IonEarth

redline

RDC Crypto
So just wondering who else is being screwed to put it lightly? After we spent 15k a year and a half ago to set up two of our trucks with their system, our TT has only tracked about 90 miles of about 4000 miles it has raced! Now today we get an email stating they are no longer supporting desert race operations!

Advertising supports this site

Zambo

RDC Crypto
A bargain at ten times the price!

I'll tell ya, we have a bunch of spot trackers and we give 'em out to all our chase trucks and put them on the race vehicles as well. They only update every ten minutes but they're pretty solid. We can track them all on the same map and see where everybody is, and if you click on a spot icon it will pop up with all the info about that vehicle including contact info.

Check out trackleaders.com. Its a service where they do all the programming and map setup for you. ionearth is top notch stuff I guess but way too much money for what you get IMO. After all, it's not going to stop your truck from breaking and if it breaks then you're probably out of the hunt no matter how quickly you can communicate.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
I myself love the Spot devices but they use the Globalstar Satellites and those are B-Rated. It works well but not every message comes through from my limited experience.

We started experimenting with the DeLoreme InReach2. It has the spot capability plus two way messaging if tied with a smartphone, but unlike the Spot 2-way messenger it has actual buttons and can be used in stand alone mode. Once signed up with the service you also get access to DeLorme's Topo maps for your smartphone and the system uses the Iridium Satellite network that is closer to A-Grade. 2 month into it and loving it.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
As a stand alone device a Delorme is great, but what I'm talking about is dozens of trackers handed out to chasers and racers before the event, all preprogrammed with their callsign/contact info. We use iridium satphones to talk. I went back and looked at post race performance of our spot trackers and very few of them missed any scheduled position updates, despite the fact that I know most chasers did not have them placed in an optimal position in their vehicles.

Dan88Rigid

RDC Crypto
Website
www.RigidIndustries.com
Yep they screwed over alot of race teams for the baja 500. They will never be welcome back in the desert racing seen thats for sure!!

Advertising supports this site

Baja Fool

RDC Crypto
We used spot trackers on every vehicle used to support the race car. To know you had the positions of everyone involved while chasing and racing in Baja is priceless....no other way to put it.