IRC

BitD1084

RDC Crypto
Is there not a better system? They knew there were going to be 330 cars, trucks and UTV’s and did not bring enough trackers, really??? That just opens the door for cheating and other shenanigans. And first and foremost, it’s a safety issue. Or am I just way off track here?

deano

McDeano
RDC Crypto
Is there not a better system? They knew there were going to be 330 cars, trucks and UTV’s and did not bring enough trackers, really??? That just opens the door for cheating and other shenanigans. And first and foremost, it’s a safety issue. Or am I just way off track here?

I see what you did here ! :rolleyes:

Cronus

RDC Crypto
Jasen, you're not off track at all. IRC is considered to be sub-par by a lot (possibly a majority?) of racers. It's outdated technology, overly expensive, and their customer service sucks (and I say that with all due respect). And many people have reported that it didn't work for them when they needed it to.

A couple of years ago I was discussing IRC's shortcomings with Diane at BITD and she said that "Casey is very loyal", which I interpret to mean that he'll stick with something lousy like IRC regardless of whether there's anything better out there.

That said, I can guarantee there will be at least one person who chimes in that "IRC worked for me when I needed it". And another will say, "Quit whining, racing is expensive". Then some third person will say, "It gives me peace of mind knowing that I can call them on the satellite phone." I'm not going to waste time debating it, but the fact is there are better solutions out there that cost less, and I've seen no indication that BITD is moving in that direction. So we're just farting into the wind.

BitD1084

RDC Crypto
It's worked for me and it has not worked for me. All I know is IRC, since all I race is the BitD stuff. I've been tracked 20 miles from where I was at, and I have been tracked right on. So thats why I was sporting the question. I know we get all kinds that chime in, even the ones that have no idea what we are even talking about.

RDC Crypto
Just another indicator that this sport needs something like a drivers' advisory group, or - shudder - racers' union to address the various issues.

Georgefelix

RDC Crypto
What do you expect for $275 a day? I wonder what the return on investment is? One or two days? Haha what a racket. It's great we have them but seems ridiculously expensive and likes been said often don't work. Maybe run by the same folks that provide Sat phones for baja. Should have been renting cell phones instead. Lol

Hog Wild

RDC Crypto
Website
www.SonoraRally.com
Volocore created a new device that they are now testing that looks really good. Quinn Cody is involved in testing it and bringing this kind of safety device to off-road racing. We're working on getting it to Cortez Rally for testing. Stay tuned...