In case of emergency...

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
The accident with the UTV driver this Friday during Vegas to Reno has really got me thinking about how backwards and unprofessional our sport is. It starts with the "mandatory" drivers meetings. I hope the promoters don't take offense but personally I'm tired of sitting through an hour + long drivers meeting when 45 minutes of it is spent talking about the good ol' days and fluffing all the sponsors and BLM agents. And after all that, you guys spend about 5-10 minutes on actual pertinent information about the actual race if that.

I personally want to see a lot more time spent on going over protocols on what to do when in an accident, engine failure, mechanical issue, etc. I want to see more time spent on going over how the Racing Trax / Stella works. With the exponential rise in UTV entries, many of these guys are showing up to a race for the very first time and have no basic concept on what to do when crap hits the fan. Curt Leduc used to do a rookie drivers meeting. This is something that needs to happen every single race by every single promoter. I think back to my first race and honestly I wouldn't have known the first thing to do in case of an emergency. I think it's something that the veteran racers need to organize amongst themself and come up with a users guide on what to do in case of emergency. It should be something that should be available to download, watch, etc on every single promoters website.

I'm not saying I have all the answers but it's something that is long overdue in this sport and needs to be done.

Rcamp99

Reaction
Without watching the last drivers meeting, I can only agree. Common sense sadly isn’t so common sometimes and especially in the heat of the moment.

johndjmix

Reaction
What really needs to happen is for racing trax to show ANY race vehicle your coming up on...no matter if its moving or not......, not only when you hit the "stopped" button. That would save so many crashes. So simple, i dont know why this hasent happened yet?

--John

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Is required and is what gets sponsorship and next year's permit.
We know. But we also need insurance and a racer getting out of the car and getting killed sure ain't gonna help us get that.

Consider that the Op was maybe being a bit sarcastic (and a little honest) and lets try and keep this thread on topic with helpful replies.

I am hopeful after he gets a little rest our resident safety guru Dave will chime in with some practical solutions.

Good thread Patrick. I hope it causes some positive actions.

Last edited:

Rcamp99

Reaction
What really needs to happen is for racing trax to show ANY race vehicle your coming up on...no matter if its moving or not......, not only when you hit the "stopped" button. That would save so many crashes. So simple, i dont know why this hasent happened yet?

--John
It does this automatically after a few minutes does it not?

y2kbaja

Reaction
There is a video about not where to spectate in Mexico, how about a similar video on what to do when your car breaks down? As Fish said live when we were code red, it happened to his team too in Baja, and it will happen again, unfortunately.

cjohnson

Reaction
We know. But we also need insurance and a racer getting out of the car and getting killed sure ain't gonna help us get that.

Consider that the Op was maybe being a bit sarcastic (and a little honest) and lets try and keep those thread on topic with helpful replies.

I am hopeful after he gets a little rest our resident safety guru Dave will chime in with some practical solutions.

Good thread Patrick. I hope it causes some positive actions.
What I said was perfectly on topic. The OP said too much time during the mandatory drivers meeting was spent on promotion. I pointed out it is necessary. To expound further I do not think the mandatory drivers meeting is the appropriate venue for "new racer orientation" or safety training. Us old guys don't want to set through that. A rookie drivers meeting sounds good. Maybe the OP can organize one?

Fifty

Reaction
What I said was perfectly on topic. The OP said too much time during the mandatory drivers meeting was spent on promotion. I pointed out it is necessary. To expound further I do not think the mandatory drivers meeting is the appropriate venue for "new racer orientation" or safety training. Us old guys don't want to set through that. A rookie drivers meeting sounds good. Maybe the OP can organize one?

ive been in competition skiing, competition pavement car racing, and competition shooting.
I have to say, the “I’m too old and experienced” to sit through a better safety meeting is about the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard when it comes to a sport that is potentially hazardous and deadly.

I tried to write this 3-4 times now and not be super negative and not be childish with insults.
But to say you are better than an efficient safety briefing... is just...

R. Gross

Reaction
I hope I pasted this correctly.

There is some good info provided in the 5 pages from very experienced drivers. I had a feeling this would happen 3 years ago. Sorry to hear about the loss.

Last edited:

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I would be more than happy to hold a rookie racer meeting as long as the promoters are on board. I hope I've been doing this long enough to know what and what not to do. I would really like to be a part of these discussions. I will reach out to Cameron Steele and Johnny Campbell about this and anyone else who wants to help implement something. This one really hit me hard as I was one of the guys sitting in the crowd at the drivers meeting ready to blow my brains out from boredom waiting for actual race info and zero information about safety ever gets mentioned at a drivers meeting.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Website
www.fishgistics.com
Sad to say but with a couple simple steps this one could have been 100% avoided. These simple steps need to be put out there for EVERY racer to be reminded of EVERY drivers meeting. Nothing is more important than safety and as soon as you think you're a pro and above hearing a safety speech thats when you have an issue!

This can be summed up in a couple points as follows for protocol when you come to a stop during a race AKA breakdown.

