Installing pully on PS pump

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I need to install a pulley on my PS pump. Is there any secrets I should know before I try?

NicksTrix

Reaction
justin pretty well summed it up. simple as that. go to the autoparts store and get the rental if you don't have one.
to install it's pretty much a bolt, thick flat washer and a nut. hold the bolt that is screwed into the pump shaft, screw the nut down onto the washer to evenly press the pulley down the shaft. some lube on the washer and nut bottom are a good thing.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
Well there you go, I didn't even know there was an installing tool. I'll check with a auto parts store.

loufish

Reaction
I don't want to insult you, but make sure you press it on correctly, meaning there is a groove cut on the outside of the pully to get it off the pump shaft and I have seen guys press those things on groove side first....you won't be able to get it off the shaft...

On units with 3/8" thread I use a gr 8 stud into the shaft with a F9 type tall nut with a couple of lubed washers to do the install. Some lube on the fhreads helps also...For the metric versions I own the tool...

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I don't want to insult you, but make sure you press it on correctly, meaning there is a groove cut on the outside of the pully to get it off the pump shaft and I have seen guys press those things on groove side first....you won't be able to get it off the shaft...

On units with 3/8" thread I use a gr 8 stud into the shaft with a F9 type tall nut with a couple of lubed washers to do the install. Some lube on the fhreads helps also...For the metric versions I own the tool...
no insult, good to know. I'm dumb enough not to know how a pully goes on...could be dumb enough to install it backwards:rolleyes:

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I got the pully on. Now does it get a bolt to hold the pully on or just press fit?