper the lens and use a good mounting base

rocky4by

Well we might still run the Go-Pro, but will have to come up with a good idea to keep the in-power wires connected. It does not go to well for us to swap chips out and see what is still on and off at pits, most of the time we stay in the car. To get the cameras out of the case you have to get the wires off, and then to deal with a tiny chip and dirt every where just is not good. The guys at the pit try to help, but the language barrier is a little tough sometimes. There was a post on here somewhere that I saved and cant find, the guy stated he was running a camera that has an external hard drive and can store up to 75 hrs, I think it cost about 2k

johndjmix

We had a ton of issues with Go-Pro's and powering them, then we solved it. Heed this info as it took us almost a year to figure out and finally have no issues with the go-pro's!

1. What we do is have a small 5ah battery, attach a USB charger to it, and power the go-pro via that. This way its totally independant of the truck, so theres no humm (Ground loop causes it) and that battery has so much power it ran the cammera for the ENTIRE V2R race! And proboly would have ran a second V2R. Much cheaper than using any of these extended batterys.

2. Only use a SD card go-pro lists as compatiable on their site. Not one thats close, one digit off, one thats faster than they list, etc. USE ONLY ONE THEY SAY WILL WORK.

--John

Jerry Zaiden

GO Pro units recording at 720p 30fps is really all you need for a setting. I would either use a new 7 or newer with SCOSCHE batteries connected to the go pro by cable then velcro the battery to the car and the gopro in a mount. Or setup good USB power to the gopro. Use a 126gig card and record for up to 4-6 hours. The swap out the gopros in the pits.

Like a few others have said you can find hero3-4 units and get battery backpacks that is what we still use for long races.

I run power to the GoPro and stick the largest SD card in.. You can then connect your GoPro to your intercom as well for incar audio.. for a fancy option, check out the camera from AIM..

Radiobirdman32

We ran a couple of GoPro Hero 6 blacks at NORRA last year and they seemed to turn on and off for no rhyme or reason. I am wondering if was because the voice commands feature was on and we had the intercom wired into the camera so it was taking our chatter and turning on and off. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Zambo

The really cool thing would be sifting through 50 hours of footage after the race. Totally fun.

Zambo

BTW, if you put the camera in LOOP mode and set it for five minutes, you can save interesting parts of the race without running out of card space.

In LOOP mode, it will record footage in preset increments (I use 5 minutes). It divides the 5 minutes up into 4 equal sections of 1:15. Once the five minutes are up, it overwrites the first "section." So basically it is always capturing the last 5 minutes of footage.

The way you work it is you have to be able to start and stop the camera. The good thing is that you don't have to predict when something cool is gonna happen because its already recording. You just have to stop the camera after a cool section so it doesn't get overwritten, then start the recording again. This will begin a new loop. If you have a co-driver who is on the ball you'll finish the race with nothing but a bunch of cool video files and plenty of room on a single card. Only thing you need to record the whole race is power supply.

A remote that is easy to reach really helps a lot if the camera isn't in front of you. BTW, the remotes usually won't last a whole race either without power supply. An old smartphone makes for an easy remote to use.

In this video I powered GoPro 4's from the car battery, lowered the quality to 720P and used a 128gb card. I was able to record 11 hours and 45 minutes before swapping cameras. There are other options as well. I have some Sony AS50's that record in other formats, and you can power from car battery.

rocky4by

Thanks for all the replies everyone, so how long will a 6000mah SCOSCHE battery pack run a Hero 7@720P

michael.gonzalez

My guess would be 24+ hours. Probably more like 48+ hours. At that point, memory is an issue.

michael.gonzalez

Viewing and trying to edit days of footage gets crazy tedious. But timeline can help if you can figure markers, even a hand wave.
+1. I try to give a big visual to the lens when I want to remember a certain point in time. Definitely helps with edits post race.