Internet and other non-radio Communications in the Desert

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
not sure what you are saying. certainly there have been service priority levels for a long time. additional band for firstnet is ENTIRELY false, the whole point of FN was for responders to have their own entire band, which is exactly what FN is.

the problem here is that many are buying into the marketing BS that FN has some major improvements in performance.....it doesn't.
Yes, the first-net responders have the highest service priority tier in the HSS, right behind Ops co Employees.

ENTIRELY.. stress down man. Jeeze.

Mongosd2

RDC Crypto
Whats the end game here? There are plenty of ways to embellish coverage, that works and not a starlink- pipe dream or some home brew Rube Goldberg concoction thats gonna be border line practical.
Haven't even touched on CBRS...

Whats the budget?

Advertising supports this site

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
Whats the end game here? There are plenty of ways to embellish coverage, that works and not a starlink- pipe dream or some home brew Rube Goldberg concoction thats gonna be border line practical.
Haven't even touched on CBRS...

Whats the budget?
CBRS and Helium.com Interesting! Did you see that DISH Wireless will roam on that network?

Budget = Should not be much for the Starlink Mobile UE. The cams and remote control are a couple k.

End game is to help the sport. Always on a Cheaper, More Simple, Faster path. Never a complex, expensive path.

Mongosd2

RDC Crypto
helium.com...huh...don't care about DISH, as I'm talking about real world, enterprise level solutions.

We are real world testing CBRS, working with a couple of companies, but you'd need to sign a NDA, as this is beyond putting a camera in race car and you couldn't afford our consultant rates. (And this is not bullshit)

Once again, real world solutions for increasing capacity are readily available for a area like "Hammertown". Could be as simple a s a COW or some of the other temporary solutions provided by many companies. We worked side by side with several and one that I remember was Solaris or something like that.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
helium.com...huh...don't care about DISH, as I'm talking about real world, enterprise level solutions.

We are real world testing CBRS, working with a couple of companies, but you'd need to sign a NDA, as this is beyond putting a camera in race car and you couldn't afford our consultant rates. (And this is not bullshit)

Once again, real world solutions for increasing capacity are readily available for a area like "Hammertown". Could be as simple a s a COW or some of the other temporary solutions provided by many companies. We worked side by side with several and one that I remember was Solaris or something like that.
DISH is the only carrier building a true 5G RAN system. The rest are in 4G->5G migration mode for a couple years.

Helium is killing it for LoRaWAN IoT. They are on the CBRS 5G path now but with some regulatory stuff looming. Helium 5G

Glad to sign an NDA. Glad to add my consistent "keep it simple" approach, like commoditized CBRS 5G UE's. Look me up on Linked-in to see some detail on my fun times.

Overall - I think the multi-tier aspect of the true 5G RAN and CBRS are a great path. I will need to noodle it a lot more to be of value but, a close friend is one of the top ORAN architects in the world and we share a lot of stuff.

Mongosd2

RDC Crypto
DISH is the only carrier building a true 5G RAN system. The rest are in 4G->5G migration mode for a couple years.

Helium is killing it for LoRaWAN IoT. They are on the CBRS 5G path now but with some regulatory stuff looming. Helium 5G

Glad to sign an NDA. Glad to add my consistent "keep it simple" approach, like commoditized CBRS 5G UE's. Look me up on Linked-in to see some detail on my fun times.

Overall - I think the multi-tier aspect of the true 5G RAN and CBRS are a great path. I will need to noodle it a lot more to be of value but, a close friend is one of the top ORAN architects in the world and we share a lot of stuff.
alrighty then...
Was joking about the NDA, and the name dropping and google search answers are getting old.

Good luck with your projects, we are plenty busy and was just offering real world experience to Dave and Travis.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
alrighty then...
Was joking about the NDA, and the name dropping and google search answers are getting old.

Good luck with your projects, we are plenty busy and was just offering real world experience to Dave and Travis.
The tech acronyms are just to help. Better than trying to explain what they are in detail. I can't type that long. Cheers

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
This has been an interesting and informative thread. Been enjoying all the good info.

I don’t understand why most threads turn into a bickering fest. I am as guilty as anyone.

It’s worse with this group than any other forum I am on. Boats and airplane people are much more civil. Haha.

Oh well makes for some good reading. I bet money if these conversations were to happen in person it would be super positive and respectful. Typing on a forum brings out the worst and makes people defensive.

I am a tech propeller head so I love this stuff. I would be open to bing a Guinea pig and try some of this stuff out.

