• Forum membership has its advantages....

Indefab March 16,17 2013 Prairie City Race Review (Our first race ever)

indefab

For immediate release...or something...lol

I just wanted to post up my experience this last weekend as a newb racer and hopefully it will spark some motivation or inspirations for someone out there. I have been working up to this for over 8 years, started a business to justify my R&D, and have countless hours in building the truck by hand, one piece at a time.

A little background about indefab racing. Independent Fabrication was founded in 2004 on the basis of building lowbuck offroad race programs sustainable with an "average joe's" budget. The El Camino is our company's demonstration of that potential. Knowing this vehicle would begin life as a VORRA racer The Truck is designed to run in rough desert terrain as well as on a tight shortcourse track such as Prairie City. People ask "why an El Camino" all the time, but for the true answer you must stare down the beast and ask it yourself.

Attachments

indefab

The Practice session on Saturday came faster then expected. After 3 weeks of straight 18 hr days capped off by a couple all night work sessions I was a little on the looped out side and time was not really relevant anymore. I missed the first practice session while dealing with some improv window nets and a last minute driveline loop. I made it out there for the second practice and quickly realized the brakes were sticking. I adjusted to left foot braking and then reaching under to release the brake, that was pretty distracting but eventually I figured out how to drive around it.

After practice I felt a huge sense of relief. Knowing there were only minor issues to resolve before racing was a huge accomplishment considering the condition of the car 3 weeks prior. I didn't even think about qualifying since I was entering the semi-pro class and was only focused on making it to the finish for points in this first race. Then I decided that more seat time and a little more testing could only be a good thing. I got down to the start and waited my turn while trying to keep the car idling since the battery was also toast. While I waited my turn I actually started to doze off - thats how tired I was. Needless to say my qualifying run was pretty subdued and I messed up a corner, but that mistake caused me to change up how I approached the corner which helped the rest of the weekend.

I spent the night out at the track a and sorta-slept under the stars, woke up at 5am and started to tighten up the minor issues. By the drivers meeting I had wrapped up all the little stuff. The rest of the morning went by in a flash trying to locate some safety equip and chase carb issues.

Heat 1 was smooth, I didnt overdrive at all and the car ran pretty well. This is the heat shown in the clip below

Heat 2 was a little more exciting, I pushed a little harder and the front bodywork actually flew off in front of the grandstands, fortunately the metal fenders didn't take out my bald front tires on the way off. I guess we were sending the stadium jump 90-100 feet consistently. I also tore one of the swaybar arms up in that heat so beteween heat 2-3 we pulled the swaybar and swapped the battery.

Heat 3 was fun trying to drive around the freshly wetted track, I blew the corner after the stadium jump and I guess the truck behind me followed the same line. I have some more footage from the 3rd heat I will post as soon as I get it from my friend.

A huge thanks goes out to Ryan Seargent for letting me borrow a suit and helmet last minute. Another big Thanks to George and the entire VORRA crew for putting up with the new kid on the block. Hopefully some more new racers show up soon so I don't have to be "that guy" all season. All in all the weekend was a total success. Having the same people you compete with come up and offer a hand is the best form of sport I have participated in. Im looking forward to getting out there at the next race on April 21st (my B-day) and running the thing as hard as I can. Thanks to Kevin, Jonah, Ryan, the other Ryan, Crusty, Jim and everyone else that has been supportive along the way.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fernley1

Your car looked good out there last weekend. Wecome to VORRA, and hope to see you out there next month.

indefab

Your car looked good out there last weekend. Wecome to VORRA, and hope to see you out there next month.
Thanks, Heading up to go do some more work on it tomorrow/fri and a test day saturday at PC.
If anyone else wants to come out and play or go for a ride we should be there most of the day.

Hopefully by the next race we will have a little more dialed-in setup.
I got alot of good advise from the other racers and my list is now much longer. See ya'll at the next one.

y2kbaja

You looked good out there Sunday. Congrats on the win!
I have a few good shots but those are for Dusty Times and RDC front page. Here is a shot I like.

Attachments