internal bypass shocks

Zac Reish

What is the deal with internal bypass coil overs? are they adjustable? if so how? and if they are adjustable why are people running a coil over and a bypass. I have a class 5 style car with a beam and was entertaining the idea of adding a bypass with my coil over up front. the problem is that I would have to modify my front arms, add another shear to my shock towoers, and so on. If I can get an internal bypass coilover to do both jobs I would only have to change the shock. I saw a 12 car with this type of shock win the 07 baja 500 so I know it works but whats the best.

Mcarlson1

The adjustment is on top of the resivor, there are allen heads that adjust them by screwing in and out. I dont think that alot of people run em because they are pretty damn expensive and on a truck or class 1 youd have to get a 4 inch shock, i know that they run 4 inch bypasses but im not sure maybe someone can correct me on this but i think unless its a RG shock which has been R&D'd for ALOT of years of abuse that they arent perfected with the adjustments and the only other internal shock ive seen besides his is King on the suspension innovations gray f-150. Personally i think that a 4 inch internal bypass coil over would be AWESOME but thats just me. For your 5 car im sure you use a 2.5" or 2"? I dont know if a big name like king fox sway a way makes an internal that small so they might be kinda iffy on the settings. Does this make a little sense?? I think i confused myself lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Mcarlson1

I just googled internal bypass shocks and i saw that revolution racing makes 2.5-4" internal bypass shocks too. I have no clue if this company makes a good product or not though. Their website is www.rrshocks.com Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Mike

TauMau

Revolution shocks are internal bypass that are externally adjustable. They are the only real production type shock that utilizes this technology, however there are other internal bypass shocks which are not externally adjustable. The problem with these is that adjustment requires that you disassemble the shock in order to tune them by using different shims...Revolution shocks are a great alternative to the 1 bypass/1 coilover per corner setup, but run around $1500-1700.

It may sound crazy at first, but when you line it out on paper including cost to modify your front end and purchase bypass shocks, it'd likely be more economical to buy the Revolution shocks as you could even sell the coilovers you're currently running. Also keep in mind the setup would be much lighter then a two shock/corner setup. If I were in your position and had my heart set on externally adjustable bypass shocks, I'd go for the Revolution shocks

Zac Reish

those things look pretty cool. It does make a lot of sense. just wondering what the servicing is like on these things. you mentioned 1500 to 1700 is that per shock?

Dezertpilot

you mentioned 1500 to 1700 is that per shock?
I do believe so, and even more for the bigger versions. Remember like said you are now using 1 shock per corner so the RR shocks will be about twice as expensive as one shock.

TauMau

Rebuilds and such should be basically the same as an external bypass shock. The only difference is with these rather then having separate tubes for each stage, they've just drilled holes into the body. I would guesstimate 1 rebuild per year or two for a prerunner being proactively maintained. Others just let them go until a rebuild is needed (nothing wrong with that).

Yeah last I checked it's around $1500 for a single 2.5 and $1700 for a single 3.0 shock. I can only imagine what the 4.0s go for.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
run the fox internall bypasses that that majority of beam cars run up front.

ELITE10CAR

run the fox internall bypasses that that majority of beam cars run up front.
A lot of people do run the Fox's, but those that want to adjust theirs without a complete teardown might opt for the Revolution's. They are about twice the cost of a Fox, have 4 external adjustments (on the 2.5"), no shims to break, no fade, and have overalled two MDR races in a row (prior to the last one).

steveG

I have all the parts to assemble them. Now I just need to get off my butt and build mounts for them. I'd also like to find some new reservoirs, but if I can't I'll just run them as is.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Me too!

A little somtin' somtin' for my Bronco....
Nice find, do you have any history on them? I would think you could fit a newer Sway-a-way reservoir without any hassle.

steveG

No history on them. According to Sway-A-Way they were built some time in the early 90's. They were able to get me a few pages of literature on them... initial adjustments and such.

Any reservoirs will work, but I'm cheap and don't want to shell out a bunch of cash for them. I'd like to find something from the same era, but stuff like that is hard to come by. I have some Fox reservoirs that I can use, but it would be nice to keep them all SAW. I'm looking forward to putting them into service. I am worried that they're not going to do poop at low shaft speeds (bad for the street), but I have no doubt they'll work great off-road.

EDIT: I attached some more pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Cool old shocks. I might be able to find you some 90s era resis but they wont be SAW.

I would like to see the old literature...

steveG

Steve,
Email lee@raceshock.com. He has a lot of older stuff in his back shed and might be able to help you out.
Thanks!

Cool old shocks. I might be able to find you some 90s era resis but they wont be SAW.

I would like to see the old literature...
There's really not much to it. According to the boys at SAW there was very little documentation in the early days. They were surprised to find what they had.

The good news is that if all else fails and I'm not satisfied with their performance, SAW has standard pistons that will fit these.

PM me your email address, Kritter.

ONE_RJ

Dane Cardone has a set of SAW internal bypass shocks and coil springs off Bigbird for sale if anybody is interested send me a PM an I will connect you to Dane

Dezertpilot

Those are some cool shocks Steve! At first I was like "Wow some threaded body 2.5's big whoopee" Now that I know what they are I think they rock!

steveG

Those are some cool shocks Steve! At first I was like "Wow some threaded body 2.5's big whoopee" Now that I know what they are I think they rock!
Haha, the small shock in the picture is a 2.5"x10" SAW....