Mike.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
This has been an interesting and informative thread. Been enjoying all the good info.

I don’t understand why most threads turn into a bickering fest. I am as guilty as anyone.

It’s worse with this group than any other forum I am on. Boats and airplane people are much more civil. Haha.

Oh well makes for some good reading. I bet money if these conversations were to happen in person it would be super positive and respectful. Typing on a forum brings out the worst and makes people defensive.

I am a tech propeller head so I love this stuff. I would be open to bing a Guinea pig and try some of this stuff out.

Mike.
I would be glad to show you how the streaming kit works in 1035 so your team can run same.

Mongosd2

RDC Crypto
So any pics of the installs or video clips? Im bummed I can't make it out to JV for this...here's a example of the camera/ptz head we use, along with some the antenna's...
imagejpeg_0.jpg

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Bringing back the thread just to clear up one thing. Been at KOH since Tuesday. Zero ATT service, zero Firstnet, Verizon working but slowing as people fill up the lakebed.

Yesterday (Friday) firstnet came online at KOH. Full bars anywhere near hammertown. Why….because Someone put up a Firstnet CRD (compact rapid deployment). So if you have Firstnet you now have the best cell service at KOH. No slowdown no issues. Blowing away my Verizon.

—john

Argentino

RDC Crypto
That's the ticket. Cradlepoint IBR1700 with the extra modem. Uses Firstnet.

Cradlepoint IBR1700-1200M MA3-17001200-NNA 1 $1,682.00 $1,682.00
ADD → MA-MC400-1200M-B - MA-MC400-1200M-B 1 $540 $540
Cradlepoint Cellular Antenna 170801-000 4 $13.50 $54.00
Cradlepoint: Wi-Fi Antenna 170836-000 4 $13.50 $54.00
Cradlepoint Power Supplies 170716-000 1 $22.50 $22.50
Parsec - Australian Shepherd 4-in-1 Antenna PTA4AS4L15B 1 $349 $349
Parsec: Australian Shepherd 9-in-1 Antenna PTA9AS4L4WG15B 1 $472 $472

Subtotal $3173.50

That's your in-car network.

Add a DVR setup ($1200) and some good cams ($2000) and that's the fastest current setup I could piece together. Cradelpoint is saying 5G will do 4.14Gbps!

"Category 20 LTE modems, which are included with most 5G routers, have theoretical throughput of up to 2 Gbps downlink, which is significantly higher than their predecessors. Then, once the 5G device is certified 5G Ready, users will be able to pass traffic at up to 4.14 Gbps." The IBR1700 is 5G ready.

Last edited:

Mongosd2

RDC Crypto
you really dont get it do you, that CRD has limited range. You can put all the latest whiz bang whoop stuff you want in a pelican case and then put in a car but you dont exclusive access to the cell networks, so once demand increases, youll see diminishing returns.

john, let us know how well the network sustains the capacity once more people show up.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
Bringing back the thread just to clear up one thing. Been at KOH since Tuesday. Zero ATT service, zero Firstnet, Verizon working but slowing as people fill up the lakebed.

Yesterday (Friday) firstnet came online at KOH. Full bars anywhere near hammertown. Why….because Someone put up a Firstnet CRD (compact rapid deployment). So if you have Firstnet you now have the best cell service at KOH. No slowdown no issues. Blowing away my Verizon.

—john
Firstnet is likely Verizon deployed and managed. Do a speed test, I am.interested in seeing what they may have for backhaul.

Argentino

RDC Crypto
you really dont get it do you, that CRD has limited range. You can put all the latest whiz bang whoop stuff you want in a pelican case and then put in a car but you dont exclusive access to the cell networks, so once demand increases, youll see diminishing returns.

john, let us know how well the network sustains the capacity once more people show up.
That whiz bang whoop stuff, <--- quite articulate, is in nearly every first response vehicle on the planet.

A diminishing return is a return.

Private companies do have access to Band 14 Firstnet and it offers precedence.

I've been spending the past few weeks working with Nokia, Axom, Cradlepoint, and a company in Canada to get the very best system together for our application; A course of action. What have you been doing to provide a solution?

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
KOH is packed, still getting a couple megs on firstnet. However, as others have said this IS NOT for live video feeds from cars. It’s great for us to be able to browse and do work, but let’s not jam it up with 100 video feeds from cars.

Some of us (me included) need to be able to get online and work at KOH, if I couldn’t do that I wouldn’t be able to go. Keep the limited bandwidth for us to get the job done so we can play.

—john