iPad Battery Issues

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Well we finally had a race where the notes worked well on LeadNav but the battery life was the issue. Started with a full charge and used proper lightning cable and 2.4a charger. Do any of you guys have any tricks for making an iPad w LeadNav route running last in a long race? iPad is a pro, approx 4 years old, could be the battery I suppose? This May be the last hurrah for it in the race car if we can’t figure out.

SanoDano

RDC Crypto
Well we finally had a race where the notes worked well on LeadNav but the battery life was the issue. Started with a full charge and used proper lightning cable and 2.4a charger. Do any of you guys have any tricks for making an iPad w LeadNav route running last in a long race? iPad is a pro, approx 4 years old, could be the battery I suppose? This May be the last hurrah for it in the race car if we can’t figure out.
Not sure how it works with an iPad, but with our GoPros we needed to remove the batteries from the units and run an external battery with a charger otherwise the GoPros get too hot and shut off.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
It may very well be the battery going bad, when they get a few years old the battery life seems to go down quite a bit. Partially because as the years go by, the programs and operating system use a lot more processing power so the older model is working hard to keep up.

Make sure there aren't a lot of other apps running in the background. Also, put it in airplane mode, it works hard trying to find a signal when you're in the boonies. The GPS and bluetooth still work in airplane mode.

paranoid56

RDC Crypto
i would double check that charger. we run a ipad (old one) and with it fully charged, after a 6hr race its still fully charged.

same with our gorpos (2 5s and 1 9) but we keep the battery in it and run a usb c to them and they last a full race too. with a 128gb card we can get almost 6hrs.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Cables can be very restrictive. Make sure you are using a good quality and large conductor cable.

I have a iPad in my plane that is plugged in to a usb source in my dash. I got a shorter cable and all of the sudden it could not stay charged. Figured out the cable was super thin internally and not flowing enough. Get the smallest gauge (largest wire) you can for your charge cable.

It’s possible that the battery is dead but it should be able to stay running off external power all day long. So there is something wrong with your external power.

Mike

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
i would double check that charger. we run a ipad (old one) and with it fully charged, after a 6hr race its still fully charged.

same with our gorpos (2 5s and 1 9) but we keep the battery in it and run a usb c to them and they last a full race too. with a 128gb card we can get almost 6hrs.
What charger do you have?

Buellracer

RDC Crypto
I believe Lead Nav sells a 3.4 or ? Stronger charger that they say must be used to prevent the problem you had. I used it at the Mexican 1000 2019 with no problems

paranoid56

RDC Crypto
What charger do you have?
i use a bluesea 2.1a charger and a good cord. I had issues using random amazon chargers as they were never real numbers. pick a good brand and you should be good. I have one in the back of the bug for the rear gopro and one in hte front, the front one powers both the gorpo and ipad.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Copy thanks guys

TrophyBurro

RDC Crypto
if you notice is stop charging and you have all the correct cables and amp rated plug it is prolly going into safe mode .
you can unplug it to reset or add a toggle