Inconsistent rule enforcement by BITD costs me V2R win.

DustJunkie

Reaction
Day 1, I was running well, leading the pack of Jeepspeeds, pulling a couple buggies and trucks out of the silt, righting a Trick Truck that was on it's side, until it happened, the wiffle balls in the fuel cell came apart and clogged everything up. It took a while to get it fixed, including about 30 minutes of my arm bicep deep in 120 degree race gas, but fixed it and was moving, full speed and was close to making it on time. I missed the pit by about 20 minutes and was told that I could not go on, taking the DNF for the day. (I was stupid for putting wiffle balls in there!)

Day 2 was going pretty well, had a few issues, but the crew came together and we fixed them. I passed the 1736 car on the side of the road about 20 miles out of pit 6. He was out of gas. I got out of the car at pit 6 and sent Marty Scott and Scott Parker out in the lead. I waited until the pit closed without 1736 there and then went on to finish the race. BITD then came on the radio and said that the pit closing time would be extended 15 minutes. My crew waited there to see if he made it. He didn't make the pit until 8:32, a full :32 minutes after the official closure. BITD allowed him to get by the pit late and then pit 7, pit 8, and the finish, late by over 30 minutes every time.

I miss a pit by less time and get a DNF, he get's to go.........

I protested it to Casey and he told me that I was a poor sport and lost it because of my own mechanical failure.

In a multi-day race shouldn't the rules be followed? Giving time the second day and not the first is wrong.

Is this fair?

HotRod82

Reaction
Man that sucks.......all too common in offroad though. Apparantly you do not have the correct last name.

johnnyweb

Reaction
That is a bummer. I hate to see races go down that way. Sometimes it comes down to your teams PR work in that pit to get your car on to the next section.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
the bad part is casey does not go off of checkpoints on a multi day race read the full rules for this race they do not have enough time to check every time sheet that comes in for three days so yes it is a crappy deal. you really have to read the rules for this race

Sparky

Reaction
the bad part is casey does not go off of checkpoints on a multi day race read the full rules for this race they do not have enough time to check every time sheet that comes in for three days so yes it is a crappy deal. you really have to read the rules for this race

But what the OP is saying is that Casey did just that on the first day - he went by the checkpoint time and gave them a DNF, then did the opposite on the next day by ignoring the checkpoint time for the other team. One way or the other does not matter, just enforce it consistently.

Jack

Reaction
From what I heard the pit closing times (after the posted times) were up to the pit captains.

could be just a rumor.

I can understand this when these are volonteers and some may not want to stay as late as others.

DustJunkie

Reaction
The pit captain said only Casey could extend the time when I was pleading for them to keep it open and that there was no extension. The next morning Casey said it's not his call.

Broncodawg

Reaction
Course management folks under Casey called the pit closing times, not the Pit Captains(I was one).
Due to the roughness of the course and resulting carnage, pits 5 and 6 were kept open 30 minutes late on day 2 to allow teams to get back on schedule for the scheduled pit closing times further down course. Getting back on time is tough to achieve, but teams were atleast given the chance to try before being timed out. I did have to pull the plug on two cars at pit 5 who came in after the extension. Doubt politics played any role in the decision. Should every pit after that have to extend their closing time, is a question for Casey and company.

On day 3, pits closed on time or early as very few broke racers, atleast around top gun.

Great race and thanks to all the racers for their strong appreciation of the hundreds of course workers that made the race work. I'll be back.

Dust Junkie, PM me if you want.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
I too was a pit captain: Day 1 - Pit 8; Day - Pit 4; Day 3 - Pit 8, and decisions were made early on to extend the pit times to try and get everyone to the finish line... I was in my pit well over a half hour waiting for one of the cars to get to me on Day 2 - they were the "sweeper"... Day 1, the bikes/cars got to my pit a half hour earlier than expected... Casey doesn't get involved with us out there - we have supervisors and they make the calls, sometimes communication from supervisor to supervisor may not get through, but we really did try to make sure everyone finished on Day 2.

Baja Fool

Reaction
The pit captain said only Casey could extend the time when I was pleading for them to keep it open and that there was no extension. The next morning Casey said it's not his call.
Not his call? What is their in BITD that isn't his call? (No disrespect, GG) Sounds a little messed up, but I'm sure there is more to the story, IMHO.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
On day 3, pits closed on time or early as very few broke racers, atleast around top gun.

Great race and thanks to all the racers for their strong appreciation of the hundreds of course workers that made the race work. I'll be back.
We were at the topgun pit (BFG T/T) and it seemed to close right on time per BITD radio chatter.

Heybeerman

Reaction
No matter what the call, you will be on one side of the fence or the other.

I recall pit closing times extended due to a hill climb the was clogged with cars and held up alot of the feild. If your sitting in the back of the pack due to starting order, then have to sit for 1-2 hrs till the clogg gets clear you would welcome the pit closing extention.

If your past the mess but the guy who beats you is behind it...... you get the idea :)

Blake

dislocated1

Reaction
Not too stir the pot too much here... but, What about Casey's rule of not towing a vehicle across the finish line? I seem to recall a black wrangler being towed across by a red wrangler......

loose nut dan

Reaction
For a one day race...extending the pit closures is fine. But, when you have a multi-day race, where taking a DNF involves huge time penalties, it has to be consistent to be fair to everyone racing. Dust Junkie got to the pit like 5 minutes after the closure, fixed and running at full speed, and BITD pulled his card, and sent them packing for the day.

On the second day extending the pit 30 minutes for the other team is total BS.
I know that Sal Fish(y) is very strict with his pit closures, and that's perfectly fine. Maybe he's just better at estimating the time needed, but it keeps a level playing field for everyone. I'm not even going to get into the teams that received no penalties for going over their allotted time in the work area every night, as well as working on their junk in impound before the race.

I'm curious to see how all of this is going to play out....subscribed....

-Dan