In car camera systems

Chris Tobin

Reaction
If you go with a GoPro, (which is a good camera system and I recommend them, and the older models can be had for cheap), be sure to get the battery backpack and extra batteries or plan on running it off 12V if you want to video for any length of time...

D-Munoz1472

Reaction
Sorry to slightly de rail, as far as running a go pro off 12v, I only get maybe 40 min of footage off a battery, are people drilling into the case to feed the power cord then silicone the hole? How about hooking up audio, how are people getting their intercom hooked up to the go pro?

DeCamp104

Reaction
Sorry to slightly de rail, as far as running a go pro off 12v, I only get maybe 40 min of footage off a battery, are people drilling into the case to feed the power cord then silicone the hole? How about hooking up audio, how are people getting their intercom hooked up to the go pro?
Yes, I cut holes in the sides to plug in power supply as well as reverse view monitor. Seal with coax weather seal. You can add and remove it like putty. For intercom, PCI sells the cable that connects GoPro to race radio.

Last edited:

biggjim

Reaction
based on my experience wiring in the comms creates a buzz in your earpiece.

pontoontodd

Reaction
My friend has an SJ (4000 I think). It's a gopro knockoff but better in some ways. One convenient feature we've been using is you can set it up so it automatically turns on and records when it has power. His has a sealed USB cable coming out the case we hook up to the car.

You can power a Gopro with your car's electrical system like other posters mentioned. The newer gopros have an option of continuously recording short loops, you hit a button (on a remote) and it saves a few minutes before and after that moment. A lot of dash cams work that way too and some are pretty cheap and high quality video. Otherwise you wind up with hours of video to go through afterwards. The last one dashcam I got mentioned using a special kind of SD card that can be overwritten thousands of times. Only an issue on a dashcam on a daily driver.

I've seen a few video systems that have multiple cameras and a central storage box but they're usually expensive.

johndjmix

Reaction
I have yet been able to get our GoPro working correctly. The humm in the intercom is defiantly ground loop, since when we use the battery in the camera it doesn't happen. Don't understand why it's happening since everything is hooked up right. No ground to the intercom as per pci. Radio grounded direct to battery.

Either way we can't get it to record for over a few minutes, then it shuts off. Trying to turn it back on it does the "3 beeps" and turns immediately off. I know a lot of people have had great luck with go pros, so I'm not blaming go pro.

It's one of those things, "how much time do I invest in getting this to work". I'm ready to just go with a different solution for the camera. Thinking of going way different than most and using an iPhone to record. I can feed the audio in, the camera quality is extremely high, and when in cell coverage, I can stream the video online live.

--John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

biggjim

Reaction
while this can happen without a camera, the buzz you refer to 97% of the time is from improper grounding (search "ground loop") and can be addressed.
In every instance we have ran across this un-plugging the camera stopped the buzz. We have tried everything, and even had the Pro's look at it.

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
ill use GoPros 3+ with the Brunton Extended pack (6+ hrs) or the original GoPro extended batteries (3.5 hrs), set up at 1080 at 30fps with 64gb cards

Attachments

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I have a pair of Hero2 GoPros with GoPro battery back packs on each one and several extra batteries and I can run for a long time... I have several 32GB SD cards too, bought them from Ebay certified refurb Sandisk cards...

DeCamp104

Reaction
I hard wired mine (PCI kit) to a stand alone motorcycle battery mounted behind the driver's seat. This solves radio interference problem and will record until 64GB memory card is full, 9+ hours.

Mike321

Reaction
Replay XD is a good one as well.
Replay
I've had nothing but bad luck with my Repay and I've spent a lot of time with them on the phone. Every time it is" you need xyz card", "format it", etc. The card that came with it didn't even work. The xyz card didn't work.

I would recommend an older GoPro setup hard wired to your battery. The GoPro 5's are too prone to being damaged when hard wired due to the "door" that you must remove, unless you seal it with silicon. I wouldn't recommend that either. But Hero 5's do make amazing video and you can use a remote to start them all at once.

Last edited:

Baja Fool

Reaction
I've had nothing but bad luck with my Repay and I've spent a lot of time with them on the phone. Every time it is" you need xyz card", "format it", etc. The card that came with it didn't even work. The xyz card didn't work.
That's a shame, I've had all good experiences with their product.

Mike321

Reaction
That's a shame, I've had all good experiences with their product.
I'm glad you had good experiences. I really wanted to like this device, it so much smaller than a GoPro and I thought that would be a plus, and they had great mounting options. I hope I have all of the gremlins in mine and it still works out well for you.

D_moran

Reaction
Pretty much any of the cameras that everyone here is talking about works great, but a good camera doesn't mean good video. You have to know what angles will give you the best shots. You want one that won't be boring for you to watch despite being there and experiencing it. I would reccomend buying an off-brand tube mount and a swivel to allow the camera to point in any direction. Just think about your camera angle and what you plan on doing and you should be satisfied. I hope my 5 cents helped you out! -Dylan