1. Get on BITD or Weatherman and relay you are broke and your location. Even if no one is responding to you, put out your location and the issue because they might be able to hear you even if you can not hear the reply. DO NOT UNBUCKLE YET

2. Do not unbuckle until you are 100% sure there is not another car coming behind you.

3. Take your helmet OFF as soon as you get out of the car and can see no one is coming. This way you can HEAR when cars are coming behind you and you can make sure you are in a safe spot as they pass, and will be able to hear if any cars are behind in their dust. When you HEAR a car coming watch that direction till they go by, do NOT turn your back to them.

4. Try your cell phone, many race courses are within cell range now days.

5. If you have NOT had contact with officials yet try and wave down a race car and have them relay your message to their crew once they get in range.

6. IF you have NO option but to walk away from your car and go down the track stay as FAR off the track as possible when walking next to it.

7. NEVER cross the track unless you can CLEARLY see as far as you can that no cars are coming.

Those 7 simple steps will avoid a LOT of bad accidents from happening, they would have avoided our team mates death at the 1000 a few years ago. Just step 1 would have avoided the death this past weekend.

One more step if someone is injured, WAVE down ANY race car coming and have them stop and try to get a hold of someone if you have not. Never wave a race car by to keep going if there has not been contact with help. Keep waving down cars until you find someone with medical experience in them. At this point the race DOES NOT MATTER to ANYONE in the race.

My .02 for steps for safety that could take less than 5 min to go over at a drivers meeting and WOULD save lives.

TrophyBurro

Reaction
I want to let you guys know that the guys from tactmedinfo just released a spanish version of their emeremcy info cards. You can run English one side and Spanish the other.

Check them out on If anyone in Baja Sur needs one I have a few they sent me to give out .

edit.
Sorry I thought this post was about emergency contacts.

Attachments

• 20191025_120530_1024x1024.jpg
    20191025_120530_1024x1024.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0

cjohnson

Reaction
ive been in competition skiing, competition pavement car racing, and competition shooting.
I have to say, the “I’m too old and experienced” to sit through a better safety meeting is about the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard when it comes to a sport that is potentially hazardous and deadly.

I tried to write this 3-4 times now and not be super negative and not be childish with insults.
But to say you are better than an efficient safety briefing... is just...
I said I was too old set through a "new racer orientation or safety training". I continuously educate myself on the latest safety and technology updates and would be happy to be educated in more advanced topics. I think most veteran racers would agree training should be appropriate to the audience. No need to force experienced guys through new racer training at every drivers meeting. People start zoning out when presented with too much repetitive info. Realistically it would take a few hours for a good solid rookie training session. Who wants to sit through that 10 or 12 time a year if it was part of the mandatory drivers meeting?

Last edited:

Fifty

Reaction
I said I was too old and experienced to set through a "new racer orientation or safety training". I continuously educate myself on the latest safety and technology updates and would be happy to be educated in more advanced topics. I think most veteran racers would agree training should be appropriate to the audience. No need to force experienced guys through new racer training at every drivers meeting.
Yep. I agree that is what you said. And I still disagree and for the very same reasons.
And it’s fine that we disagree.
For instance I’ve been trained by uncle sams misguided children, then a large municple leo academy, then the FBI, DHS... cross trained with other secret squirrel teams... and shot action pistol...
Quite a bit of safety training just in that alone.
... and any time I go to a new school... or compete (not much anymore I’m old fat, have metal in me from “lead poisoning” and am now a full time dad) or go to a shooting facility...

the basic to the not basic rules and regulations and emergency procedures are gone over in depth at the beginning...

And every lemons or GTA or airstrip attack event I go/went to, drivers meetings start them all... and it goes over flag rules, fire rules... etiquette... all the same newbie to oldie but if info... every single race.

and each briefing is a refresher and a learning experience.

johndjmix

Reaction
It does this automatically after a few minutes does it not?

It does not. And a few minutes is too long if your approaching a vehicle moving at 10mph and your going 50.

—john

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I said I was too old set through a "new racer orientation or safety training". I continuously educate myself on the latest safety and technology updates and would be happy to be educated in more advanced topics. I think most veteran racers would agree training should be appropriate to the audience. No need to force experienced guys through new racer training at every drivers meeting. People start zoning out when presented with too much repetitive info. Realistically it would take a few hours for a good solid rookie training session. Who wants to sit through that 10 or 12 time a year if it was part of the mandatory drivers meeting?
The stuff Fish suggested would literally take a couple of minutes at the most and should be said at every single drivers meeting just as a quick reminder. I think a more detailed video is something that can help and should be posted on every promoters website. Every race it seems like there is a new team showing up.

Csmart

Reaction
You Actually SAID "US OLD GUYS" DON'T WANT TO SIT THROUGH THIS. Nothing about experience was said and do not know how you can say 'US OLDS GUYS"since you do not know me or 1/2 the old guys out here. you were not even thought about when I was already crashing. I can understand new racer orientation but have no idea where you came up with not needing safety info.
Safety is an everyday learning experience, even if you think you are smarter than the rest of us.
I agree 100% with Dailey and would gladly love to get involved with some of this.
No I am not a Safety guy (actually dislike most) but I sit at least once a week in a safety meeting for an hour plus tailgate meetings on projects. Some are good some are bad, the best part is after an accident and you find out after 55 years on the job I didn't know something. Which was recently
As far as promoting that is also a different topic
"Start throwing the darts"