Interested in fiberglass doors for Toyotas?

curt

Reaction
I tried a year or two to get one of the glass players to make up fiberglass doors for the 89-92 body Toyota truck like Boatec has for the ranger and Tacoma but they weren't interested unless I gave them the doors and paid for the molds. A friend has a sponsor who makes some good glass and might be willing to mold both the 89-95 and the ?-88 body style. These will have the A-Pillar, door, and B-pillar all in one piece and stop at the glass opening on the back of the truck. For Corr you must use a metal roof and you will also need to run a metal cab back up to the lower opening of the window. I'm getting tired of sectioning cab pieces when we get hit or roll and Toyota doors are rediculously expensive, so I'm really interested but I'd like to give the guy some extra motivation as to potential quantity of buyers that this might be helpful to. Obviously this is for racing only and your door won't open anymore so its Dukes of Hazzard style truck entries and exits.....Curt

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you pay for the molds...you own the molds...so make them cut you in on sales if anymore get sold!

curt

Reaction
We're still in the infant stages of this, I hope to have some prices by the end of the week, but I'm hoping its somwhere between $1-$200 per side....Curt

fnkrngr

Reaction
if its not that hard ,describe how one might do it

hoeker

Reaction
FWIW i had boatec quote custom molded bedsides for my flairside stocker. these were 450 each from the factory, and boatec quoted 500 for the molds, and normal price for the fenders, 125 i think. bottom line 2 sets and i would have been ahead. i ended finding some used panels and never did it. but if i had, the molds would have been mine and if i wanted to sell parts, that was up to me, not boatec, because they were my molds.
on my stocker i made doors out of 3 peices of sheet metal. used the factory top, almost flat center section, then a lower section that had all the contour in it. this worked great, the center was the only part that got damaged on a regular basis, and was the easiest part to change. a little creative sheet metal work and it's a great option.

curt, FYI corr does not require a metal roof in the the truck classes sporty 2 and up. many guys run fiberglass and even if you do run steel you need to have another plate above the drivers head.

curt

Reaction
I remember watching when Evan tore up his truck in a rollover and they were saying on TV somthing about the metal on over his head and possibibly getting black flagged, I assumed it was the a metal roof they were talkig about, I never thought about an extra piece below. Our biggest problem isn't the doors although they're expensive enough, its the back lower corner of the cab that is a pain to fix whrn someone drills you. The fiberglass guy is going to cover the cost of the molds and based on his prices for the other stuff he's offering, the prices will be reasonable, about the same as a used door, but we can fix it ourselves if the damage isn't very bad.... Curt

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Get a nice strait door, take every thing off, wax the everliving crap out of it (they make a special wax just for this) and start glassing. Use a heavy cloth. When it's set up glass some ribs (2X4's, whatever) on the back side for strenght. Trim anyunwanted over hang and remove doorand fix any imperfactions (air bubbles or voids). Walla, now you have a mold. Now to make your part, wax the everliving crap out of it (they make a special wax just for this) and start glassing ...........

Personally, I hate working with glass and would pay someone else to do it.....