Ironman Ricky James on NBC Today

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
ive got chills down my back... ricky is such a great inspiration for everybody!... makes you stop and realize what is most important in live.

THANK YOU!!

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
For those that don't know -- Ricky was on a bike team in the 2007 Baja 500 --- Ricky started the race, fell hard a couple of times, got back up, and kept going to RM120 to hand bike over to teammate. He had to ride some serious Baja silt, giant whoops, and down the Valle de Trinidad goat trail.

Hey Ricky, if we missed the show today , what was it about and will it be repeated? Was that YouTube vid part of today's show, or something else?

824 Dad

Reaction
For those that don't know -- Ricky was on a bike team in the 2007 Baja 500 --- Ricky started the race, fell hard a couple of times, got back up, and kept going to RM120 to hand bike over to teammate. He had to ride some serious Baja silt, giant whoops, and down the Valle de Trinidad goat trail.

Hey Ricky, if we missed the show today , what was it about and will it be repeated? Was that YouTube vid part of today's show, or something else?
The youtube video was from the NBC coverage of the Kona Hawaii Ironman last October where his goal was just to try and finish the 140.6 mile event which he did in 12 hours 44 minutes. The show today was of the Half Ironman World Championships (70.3 miles) from Clearwater, Florida just 4 weeks later where he was going for the win, which he succeeded in getting, 5 hours and 30 minutes.

As you mentioned he did crash in the Baja 500, he actually dislocated his shoulder. When we got home he had to have a surgery to repair it which kept him down for 3 months. While he was recovering from the surgery he got the idea to do the Ironman, from his motocross trainer David Bailey who had won it in 2000, Ricky had never done a triathlon. In fact he had never swam in the ocean since his injury or even pushed a racing chair. He had to learn all of this and only had 10 months to train for Kona. He did his first 70.3 triathlon in Kona last April which was also the first time he had swam in the ocean. It's considered one of the toughest half ironman courses in the world and he picked it for his first one, he didn't make the bike cutoff time but the officials let him continue for an unoffcial time since they new what he was training for and also the fact that no wheelchair athlete had ever gotten as far in that race without dropping out so they didn't want him to time out. He finished it in 7 hours 44 minutes. A month later he went to lubbock texas and finished the same distance in 6-1/2 hours. Then he trained all summer for Kona and the full 140.6 mile distance.

He says he's done with Ironman for a while, he wants to work on his auto racing stuff and see where he can take it. He has been doing some paved oval racing and he rode co driver in the superlite class at Primm. He's is trying to get his own truck, Riding shotgun isn't where it's at for him.

I'm not sure if they will show today's program again or not, sorry you missed it.

824 Dad

baja619

Reaction
Yeah he was hooked up with Chad Leising in the Super Lite during the PRIMM Races. I talked to him for a bit, Ricky was really excited to be there but definitely wanted to be the driver behind the wheel.

Racer3011

Reaction
i had the oppurtunity to take ricky with me last weekend at the sxs nationals in a superlite. he said he had alot of fun but definently want to drive. ithink its awesome that he keeps pushing forward.