• Forum membership has its advantages....

INFORMATION NEEDED

chamlin

Hello, i am hoping that someone knows the history of this machine i picked up. I know very little and anything helps. I believe it is a 1980 Chenowth frame and it does have a Lee Leighton motor. It was raced in the 1982 Pernod parker AZ 400 and the 1982 Pernod San Felipe 250

Attachments

Bro_Gill

From the carb, looks a very nicely saved old school class 9 car when thet were 1200cc. Cool find and don't update it!

y2kbaja

That is such a cool find and time piece! @burro8

LantanaTX

I believe I found the car on Trackside photo at the '82 Baja 500. Drivers were Kruger and Lester. Give us all the data on the chassis tag. I decode it for you and the serial number can be compared to some known cars to estimate when it was built. It is also possible that it was originally Jim Guthrie's car who is the brother of indy car driver Janet Guthrie. Look for the chassis tag on the tubes near the base of the driver's side A pillar. This is a very nice car!!!! It would be great to see it race NORRA with us.

LantanaTX

I believe I found the car on Trackside photo at the '82 Baja 500. Drivers were Kruger and Lester. Give us all the data on the chassis tag. I can decode it for you and the serial number can be compared to some known cars to estimate when it was built. It is also possible that it was originally Jim Guthrie's car who is the brother of indy car driver Janet Guthrie. Look for the chassis tag on the tubes near the base of the driver's side A pillar. This is a very nice car!!!! It would be great to see it race NORRA with us.

chamlin

I believe I found the car on Trackside photo at the '82 Baja 500. Drivers were Kruger and Lester. Give us all the data on the chassis tag. I can decode it for you and the serial number can be compared to some known cars to estimate when it was built. It is also possible that it was originally Jim Guthrie's car who is the brother of indy car driver Janet Guthrie. Look for the chassis tag on the tubes near the base of the driver's side A pillar. This is a very nice car!!!! It would be great to see it race NORRA with us.
here is the tag i found thank you for the help

Attachments

LantanaTX

I am 100% certain that is John Kruger's car and Norm Lester raced it with him. It is definitely not Jim Guthrie's car becase his car and the Kruger car both raced the 1981 Baja 500. There are a bunch of photos of your car racing on Trackside Photo. go to search and enter Kruger as the search term and you will see the car racing the '81 and '82 Mint 400 and the '81 and '82 Baja 500. The chassis plate says it is a Chromemoly, Chenowth 1000 single seat, Race car, 100" wheelbase. 1144 serial number is a little over 100 chassis later than my car and Mark Stahl's car which were both early 1977 (1033 and 1036). Get a hold of Jim Ober from Trackside Photo's and he will send you all the photos on a disc (for a small fee, but worth it). Back then then the difference between a 9 car and a class 1 car was the engine. I hope you will consider bringing it to NORRA and race with us in the Legend Buggy class.

chamlin

I am 100% certain that is John Kruger's car and Norm Lester raced it with him. It is definitely not Jim Guthrie's car becase his car and the Kruger car both raced the 1981 Baja 500. There are a bunch of photos of your car racing on Trackside Photo. go to search and enter Kruger as the search term and you will see the car racing the '81 and '82 Mint 400 and the '81 and '82 Baja 500. The chassis plate says it is a Chromemoly, Chenowth 1000 single seat, Race car, 100" wheelbase. 1144 serial number is a little over 100 chassis later than my car and Mark Stahl's car which were both early 1977 (1033 and 1036). Get a hold of Jim Ober from Trackside Photo's and he will send you all the photos on a disc (for a small fee, but worth it). Back then then the difference between a 9 car and a class 1 car was the engine. I hope you will consider bringing it to NORRA and race with us in the Legend Buggy class.
thank you so very much for the information

chamlin

How about some back story, where did you find it?
I have been helping a gentleman that has a very unique car collection sell some of the vehicles he has. When i showed some interest in the Baja racer he offered it to me. HIs name is Larry Schmueser of Schmueser Racing and knows one of the people that raced it. I run a VW dealership and really liked the Vw history behind it so i purchased it from him as a conversation piece for the dealership and also as a investment but really want to try to preserve the original vehicle so I want it to go to some one that will continue its legacy and appreciate it. I just really dont know much about it.