INFO ON DODGE RAMCHARGERS

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WAS DONE AND WHO BUILT IT I JUST GOT A REAL CLEAN RAMCHARGER CHEAP I WAS WONDERING WHO BUILT THE CORONA ONE WHAT ARMS SPINDALS AND WHAT SHOCKS IF ALL POSSIBLE

THANKS

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Lucas-

Congrats on the Ramcharger!

Steve Sourapas's Ramcharger is an ex-Walker Evans prerunner. Everything custom built in-house I'm sure. Just about Class 8 legal too.

Stop playin' with golf carts and VW's, and get to work on the new ride!

Later!

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "ex-Walker Evans prerunner. Everything custom built in-house I'm sure. Just about Class 8 legal too."

Tony,
Probably has some of our stuff on it from the old days. Hard to tell after it's changed hands a few times.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

toddz

Reaction
Dave:

I'm sure it has your hubs on it yet! One of my all-time favorite prerunners.

Todd Z.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Does anybody have any pics? I haven't seen that one in a while.

See ya in the dirt!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I AGREE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME MORE ALSO. SOUNDS LIKE I NEED TO BUILD MORE GOLF CARTS TO PAY FOR THE NEW TOY. HEY TONY YOU NEED ONE RIGHT LOL J/K I DONT THINK I AM GOING TO SELL MY MANX TO BUILD IT THOUGH IT IS TO FUN TO DRIVE A TUBE CHASSIS MANX ON THE STREET BYE BYE HONDAS LOL

DougM

Reaction
heres some pix courtesy of Eric @ Go-Dez

Attachments

• 6-31814-dodge1.jpg
    6-31814-dodge1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,385

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Dave,I bought it directly from Walker and have been the only owner since 1996.The only thing that we have changed on it since we got it was we put a set of King by-pass shocks on it and lowered it about 5",man are those by-pass shocks loud(click,click,click).It's been a very reliable pre-runner with very little maintenance needed.I did break a 4130 billet steering slider last year at the Baja 1000 at the bottom of the summit,that was a real miracle fix to get it out of there.I might be selling it to build a Ford pre-runner very soon.Dave,I think your made the billet spindles and up rights for all of Walker's trucks,those things are bullet proof.

BEERMAN

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "Dave,I think your made the billet spindles and up rights for all of Walker's trucks,those things are bullet proof."

Steve,
Yea, we did a pile of those things for Walker over the years. The upright is made from billet 4340 and heat treated to Rc 50-52. The early spindles were made from 300M but Walker finally broke one so we converted them to Maraging. If you ever have to change the spindle out of the upright give us a call. There is a specific procedure that has to be followed so as to not ruin the bore in the upright. Also takes a custom tool to re-torque the spindle retainer nut which we still have.

Dave

Bryan_D

Reaction
Does anyone use Dodge trucks as pre-runners anymore or even as a tow vehicle? I want a 4x4 dodge diesel 3/4 ton and was wondering if anyone makes any sort of suspension for them at all? Since you guys were talking about Dodges I thought maybe you would know? Thanks if there is any hope.

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "I want a 4x4 dodge diesel 3/4 ton"

Bryan,
I have a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 ton with a Cummins diesel and It's a street vehicle only. The engine in that thing is extremely heavy and I don't think it would make a very good prerunner. The power curve with the diesel is also not to practical for prerunning. They just don't make much power unless you can stay on throttle, get the exhaust plenty hot, spool up the turbo and make some boost. It's really designed more for towing than anything else. When your on and off the throttle constantly the turbo never gets a chance to spool up. Also, diesels have virtually no compression braking and that would require a whole different driving style in the dirt.

Dave

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Dave...sounds like you need 2 stage turbo so you can spool it up on demand! :) JK

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

Bryan_D

Reaction
But as a chase vehicle carrying tires to a distant checkpoint one day it should be ok correct? The reason I want some suspension is I want to fit a larger tire. ON a 3/4 ton 4x4 the rear sits pretty high up what size tire do you think I could run, even if I had to pull the bedsides? Thanks for the response Dave. Also does the banks exhaust really give you like over 150 hp and some rediculous amount of torque just from the bends in the exhaust and a larger diameter pipe? Must be pretty constricted if thats true. Also how much can you tweak the turbos? SOrry for so many questions just wondering if this truck I am planning to get will do what I need.

Dave_G

Reaction
The Banks mods also has to do with the injector pump tweaking as well as exhaust. The weak link in trying to pump up the Cummins is the transmission. Yea, you can get lots more HP out of it but the transmission won't put up with it. The firing pulses transmitted to the transmission is violent enough as it is. Boosting the HP just makes this problem worse. If I was you I'd be looking at the Chevy with the Duramax diesel and the Allison trans for what you want to do instead of the Dodge.

Dave

Donahoe

Reaction
Steve if you ever are out pre-running and get really hungry there is a mini Chimi Changa in the a-post pillar tube on the drivers side In your pre-runner... Little Fabricator Practical joke we Played on Walker... Its air tight so it should still be yummy... LOL

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

michael_loomis

Reaction
speaking of dodges....have you guys seen the SRT-10 pickup? im a chevy guy , but that thing is BAD!!
all viper components , 0-60 in like 5.3 seconds, whew! thats gonna be tough to beat

Bryan_D

Reaction
Doesnt it have a HEMI in it? Glad to see the hemi back, eventhough I wasnt alive when they went away originally.