• Forum membership has its advantages....

interested in finding a old Rod Hall dodge for norra....

toddz

I know of at least 4 - there are 3 different ones in this thread and I have a Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off Road from the mid 80s where they did a build on his new/lighter/improved Class 4 truck, which was around '83/'84 as I recall.

Todd Z.

OldStroppeTeam

Rod Hall started racing a Dodge in 1977, your saying he only had 3 dodge trucks in the whole time?
YES, Only 3 trucks out of Stroppe. There might have been a 4th built in Reno.
Yeah, If you count the one that was wadded at Mexicali, that would be 4..That truck was Brand NEW. Just a few test miles on it..
The legend is that Rod was supposed to leave for the East African Safari the next morning and he was "a little " distracted. That's the story, and were stickin to it.

toddz

Karl - wasn't the #400 truck (long wheelbase, quarter elliptics on all 4 corners) built in Reno?

Todd Z.

Prep by Jake

that's for all the info guys. I spoke with rod and chad at last years norra and they told me the newest truck quarter liptical one was in Texas I believe he said.. but the front spring were taken off.. any body know if this is true? about being in Texas?

I heard they only raced a truck for a couple years, then sold them. There were a couple of them that raced VORRA back in the early 1980 (one was a guy named Block, I think) and there was an old truck in Encinitas way back in around 1987 right along the coast highway that was an old Hall Dodge. These were all early trucks, but the builder was obvious. The Block guy in VORRA, I believe he had a couple of Rod's trucks as I remember he got one of the Fleetsides later.

The guy you are thinking of is Kent Bullock, he and his son are friends of mine. Kent's truck was built by him with help from friends. I bought the truck around 2001. Kents son is on here I think his name is bullock1 if you want to see some more pics.

Josh 8

That's a cool picture. The trucks a class 4 4x4. It's linked with what looks like a Dana 60 rear. And the front looks like a Dana 44. I would guess it's a 60. But it neat to see a truck like that because in the day was so radical. Now it's would be considered barely adequate to prerun with.

I like it.

toddz

That's a cool picture. The trucks a class 4 4x4. It's linked with what looks like a Dana 60 rear. And the front looks like a Dana 44. I would guess it's a 60. But it neat to see a truck like that because in the day was so radical. Now it's would be considered barely adequate to prerun with.

I like it.
You are absolutely correct on the axles. That's my favorite of Rod's trucks - it was built to try and stay competitive with Jack Johnson's Class 4 Nissan - the last of his Stroppe-built trucks. The truck was eventually outlawed in Class 4 and I know the boys raced it in Class 1 a time or two. I wish I knew where it is today - if it still exists.

Todd Z.

Josh 8

What really takes me back about the truck is how simple it is. It would not be difficult to build a replica of it due to most of those parts being stock. Back in the day a truck like that is all I could think about owning.

I forgot how simple they were. I hate to say it but I really don't think things have gotten any better. The 90's were the high point for off-road racing.

Last edited:

retroblazer

You are absolutely correct on the axles. That's my favorite of Rod's trucks - it was built to try and stay competitive with Jack Johnson's Class 4 Nissan - the last of his Stroppe-built trucks. The truck was eventually outlawed in Class 4 and I know the boys raced it in Class 1 a time or two. I wish I knew where it is today - if it still exists.

Todd Z.
Are there any build articles on his last two Dodge trucks? I'm considering building a late 70's w100 for the JeepSpeed's intermediate class 3750, soon to be the 2700 class.

retroblazer

As soon as finished typing my last post, I walked into my family room, and dug through a couple of mags to find one for bathroom duty. Sure enough, I opened the 2016 Summer edition of RoadKill, and starting on page 68 through page 73, is an article titled "Rod Halls Cojones Are Bigger Than Yours". Beautiful, extra large color shots of many of the trucks that Rod has raced. The only thing missing, or I think is missing, are pictures of the Trail Duster or Ramcharger that they ran in the original Paris to Dakar/ East African Rally. I seem to recall a soft top version of one of them.

toddz

As soon as finished typing my last post, I walked into my family room, and dug through a couple of mags to find one for bathroom duty. Sure enough, I opened the 2016 Summer edition of RoadKill, and starting on page 68 through page 73, is an article titled "Rod Halls Cojones Are Bigger Than Yours". Beautiful, extra large color shots of many of the trucks that Rod has raced. The only thing missing, or I think is missing, are pictures of the Trail Duster or Ramcharger that they ran in the original Paris to Dakar/ East African Rally. I seem to recall a soft top version of one of them.
That's a great article and it gave further info on an article I didn't have in my collection - Freiberger mentions a Hot Rod article about the last truck so I tracked it down and bought it. I think it's the July '93 issue of Hot Rod. The coilover truck is profiled in an early 90s issue of Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off Road. Tom Madigan did a series of "Tech Notebook" articles on various race trucks of that era and that was one of them.

The truck Rod raced in Africa was a Chevy Blazer. It's in a museum in Oklahoma.

Todd Z.

OldStroppeTeam

[QUOTE="toddz,

The truck Rod raced in Africa was a Chevy Blazer. It's in a museum in Oklahoma.

Todd Z.[/QUOTE]
Rod raced several East African Safaris. There was a team put together by Montgomery Ward Auto Club that took I believe 3 Stroppe prepared RamChargers to Tanzania in 1981 ( Rod won his class). Trying to remember all the players , I'm thinking Malcom Smith may have been part of the effort as well. The soft top was put on when one (maybe 2) of those cars went to Australia, where Rod won the Repco Reliability Challenge in 81 or 82 .