Installation cost?

SJP12

Reaction
Getting some Fabtech 31/2" lift spindales and extended brake lines on my 2001 S-10, what would be a ball park price for the install i'd be expecting to pay?

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

WFODAN

Reaction
Website
www.chaosfab.com
I say go for it yourself . I did my roomates truck for him a while ago and it only took me like 3 hours total to do the job myself . I wasn't working on it too hard either . With that in mind just ask around and figure a few hours labor time from a shop . Hope that helps .

Dan Vance

singlehanded

Reaction
most shops charge around 65 bucks and hour. I'd expect them to charge anywhere from 1 hundred to two hundred bucks. I would do it your self most bolt on kits are a peice of cake to install.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

SJP12

Reaction
What tools would be needed to install a set of lift spindals and change the brake lines?

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

Tyson

Reaction
Website
www.race-dezert.com
lug wrench for tires,
Jack,
jack stands,
Pickle fork,
possibly a sledge hammer - or at least a hammer
Misc wrenches for getting the calipers off existing spindles.
7/16 or 1/2" wrench for brake lines.
brake fluid,
a friend to help you bleed the lines after

Though when I did the 4" spindles on my Silverado I didn't need to extend the brake lines.

Good luck
Take you time, its not that hard

Look at me, I can fly
wink.gif

Check It</font color=red>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Are you sure you need to remove the balljoints. Dont the balljoints stay in the control arms and the new spindle slips in or am i missing something?

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I know that but dont the ball joints just simply drop into the spindle? The ball joints are part of the control arms and you only need a ball joint seprator tool if you are taking the ball joints off the control arms. right? Am i stil missing something?

AZmiik

Reaction
The wedging action of the ball joint shaft has been known not to just slip off. Most of the time it takes a remover or a pickle fork and some cussing.

Mike

redline

Reaction
all it takes to remove the spindle from the ball joints on a s10 is a couple of hits of the hammer to the spindle where the bj goes into it (DO NOT HIT THE BJ!) and wah lah off comes the spindle. just putting spindles and brake lines on really shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

dunerking

Reaction
Well I think they are talking about the tie rods for your steering.You will have to remove those unless you have some fly-by-wire set up.

hit it hard

jarreptolson

Reaction
remember to support the lower arm with the jack when using the pickle fork or else you are in for a little suprise

00TRDTaco

Reaction
Make sure the brake lines you got are the correct ones. When I had my sonoma lifted, the shop that installed the lift (Xtreme Image) made their own brake lines. I sold my truck a while ago, so I can't really remember why, but I think the banjo fitting on the Fabtech lines are incorrect.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Website
www.pfluegerracing.com
Most of the time with s-10 spindles you need to notch the caliper to use the brake lines and so that they do not pinch on the arm when it turns, that is probably all they did.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

00TRDTaco

Reaction
There you go, i knew it was something like that, but I couldn't remember. But I know for a fact that they didn't do that, because I had to wait an extra day to get my truck back because of it. They normally stocked the lines, but they had ran out for my truck, and the shop that made them was closed.