• Forum membership has its advantages....

In car camera systems

steve scott

We have been having trouble seeing out of our mirrors with our new thicker strap webbing window nets. I have a Go Pro that I am going to place rear facing and split my GPS screen. To accommodate the screen being spit we are getting larger screen GPS. Getting a 12 inch but smaller probably could have worked. Splitter from Kartek. Hard wire power supply from PCI. I know people have done this before. Anyone willing to share hints on set up. Problems with dust on lens.

pontoontodd

We have been having trouble seeing out of our mirrors with our new thicker strap webbing window nets. I have a Go Pro that I am going to place rear facing and split my GPS screen. To accommodate the screen being spit we are getting larger screen GPS. Getting a 12 inch but smaller probably could have worked. Splitter from Kartek. Hard wire power supply from PCI. I know people have done this before. Anyone willing to share hints on set up. Problems with dust on lens.
Not sure what you will do about dust on the lens.
I would recommend the narrowest angle camera you can get. Even 140 degrees on a ten inch screen doesn't let you see very far back. We used a dashcam, easy wifi setup to a tablet. One thing to consider is that the image will be backwards. Depending on the app, camera, and tablet, you might be able to reverse the screen so it looks like your mirror. Your gopro probably has a few options but they'll all be pretty wide angle. Ideally you'd want something like 60 or 70 degrees but that's hard to find. If you find something good please post it!

I found that the Ion Camera is a great deal, I mount them on the outside of the trucks that I race in and if I lose one I'm only out $40 and they get great footage.

Attachments

DeCamp104

You can get a 4 inch monitor on Amazon for less than $20. No need to "shrink" your GPS by splitting it. Mount your GoPro on roll cage inside rear window area. I don't have problems with dust build up on rear facing camera.

monitor.jpg

pontoontodd

You can get a 4 inch monitor on Amazon for less than $20. No need to "shrink" your GPS by splitting it. Mount your GoPro on roll cage inside rear window area. I don't have problems with dust build up on rear facing camera.

View attachment 183949
I'm surprised that is useful while driving. The rear camera connected to our 10" tablet was no better than a standard mirror due to the wide angle.

dan200

#BSF200
For those of you guys needing better go pro mounts than the fantastically shiddy plastic ones go pro makes, you should take a look at these. These are what I sell to Curtis, Tuba and all the other filmer guys . They're so good they are actually what GoPro themselves use to film with. Strong as hell (billet and steel) and super adjustable.

This guy does a great job explaining how great this product is. (The specific mount I sell is featured at approx 3:40 in the video.)

They are 80 bucks (and worth every penny) and you can get them onsite from me in the SDHQ Race Support trailer at most races or from the SDHQ website.

Universal Adjustable KW Mount

DeCamp104

I'm surprised that is useful while driving. The rear camera connected to our 10" tablet was no better than a standard mirror due to the wide angle.
Mirror placement can be tough to get clear view. The GoPro sees everything. Spotting an approaching vehicle is effortless.

dzrt performance

th

View attachment 183949
the newer color Motec dash displays have analog video inputs. so no need for an extra monitor. hit a button on the dash and you can have a rear view camera or whatever. I believe the newest 12" dash has 3 video inputs.

Jerry

I use a portable battery pack and drill a small hole in the case then put tape over it.

With the GoPro battery packs we always ran out of battery towards the end. I also have hard wire provisions too.

I'm working on a camera system that I can do Facebook live the whole race with stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

JayQC

I watch hours and hours of unedited in car footage when I can find it on youtube. This thread lets me know that I'm not about to run out of races to watch any soon.

JayQC

What camera angles and types of videos do you like
best?
In all cases I like it more when the camera is definitely forward and not too far back in the cab. I understand that it probably makes it harder for the crew to keep it clean though.

For trophy trucks, I prefer when the cam is hooked higher up pointing slightly down (not too much cause the skyline and horizon disappears and it's just up close dirt) because then you don't just see the hood and the terrain 50 feet ahead over it, you can see obstacles coming until they're close and then understand the driver and codog's decision making much more clearly.

For buggies and other classes this is less an issue because the cars are generally smaller.

Here are some examples. I'm not slamming anyone here, I've watched them all anyway.

Not that great :

upload_2017-9-7_15-12-9.png

upload_2017-9-7_15-13-10.png

Great placement inside cab :

upload_2017-9-7_15-13-57.png

upload_2017-9-7_15-27-8.png

upload_2017-9-7_15-19-26.png

This one is good placement on the hood, could be even a couple inches higher as the hood takes up half the screen. It's great to be able to see the road directly ahead :
upload_2017-9-7_15-15-1.png

Pretty much perfect hood placement :
upload_2017-9-7_15-17-41.png

For the audio sometimes the engine fans can get grating after a couple hours of non stop viewing so I have an audio EQ in Firefox to roll out the sonic frequencies where the fans reside, but that's just me.

I understand that some of these depend on the type of lens/camera used as well.

I love inside the cab placement, but they are difficult to get right.

Just my opinion.