Insurance on a prerunner style truck

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have a 93 ranger with full glass, bent beam lift, 33's and front and rear bolt on prerunner bumpers. I rear ended a guy a couple days ago and im debatiing on claiming it. I was told that since my truck has a bigger bumper that my rates will go up, and they might even cancel it because of the mods. What should I do? Does anyone here have their mods covered and how much more do you pay? Any info would be great, thanks.

LVprerunners.com

slimjim

Reaction
there was a thread a couple weeks ago about insurance that might have some helpfull info in it. personally i would avoid a claim if i could afford it. the less they know the better. i guess it depends on how bad the other vehicle is. insuring your modifications is expensive usually.

put on your seatbelt...

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
First off I've never had any mods covered on either of my trucks 92'&97' ranger. In 96' I rolled my 92' (bent beams,radius arms, glass, dual foxes,beards,5-points) about 2:00 in the morning driving backwards(it seemed cool spinning it around!) well it landed on its lid my insurance co. totaled it, crushed cab. They took pic's when i got it insured,but had no additional coverage, to get the money out of it they just wanted to see receipts for all the mods even for stuff previously done (truck was lifted when i bought it). I would of got all the money about 12,000 but when the seller and I wrote the bill of sale he agreed to put it for only 8,000, hardly less but cheaper still. Some insurance companies will only pay out a maximum of what you bought the truck for,UNLESS you get additional coverage.
I ended up with 8,000 grand and bought the truck back for 1,200.

In 01' i my 97' on my way to kartek just crossing mckinley and bam an old lady ran the light at the railroad track, hit the passenger front wheel broke my radius arm bent my I-beam broke 2 shocks and then slid under my truck and flipped it over.------------ Same deal just had to provide receipts for all the parts and this time I made out. Totaled the truck,I kept it (this time for free) sort of fixed it and the best part is the ladies Insurance claims person never filed the salvage title.

Maybe I've been lucky getting the money for my mods,but if additional coverage is relatively cheap I would defenietly get it

Attachments

martininsocal

Reaction
Craig- who is your insurance through? Sounds like a "realistic" company that isn't out to screw you.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

FABRICATOR

Reaction
You also have to know what the driver of the other car is claiming. If you settle on your own, which is perfectly all right, make sure the other party has no further claims of loss or injury. This needs to be done in writing.

<font color=blue>"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"</font color=blue>

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Oh I forgot that, up until that first rollover I had a clean record,perfect. I was 20 I think when I rolled it,and as soon as my renewal came up I was cancelled for "high liability" this was from MERCURY INSURANCE. I now have some unheard of to me Bristol West from a local agency, but I never even delt with my ins. in the last accident.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
I have mercury insurance and I brought my truck to them with mods. They told me that my mods are not covered even if I paid an additional premium. So the way it works is if i break a shock in an accident they pay for a new stock shock. Or, if my bumper breaks, they pay for a new stock bumper. They give me this money, and I use it toward fixing my custom stuff. Many times stock stuff is more expensive such as a bumper. Stock Toyota bumper goes for around 1k, and mine cost 500, so I would actually make out. This is what I have understood their policy to be but I have yet to test it out. By the way, I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

robert_encinas

Reaction
i also have bristol west, thru a.i.s.
they told me that unless i parked my truck inside my garage they wouldnt cover my tools that i have in my truck, for theft.
my wife's windstar is also covered thru them, her tire was slashed at a local bar here and they said that they dont cover acts of vandalism.

tedmales

Reaction
the best coverage i could find is through allstate. but its kinda high, the brand x companies are usually cheaper, but if you check it out, sometimes a prime company is not a bad deal, but all insurance is a rip off. but gotta have so ............

life is too short to be small

michael_loomis

Reaction
i had bristol west.....they covered my vandalized (smashed out) rear window.

wouldnt do anything for my bent frame though (was 1 week late on my payment..OUCH ! )

JeffS

Reaction
I've had really good luck with StateFarm ins. They have been ok with all my claims and even covered my class7s race truck since it was licensed street legal, they said it wasn't covered during competition, but was covered if I rolled it while testing or prerunning... cool I thought, but luckily never had to test them on it.
I did test them when I stuffed my ranger into a dune hard enough to make the airbag go off and hose the bumper and grill... they covered it all.
They also have "no ductable on glass" coverage for pretty cheap... that will save you a fortune in windshields.
Maybe I just found a cool agent.

- Jeff S.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.