• Forum membership has its advantages....

Inde-Fab's El Camino

indefab

Thanks a-lot for the comments. I'm really happy with how things are coming together,
It's always about twice as long for everything as expected. So technically I'm right on track...lol

I got a few hours to play with her today.

The cabcage lined right back up where it was.
A little BFH and some sweet talking didn't hurt. Then I patched up the opening I made to remove the cage.

It's nice to feel like things are moving forward again.

Attachments

Last edited:

CYS Motorsports

Is the cage Chromoly or DOM? Definately subscribed to this thread, go get 'em!!!!

43mod

If your going to race VORRA I may have a loaner 7500 rpm 358 for the first short course race !We can throw a torque converterless powerglide behind it from my modified.it would be slow off the line but would rev in an instant after that.

indefab

If your going to race VORRA I may have a loaner 7500 rpm 358 for the first short course race !We can throw a torque converterless powerglide behind it from my modified.it would be slow off the line but would rev in an instant after that.
Not sure how to turn down an offer like that. Which race are u talking about? The 500 is next wkend I believe.
Can we mate it to the T400 I have? then all the stuff from there back could stay and it would be great for comparing to the LS which needs to come out and get setup right now too...

Mocked up all the basics, figured out my exact tubing layout for the nosecage. Should get a few hours tomorrow to get started on that.

Attachments

indefab

reread, 43mod, u specified short course. that makes way more sense...lol
workin on it rt now, I need to clone myself. So much to do...

aiiraciing

I can't wait to see this thing done and running
?, how do you plan on pulling the engine and trans with the engine cage built so tightly?

indefab

Thanks! You and me both! =)

the mains are at least 2" wider then the widest point of the engine on both sides.
the x is at least 3" in front of the heads/block at the closest points.

The engine goes straight up and the trans will slide back and drop with the motor in or out, to pull the motor w/ trans in place I will have to loosen the trans and slide it back 6"
The vert tubes at the firewall plane with the engine/trans mate plane, I'm planning on doing some sort of motor plate or some removable flanges to the back of the heads/block.

I will have lots of powerplants in/out of this thing so that was a serious consideration. Another reson for choosing the t400 as well.
The x-over brace and trans. x-member will of course be removable.

Last edited:

indefab

Is the cage Chromoly or DOM? Definately subscribed to this thread, go get 'em!!!!
just saw this, its all DOM as I don't have a tig yet and don't plan on heat treating. without either of those things there's really no point in cromo imo. just putting the triangulation bars in between the dash bar and the nosecage hoops, will snap pics tmrw once I have em' all tacked.

indefab

Thanks! Yeah been at it for a few years now. I used to be up the hill from you workin' on crawlers in Tahoe. I miss the short drive to the dez.

Here's some pics of the progress since last weekend. Going to the 500 really put things in perspective.

Attachments

indefab

firewall tubes all in place, door bar layout established, just looking for a used seat(s) to do those, the console, and driver controls.
It's hard not to get stoked each day when I get to work on this thing. This project has "put itself together" more then anything I have ever worked on.
I just mean that lots of little things keep working out better then I could have planned.
Still tons more to do then I want to admit to myself, but at least I can write everything on one piece of paper now.

Attachments

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
I like this build. Something different out there with that old school cool factor.

I'm sure it isn't gonna be fun pulling the motor out if you have to.

indefab

funny, your not the first person to say that =)
Hopefully I never have to remove this motor, but I'm not too worried about it. "it's good, I eyeballed it" famous last words...
but seriously there's alot more room then it looks like in the pics, unless there's an earthquake while I yank it I'm confident it will pull up and out without issue.

hacked the floorboard out and got a good little start on burning things together before I yank out the original frame-rails tomorrow and rest it on the new frame.

also starting to throw around ideas on how the rear will go together. I like this layout, dual laydowns in rear is ideal but will require serious custom bodywork and would never work with 37s, so I'm thinking keep it simple and keep moving forward. This layout also greatly simplifies the bedcage, but doesn't leave much room for a cooler.

Attachments

PDANK Racing

Nice to see a different type of build. Definitely some quality work you're doing. Great job. The track width really gives the car a bad azz stance.
What are you going to do for body panels, running shortcourse, they'll get beat up pretty fast.

indefab

Thanks! ...for reminding me about the most daunting task. I will be making forms for every panel once I do the originals in steel. I have always wanted to do a complete body, just to see if I can. For a cpl other reasons too ;)

Devin J

Very cool! I've always thought an El camino would be a cool build. Without checking back to the previous pages, has Mark Newhan chimed in on this? I recall reading that he had built one some time ago?

indefab

been busy getting started on my first few complete dezert builds for customers, so minimal time on the el camino lately, however I did get these goodies I needed to move forward with the project. Now I can do the console and cab bottom tubes,do the floorpan and firewall, install rear links, and wrap up the back end of the chassis. Really hoping to make the halloween race in prarie city so I guess I better bust a move if thats gonna be a reality. Just a few more parts and the engine package will be together.

I could use a little input from you guys with experience racing LS engines
wondering what water pump setup and size radiator to run out back
I'm also planning on making a larger volume oil pan but am not sure how much capacity is appropriate
I'm assuming a larger oil pump is in order as well as an eng. oil cooler?

I know I might get away with a few laps in prarie city without those things but I'm trying to get the base setup for the dezert established so I can start knockin down the parts list and get some testing in before entering the race on a fresh build.

Attachments