intake question

blind655

Reaction
On the chevy Vortec motors, what does the box on the intake do? I really don't know why a hollow box hooked up to it would help. Does it smooth out the air flow?? Did chevy just need a place to put the Vortec logo??
Any ideas?

here are some pics to help

(not my truck)

thanks
mike

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

tkr

Reaction
My guess is less noise...

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
more volume without extra lenght. Helps tune the intake track and some noise cancelation due to harmonics. Like the boost bottles they used to sell for 2 strokes...

Chris

Reaction
no,no,no,no that is your turn signal reservior, better not take that out or your muffler bearing will wear out. =)

tkr

Reaction
Ohhh ya!! Now I remember. Its the Fetzer Valve...I always get those confused with the Dorfinators!! While on the subject of Suburbans, you should make sure you use only Halogen headlamp fluid.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I thought that was a storage box for air - you know, for when you rotate the air in your tires.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I would go with what patybarge said, I would go and try to make a custom intake if thats what you trying to do the computers are programed to run off the stock components and a major change like a new intake could mess with it worst case make the motor run way too lean....Mike

everyone thinks they are superman when the camera is pointed at them...untill they land!!!

jeff

Reaction
My 2000 Dakota with the new 4.7 Magnum V8 has a similar airhat. A few months after I bought the truck I took the airhat off and ran a custom home built cold air tube to the throttle body. It made the intake of air under the hood quite loud - like a giant (very loud) sucking sound... behind the wheel I could also tell a difference in the exhaust note - deeper and sounded like my stock muffler had been replaced with a 70 series Flowmaster. Even with the cold air intake running to a big old honkin K&N conical filter I noticed no appreciable performance increase... all it did was make everything louder. Loud makes you feel like your going faster but my butt dyno said otherwise. I decided on re-installing the airhat and running the tube/hose to it - the noise was back to normal and performance seemed to be the same. Based on the internal design of the airhat I would say it's more for noise than anything else. Some of the hardcore Dakota guys have said that when they removed the airhat from their engines and ran a few dyno tests the results were WORSE than with it installed. My guess is the GM designed airhat is similar... some GM engineer put that box on there for a reason and if I were you I'd leave it be. The stock computer should be able to tweak the fuel to meet the increased airflow of an aftermarket intake - I've seen 11-second Camaros run all sorts of intake/head tweaks on the stock computer programming with perfect air/fuel readings.

ntsqd

Reaction
My rule of thumb for stuff like that is similar to your line of reasoning. Some Engineer had a good enough reason for it being necessary that he was able to get a Costing Accountant to sign off on it. Until you figure out what that reason was, and if it applies to your application, leave it alone.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

blind655

Reaction
thanks for all the info everyone. I was looking at the K&N web page and saw with their intakes they dont use that box. Ive got a Stillen intake and figured I would take it off and cap the hole. After a day of driving with it, the truck seemed to work just fine. The reason I wanted to take it off is that when I am offroad it bounces around (i think because I cant see it lol) and it causes my intake to come off the throttle body. This caused the little clip that holds it on to break off. I am using a lot of Edelbrock power bond tape to hold it on and seal it. Seem to work well, check engine light doesn't come on. So I'll keep running like this and see what happens.

later
Mike

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

blind655

Reaction
oh yeah... Chris I had my muffler bearings changed a few weeks ago. So i think the are going to be ok

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Its a diffuser....the same thing most air conditioning ducts have before the outlet. It allows the same volume of air through at a lower decibel level and lower velocity. Changing this out will definatly increase noise and could possibly decrease performance due to turbulent flow inside the intake. That truck looks brand new...leave it alone....engineers build things for a reason. Think about the cost savings of not producing that part! I cannont even begin to estimate, but if it is on there it is useful.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"