India’s First Superlite Buggy Made From A Honda CBR929RR Engine

Jake barrell

When ex-motorcross racer and Desert Storm winner Sanjay Gondkar wanted to transition from two to four wheels, he decided to build himself something light and fast that resonated his love for motorcycles was well as his progression into cars. The result was this lightweight buggy that uses a Honda CBR929RR Fireblade engine mated to a custom chassis and carefully selected set of parts and components.

Superlite buggies are machines that have a custom made chassis, mated to a motorcycle engine and drivetrain. This results in an extremely light machine that weighs in the range of 400-450kg. For the engine, Sanjay chose a Honda CBR929RR engine that produces about 150 horsepower, which when combined with a lightweight chassis provides optimal power to weight ratio that results in a competition-worthy machine.

Watch the Full Video-

elmariachi

These are big in Australia as short course racers.

Hyper Racer | Race Car | Australia

The Barracuda by Edge Racing - $7,500 USD

MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community

Main issue with these is the chain over heating and breaking. There are direct connection transaxles but the cost starts to touch Mendeola prices.

Also, the engines don't have much torque unless you start to redline the motor. This is probably why only see these on short course and at the dunes.

You're better off with a SxS or in one of the already established limited classes if you want to go racing.

yamaducci

I have been interested in the Barracuda for years and don't see a class it would fit in besides sportsman. I am currently building a Taipan Buggy by the Edge Products for my daughter. My next step would be the Barracuda or the X2 2-seater. If I could race either one of them in a pro class I would start building sooner rather than later. The ZX-14 engine is a newer solid choice. I have not heard of the chain being the weak link but if that is the case then a double roller could be adapted. Comparing those cars average speed with all other classes raced here in the USA; these light buggies could beat Trophy trucks and bikes on total time. My questions have always been what breaks on them that would limit them as a great desert endurance platform? High revving engine grenades, suspension, drivetrain, or driver?