Bait Fish
Reaction
duh ! sorry.
thx

Wilson

Reaction
duh ! sorry.
thx

Yeah, sorry - I should have just posted the direct links.......

Brian - our construction photo sequence may be a little confusing because we changed some things after the original build and then added those photos later. You'll see that we didn't originally "notch" the horns for CV clearance but went back and made that change later, for example. Lowering the whole transaxle gets you more total suspension travel (among other benefits). That particular area is another "problem area" in our class - SCORE allows us to clearance for CV's, but not below the frame horn "seam". You'll see cars with clearancing WAY beyond the seam......

Motelcambodia

Reaction
Thanks,
I did get a hold of Lothrings he also said McKenzie sells his arms and the spring plates So that will be 1 option .
I never got a hold of the lazier innovation's, I found there is 2 company's with in 30 miles of each other with the same name one does lazers only the other only has a answering machine.

I did notice the sequence of the build photos are from differing times in your cars constitution. But they been very helpful on me seeing what is what.
Here is what I did today steam clean off all the undercoating on my pan Im lucky it's like brand new . IM getting it ready to load on my truck so after I have some rear arms. I can take it to have some cage work done.
2mni52e.jpg

MALABANAN

Reaction
Gutierrez Racing has had the same VW Baja since 1986!!! It has been painted, wrecked, re-built, updated, lossed and won races recently. They won the last 2 MDR Superstition Series races. Ruben will not sell or trade that thing. It has brought our family together at times, split us up, pissed us off and created much hapiness. This class is not expiring, it will be here for many more years. There are still a lot of old 5/16's sitting in backyards that could be winners with some hours of wrenching. Make your dream a reality, life is short...

Tipracer

Reaction
Thanks,
I did get a hold of Lothrings he also said McKenzie sells his arms and the spring plates So that will be 1 option .
I never got a hold of the lazier innovation's, I found there is 2 company's with in 30 miles of each other with the same name one does lazers only the other only has a answering machine.

I did notice the sequence of the build photos are from differing times in your cars constitution. But they been very helpful on me seeing what is what.
Here is what I did today steam clean off all the undercoating on my pan Im lucky it's like brand new . IM getting it ready to load on my truck so after I have some rear arms. I can take it to have some cage work done.
2mni52e.jpg

Dont lose that photo!!! it is the last time the underside will ever look that nice...hehe

seven racer

Reaction
Class 5-1600 is one of the most fun classes to race and learn in. Ive been lucky enough to race with diffrent teams including Ruben Cutierez the Negrette boys my brother-in law Mario Ledezma cousin Danny Ledezma and owning my own 5-1600 car. I have also raced many other classes all the way up to a class one car. But everytime my phone rings and i get a chance to drive a 5-1600 car i jump at the chance. so don't give up on your car you won't be sorry. Have fun and good luck, and if you ever need an ok driver send me a PM.

560bajamike

Reaction
Keep the faith... 13 year's now for me for my 5 unlimited. We sighned up for our 1st race (yes in 13 years!!!!) and had a DNS because of a minor mistake on my part. On the 3rd engine now with only about 120 prerun miles on the car. (do the work yourself)

Mike

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
13 5-1600 registered for the next code race on june 17th. Absolutely, positively not a dying class !! You may have to start coming to baja to get some competition.
Anybody knwo which races in the US have the most 5-1600 entries ?

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
13 5-1600 registered for the next code race on june 17th. Absolutely, positively not a dying class !! You may have to start coming to baja to get some competition.
Anybody knwo which races in the US have the most 5-1600 entries ?

MDR Superstition series in Plaster City. The Dash 2 years ago had over 30 entries. Last year had 20 something. Consisently gets over 10 last time I checked.

harleys dad

Reaction
Yes Micro Stub's are legal, Yes 1 inch longer rear trailing arms are legal. I don't believe Score's rule book says anything regarding camber adjustment via the trailing arm. I could be wrong as I have not gone back and looked at the rule book lately. I would think because you are allowed to use a 1 inch longer aftermarket arm that if you changed the camber at the hub face that it would be ok, but please dont take my word for it. Call Score for more clarification.
The first part in the rule book stating this is a stock class and only mods listed may be done bars you from changing stub axel camber built into the arm, it only says 1 inch longer, says nothing about the stub location which goes right back to the stated first rule. Looking at cars nobody seams to pay attention to the book, or the book is meaningless. In the 70s and 80s I can tell you they would never been allowed in the class because everybody was keeping everybody honest, You simply could not get away with the blatant and rampant cheating 5/1600 is suffering from. 5/1600 is a perfect example of when a blind eye is turned

NIKAL

Reaction
MDR Superstition series in Plaster City. The Dash 2 years ago had over 30 entries.

The side by side start for that race was bad azz! All 30 cars that took the green flag were balls to the wall to the bonus money cone and continued hauling azz down pit road. Off-road meets drag racing.

If I remember right the starting line drag race to the bonus money cone was sponsored by? Dailey Pumps!

Tundranation

Reaction
The side by side start for that race was bad azz! All 30 cars that took the green flag were balls to the wall to the bonus money cone and continued hauling azz down pit road. Off-road meets drag racing.

If I remember right the starting line drag race to the bonus money cone was sponsored by? Dailey Pumps!

and you did an awesome job of building that race up on RDC, the excitement level for that race was epic ! ......and in getting extra bonus money ! The hype on that class helped raise the level of entries on all classes that year...... that's the kind of thing that needs to happen more often to raise the bar for a race !!

NIKAL

Reaction
and you did an awesome job of building that race up on RDC, the excitement level for that race was epic ! ......and in getting extra bonus money ! The hype on that class helped raise the level of entries on all classes that year...... that's the kind of thing that needs to happen more often to raise the bar for a race !!

Yeah that race was pretty cool! The total prize pot after adding the MDR pay back, MDR bonus money, 5/16 side bet money and all the extra contingency and product handed out was just over $25,000! And the even cooler part was how it was dispersed. It was not a winner take all deal. If I remember right the winner walked with $5,000 + in cash and another $3000-$4000 in product. But there were guys in 13th place getting contingency and even last official finisher got a hundred bucks or so. Not bad for a $350 entry fee. The trophies handed out pretty much blew any series Championship trophy's away!

Some of the crazier prizes was Richards Border Patrol car finishing around 9th or 10th place? But he was the first official finisher on BFG tires, so he won 4 brand new BFG tires. Also we had all new fiberglass for the first car to finish with body damage that they incurred from the race. Guiterrez car rolled in the last corner before the finish line taking 3rd place so he got a new hood and rear fenders.

Motelcambodia

Reaction
Thanks to every one for all the encouragement and advice, I cant wait to get to my first race.
I'm ready to start building now if I can only find where I left that bag of money. LOL

I have my pan and body ready to start building. All my ideas and information come from all of you guys and I will use that to decide how my car is built.
I will not know how it will work until after my first race. It's been a year or so of learning all I can about 5/1600 so I hope my first race my car will be up to the task. And It will just up to me to learn how to drive it.

Thanks
Brian

Motelcambodia

Reaction
Keep the faith... 13 year's now for me for my 5 unlimited. We sighned up for our 1st race (yes in 13 years!!!!) and had a DNS because of a minor mistake on my part. On the 3rd engine now with only about 120 prerun miles on the car. (do the work yourself)

Mike

Where do you race?