On Topic Inmarsat phones

Zambo

I’ve always rented Iridium phones. Anybody ever use Inmarsat? Is the service okay in Baja? Any other input on using these phones during races....dialing, texting, etc?

fishd00d

What A Joke
I’ve always rented Iridium phones. Anybody ever use Inmarsat? Is the service okay in Baja? Any other input on using these phones during races....dialing, texting, etc?
One of the teams I was doing Fishgistics tracking for at the race this last weekend had problems calling sat phone to sat phone with the Inmarsat phones, they had to call me and then I had to call the other sat phone. Not sure if they were doing something wrong or what was the issue. They worked when I called them from here in the US though.

Zambo

One of the teams I was doing Fishgistics tracking for at the race this last weekend had problems calling sat phone to sat phone with the Inmarsat phones, they had to call me and then I had to call the other sat phone. Not sure if they were doing something wrong or what was the issue. They worked when I called them from here in the US though.
Thanks. Sounds like some sort of dialing issue if they were working otherwise. I know those old Globalstar phones had terrible service down there. BTW, did they have their phones set up with a US 10 digit number alias?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Thanks. Sounds like some sort of dialing issue if they were working otherwise. I know those old Globalstar phones had terrible service down there. BTW, did they have their phones set up with a US 10 digit number alias?
No they did not. I had to dial the full long sat phone number. Probably cost me like $10 each time lmao

dezert_nerd

I’ve used the IsatPhone Pro before in Baja. It worked to make the call, but it wasn’t like talking on an Iridium, I’ll put it that way. There was a delay when talking as well as the other person on the line sounding like garbage. But you can make it work. The satellite network isn’t like the iridium network from my understanding either. If it were me, I’d buy (or rent) an iridium phone every time. Compare the 2 satellite networks and you’ll see what I mean. Inmarsat’s is weird to say the least, at least IMO.