IRC Tracking is Mandatory at the Baja 500

cancinoj

Reaction
As a racer or a fan that is awsome, hopefully to be a racer and not just another fan this time,. IRC is a must have don't you think,

it will be a lot of fun to follow the race like it was the last year baja 1000, and with that for sure avoid all that stuff that happend at san felo, thats nice.:D:D

IRC Tracking is Mandatory at the Baja 500
Published on April 05 2009

Details About Race Tracking Requirements

Four Wheel Vehicle entries will be required to utilize the IRC Iritrack real time
tracking device

Motorcycle & ATV entries will be required to use the IRC Recorder device,
unless IRC determines that your team qualifies for an E-Track real time tracking device

The IRC Recorder is not a real-time tracking device, but a battery operated self-contained
wireless unit used for post-race tracking purposes

IRC order forms are located on the Baja 500 race page

CraigChr

Reaction
Honestly, this is waaaaay better than Rallytrack who could not give us reliable info. AND... IRC is now offering a lower cost alternative to a lot of the motorcycles.... We'll be rolling the active tracking E-track though.

Great for Sponsors and people at home to watch and from a safety standpoint, we have heard over and over where someone has rolled or stopped abruptly and IRC reports it before the drivers/co-drivers can even hit the red button.

Steve and the people at IRC have been incredibly helpful when we have had any issues. Again, much more support than Rallytrack who charged us what for that 2 dollar stamped piece of metal?

AZ7000'

Reaction
Is this the new Rubby G rule??

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Awesome good to hear they made it required again. Really if you cant afford the $250 you should not be racing. Its for your own SAFETY more than anything!!

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Awesome good to hear they made it required again. Really if you cant afford the $250 you should not be racing. Its for your own SAFETY more than anything!!

I agree! Just ask Jonah Street (last year, broken arm). Pushing the red button got him the help he needed.

baja_driver

Reaction
hope they make it so that you cant convienently turn off the power to the unit so that it does not transmit. have heard this happen in the past. have watched in the past and the top 3 cars never showed up after about 75 miles in. like every thing...only keeps honest people honest.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
from the safety aspect it is awesome. For anybody thinking it will reduce or stop cheating...youre on crack. The only DQ's sal is handing out is on if he is threatened with a law suit.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
I agree! Just ask Jonah Street (last year, broken arm). Pushing the red button got him the help he needed.

not to mention finding his "wayward" bike afterwards... :D

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
I think it's safer,makes the race more marketable,and keeps racers from cheating AS MUCH,BIg Brother is watching!!!!!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Its a good idea. Anybody racing a quad if you need installation help? Send me a PM.

racinteach

Reaction
Hooray I think, it is such a sad thing to think that people would cheat..is there really that much money at stake in off road racing that you would desrepsect yourself by cheating...anyways for safety way to go...

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I love IRC!

The safety is key. We ran it at San Felipe and the Mint even though it wasn't mandatory!

Baja_Seve

Reaction
IRC is only one-half of the deal.

Can Score can enforce it's own rules regards to pavement speeding violations and short-coursing? Will Score penalize those with the facts presented?

I'm not holding my breath.

At least in the Rally Logger era, we saw regular speed violation penalties.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
IRC is only one-half of the deal.

Can Score can enforce it's own rules regards to pavement speeding violations and short-coursing? Will Score penalize those with the facts presented?

I'm not holding my breath.

At least in the Rally Logger era, we saw regular speed violation penalties.

IRC data cost my bike team 3 spots at the 500 before....15X decided he couldn't judge 60mph on the highway and we took two 10 minute penalties for speeding! We rock!

Baja_Seve

Reaction
IRC data cost my bike team 3 spots at the 500 before....15X decided he couldn't judge 60mph on the highway and we took two 10 minute penalties for speeding! We rock!
PAB,

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the 2008 or 2007 Baja 500? What 15x were you referring to? 2007 was covered by Rally Logger, 2008 by IRC. Exactly what penalties were attributed to 15x?

2008 TECATE SCORE BAJA 500 ENTRY LIST
* Denotes Points Champion

CLASS 22: 17
2x Anthony Pico
3x Grant Steele
4x Jimmy Roberts
*1x Robby Bell
6x Cory Brewer
7x Jesse Sharpe
8x Ryan Penhall
9x Cory Evenson
10x Michael Gordon
11x Nicholas Blais
12x Nick Saia
13x Caleb Gosselaar
14x Keith Webster
15x Terence Montelongo
16x Adrian Rodriguez
17x Ivan Ramirez
49x Daniel Allford-1st RS

On the other hand, the previous year 2007 Baja 500 had:

2007 TECATE SCORE BAJA 500 ENTRY LIST
*DENOTES POINTS CHAMPION

CLASS 22: 24
2X MARC FRANCKE
3X SHANNON POWELL
4X DAVID WARREN
5X GREG RICHARDS
6X DAN WALSH
7X CHRIS BLAIS
8X JESSE SHARPE / DEAN SHARPE / SEAN EBERZ
9X BLAKE VISIN
10X RALPH BARRERA
11X DAVID RUTHERFORD
12X KEVIN JOHNSON
*1X ROBBY BELL
14X JOE DESROSIERS / AARON TUCK / CAMERON CORFMAN
15X MARC BURNETT
16X CAMERON STEELE

17X KRIS MCDONALD
18X NICK THOMPSON
19X SCOTT BLOOM
20X TRAVIS SIMMONS
21X STEVEN SOTO
22X MICHAEL LANSKY
23X ADAM NEUWIRTH
24X NICK BLAIS
25X STEVEN LULY

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Are you sure 2007 was Rallytrack?? Hard to remember but I know the team I was working for in 07 received a speed penalty at the 500 or 1000 cant remember which. I could have sworn it was IRC.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
PAB,

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the 2008 or 2007 Baja 500? What 15x were you referring to? 2007 was covered by Rally Logger, 2008 by IRC. Exactly what penalties were attributed to 15x?

You're missing part of the info.....

It was Trigger riding my bike but he has become known as 15x for his solo ride non-entry and declared win of the Baja 1000 solo ride later in life...I don't remember our number that race.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
PAB,

You're missing part of the info.....

It was Trigger riding my bike but he has become known as 15x for his solo ride non-entry and declared win of the Baja 1000 solo ride later in life...I don't remember our number that race.

Umm. 10-4! OK. I don't think I'm missing the info. I'm well aware of all. Will pass on to R&R.

Saludos!