• Forum membership has its advantages....

Instead of a bypass

Mikey villareal

Instead of a bypass has anyone use a smooth body shock? Was curious i have been told alot of guys do it since it is cheaper then buying bypasses....what's your take on this i thought about trying it out but wanted to see if anyone has a set up like this life running a smooth body that's been revalved?

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Everybody ran smooth body shocks before there were bypasses. I wonder why many switched.

Maybe they work better.

What are you going to do, and how well do you hope to do it?

Mikey villareal

Yea i get that and understand that but here's where the direction my question was supposed to be..I'm talking about using them in the front with a coilover..usually everyone runs a coilover along with a bypass correct..well since not everyone has a 1.000 bucks laying around i wonder if revalving a smith body resi shock to stick on the front as well that kinda acts as a bypass..

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
No. But good performance can be obtained with a correctly valved smooth body - just not as good as a dialed-in bypass.

Try talking to Lee Finke in Phoenix: (602)505-3700 or [email protected].

619offroad

Yes it will help the c/o temperature wise. More shocks more fluid= longevity. With that said of course you will not get the progression of a bypass. But you can valve the shocks to have progressive valving. For instance the shim stack in the shock would have 2-10s then 2-15s then 2-20s. That's just my 2 cents

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Mikey villareal

Thank you guys for the input i really appreciate it..yea i know it won't be as effective as a bypass..I'm just thinking it loud because you can scan the Web and see these shocks a dime a dozen just figured i may look into it and see what the effects were..also i do know Lee he's a great guy love talking to him when i do he's full of knowledge and experience.. but i think if im gonna spend the money on bypasses id rather through them on the back of my truck and get rid of my resi lol

cosmo

Super Moderator
A smooth body shock can be made into a bypass shock in the future. You can then also dictate the tube lay out as well. 619 off road, what kind of valving are you talking about? Bleed holes can play a small part as well.

619offroad

So as far as the shims in the shock let's say the compression side. There are normally 6 shims per side, each one of the 6 vary in diameter. So the 2 biggest diameter shims would be .010, Then the next two would be .012, then the next 2 would be .015. So in doing so as the fluid goes through the piston, it will engage the lighter shim (.010). Those shims will then load the heavier shims in the stack. Just something that I have played with and I like what it has done for me. I know there are some really good people to talk to, one is bill at mirage in santee. He has years of experience and is pleasure to work with.

cosmo

Super Moderator
So as far as the shims in the shock let's say the compression side. There are normally 6 shims per side, each one of the 6 vary in diameter. So the 2 biggest diameter shims would be .010, Then the next two would be .012, then the next 2 would be .015. So in doing so as the fluid goes through the piston, it will engage the lighter shim (.010). Those shims will then load the heavier shims in the stack. Just something that I have played with and I like what it has done for me. I know there are some really good people to talk to, one is bill at mirage in santee. He has years of experience and is pleasure to work with.

Interesting.

retroblazer

I run a pair of smooth body Bilsteins 9100's at each corner up front. They work fine. Is there something better, absolutely. You could always have tubes added, if desired. A good shock guy, can get you pretty close. The last time my shocks were dialed in by another RDC'er, Ramsey El Wardani. It made a huge difference. So, save your money to go play, and enjoy dialing your shocks in.
We all wish, and few can, buy the latest exotica. If all waited until we had perfect cars, we'd be missing a hell of a lot of fun. If you are a pro, and make your living at racing, then yes, perfect is what is needed, but most of us fools do this for enjoyment.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Yes it will help the c/o temperature wise. More shocks more fluid= longevity. With that said of course you will not get the progression of a bypass. But you can valve the shocks to have progressive valving. For instance the shim stack in the shock would have 2-10s then 2-15s then 2-20s. That's just my 2 cents

I do like the freedom of more custom adjustability with bypasses. But my question is with your statement "more shocks more fluid= longevity. I think only if you increase the shock size or a bigger resivor. If you had shock "A" on your car. you added shock "B" That doesn't ad more fluid to shock "A" at all. Maybe you meant adding a 2nd shock your car will help the shock but remember you will want to soften up the dampening so its not way to stiff. Your still going to get the most travel out of your shock package no matter how many shocks you have.
So in reality you will want to increase the shock size or diameter if you needed to increase the life span or had an over heating problem.

Mikey villareal

Ok i get what your saying...so I'm running a 2.5x10 coilover resi and yes i wish i had the money for bypasses but i think if im gonna save our spend the money id rather have them on the back along with me deavers but i was just looking to help the front ride quality..maybe my dual Rate is to much idk...I'm running 500/700 99 f150 5.4 I'm running a velocity raceworks kit

619offroad

The spring rate seems to be close. How long are each spring? But do you know what are in the shocks currently? And yes Walsh Motorsports you are correct. All that's all I was trying to say by adding a 2nd shock is it will help take some load off the c/o. Also by doing so would help the shock temperatures.

Mikey villareal

I also do not recall what the valving is in these coilovers I just had to rebuild I can ask the guy who rebuild them if you happen to see what was in there if he hadn't then I have no idea they were on the truck when I got it

*TRD*

Why not go to a 3" coilover instead of two 2.5's?

Coilovers with flutter stacks work well, but aren't a replacement for bypass shocks.

DeRaRa

Run the smooth body. The bypasses are overkill unless your racing, or have a well built prerunner.