IRS Ford 9" Housing???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks. . .who are they available from. . .

. . .I wasn't a Ford guy growing up so I never paid any attention to anything Ford related. . .all that is changing now. . .I have a '79 F-150 4x4 and now that I have grown from muscle cars and sportbikes to off-road 9"'s are an inevitable part of life. . .plus they are so much easier to work with with the removeable third member. . .can't believe I never paid any attention to them before. . .but then again I was stubborn in my youth!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I didn't see any on Currie's website (most obvious first choice to me) but I saw that Dutchman's had them. . .

. . .does anyone think that a stock IRS Ford 8.8" housing from a Cobra would stand up to an IRS desert buggy application. . .it may be way to cheaper to pull one from the junkyard. . .except that I already have a spare Ford 9" third member sitting in the garage. . .

. . .anyway. . .what do you think and where can I find IRS Ford 9" housings, axle tubes, etc. so that I can make my own IRS Ford 9" rearend for a budget buggy I'm planning at?

Thanks!

AaronDixon

Reaction
the 2003 and up navigators and expeditions have the IRS 8.8 in them, those should be really easy to find. Not sure if one is narrower than the other. I'm sure the 8.8 would be lighter due to the aluminum case.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Cool. . .thanks a lot Aaron. . .finding something in the junkyard is what I'm all about at the moment!!!

Now I just have to figure out what to do about having a mid-mounted engine with the transmission pointing forward instead of rearward to get the driveshaft headed back towards the rear??? At first I figured I would just use the extra transfer case that I have laying out in the garage, but then I realized that would the output wouldn't be centered and that wouldn't work. . .at least not for IRS. . .so I guess I will have to drop some money on a V-Drive!!!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I saw the stuff on Dutchman's. . .but I didn't see it on Cuie's website. . .I definitely like the looks of the Currie rearend housing a lot better!

If one could build a solid axle rearend housing it looks like you could build your own IRS 9" housing as well. . .but I could be missing something. . .clue me in if you k now what I would be missing that would make fabbing a 9" IRS housing more difficult than a solid axle 9" housing.

Haycock

Reaction
Now I just have to figure out what to do about having a mid-mounted engine with the transmission pointing forward instead of rearward to get the driveshaft headed back towards the rear??? At first I figured I would just use the extra transfer case that I have laying out in the garage, but then I realized that would the output wouldn't be centered and that wouldn't work. . .at least not for IRS. . .so I guess I will have to drop some money on a V-Drive!!!
why would you want the engine backwards? run the motor and transmission the right direction then either couple the diff to the transmission or run a short little driveshaft. no need for a v-drive or t-case...

atomicjoe23

Reaction
why would you want the engine backwards? run the motor and transmission the right direction then either couple the diff to the transmission or run a short little driveshaft. no need for a v-drive or t-case...
I'm a manual guy. . .I don't really care for automatic's. . .so that's one reason why I wanna run the engine backwards. . .I know the shift pattern would be different but it won't be too bad. . .

. . .the other reason is for weight distrubution. . .I just ran a 4 hr. endurance race this weekend in a single seat buggy that me and 3 of my friends built and one our weekpoints was our turning radius. . .part of that was that we had a wider wheelbase (62.5" compared to 50 something inches) than the competition and part of that was because we didn't have enough weight on the front end and if the turn was too tight the front would push really bad because there wasn't enough weight on the front tires for them to be able to keep traction. . .that and since we all had to run the same stock engines we didn't have enough power to break the rear end free at super low speeds to keep pointed in the right direction. . .

Haycock

Reaction
I'm a manual guy. . .I don't really care for automatic's. . .so that's one reason why I wanna run the engine backwards. . .I know the shift pattern would be different but it won't be too bad. . .

. . .the other reason is for weight distrubution. . .I just ran a 4 hr. endurance race this weekend in a single seat buggy that me and 3 of my friends built and one our weekpoints was our turning radius. . .part of that was that we had a wider wheelbase (62.5" compared to 50 something inches) than the competition and part of that was because we didn't have enough weight on the front end and if the turn was too tight the front would push really bad because there wasn't enough weight on the front tires for them to be able to keep traction. . .that and since we all had to run the same stock engines we didn't have enough power to break the rear end free at super low speeds to keep pointed in the right direction. . .

im running a manual transmission in a mid-engine setup. there are alot of manual trannys that you can use linkage or cable shifters. you could even cut the shifter and attach cables to it so you could use any type of transmission...

what diff were you running in the buggy?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
We weren't running a differential in the buggy. . .this was the SAE Baja Collegiate competition. . .we were only allowed to use a stock 10HP Briggs & Stratton engine. . .we used a Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS center section, the inboard and outboard sections of the axles, rear rotor/caliper, sprocket and the rear hubs from the same quad and lengthened the axles using the splined sections from an Explorer driveshaft to accomodate our wider rear track width and the plunge we needed to make our semi-trailing arms work. . .we ended up with 15.5" of rear travel. . .

. . .on the front we used the front knuckles, rotors, and calipers from a Yamaha YFZ450 and built our own chassis, suspension, sheetmetal, and driveline to work with the B&S engine. . .we ended up with 17" of front travel and we had an RTI score of 966 before we ran out of ramp (not bad for our first try), we could accomodate 36" of vertical spread between the two front wheels and still keep all four wheels on the ground as well. . .

. . .we cut the transmission off of an '82 YZ250 2-stroke engine and hooked a centrifugal clutch up the engine so that we could have a clutchless 5-spd manual instead of a CVT. . .those CVT's suck once the belts get wet. . .unfortunately the clutch wasn't really up to the abuse that it took and we could have used one more gear so that we had a little more top speed. . .the only place that I got passed on the track was on the hill climbs when the clutch was slipping and the back straight away when I topped out in 5th gear. . .it was our first year and we learned a lot. . .we will be serious contenders next year though!!!

Cool I'll have to figure out a rod linkage to be able to shift the manual gearbox remotely for my buggy. . .that was another learning experience from this weekends race. . .cable shifter linkages suck!!!

Thanks for passing on what you've learned/experienced Haycock!!!

Haycock

Reaction
ill bet that most of the reason the buggy was pushing in the corners was becouse ther wasnt a differential. when both tires spin at the same speed turning sucks...

atomicjoe23

Reaction
That was definitely another one of the major contributors!!! It sucked to push that thing around that's for sure. . .that is one of our planned upgrades as well as a reverse gear for next year. . .one of the events was a rock crawl and even the small, super tight turning buggies had to reverse several times to make some of the turns!!!