is 6100 killing class 1?

hendersoned

RDC Crypto
Good question? I´ve ever seen that buggies biggest limit is the short rear arms. When a buggy is going fast and hit a bump, the rear gets some air, and sometimes rolls over. Look where they place the shock absorbers; that will let the arm to have more travel.

With a cv you need more angle at the cv or longer axles for more travel, not a longer trailing arm. Cv angle is the limiting factor

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
Rode in Archibals Jimco class 1 on 35's at Rage at the river on sunday and the 6100's had nothing for us. We started in the back due to issues on day 1 and never saw any of them. The course was torn up enough to break most of the trophy trucks. That's my two cents.

nohandslance

RDC Crypto
imageuploadedbyrace-dezert1477452237-094468-jpg.174693
[/QUOTE]

Because after 30 years of driving buggies, my back needed a break.

And, trucks look cooler!
Mr. Weyhrich you had your best years in your buggy.. I witnessed your O/V at V2R when you were going thru Rawhide.. You were in "Beast Mode", I respect your driving. But I think this new Gen buggy will win.

C.J. Hutchins

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Then (15 years ago), there were just a few TT entries, and now there are six or seven slow trucks in front of the class 1 cars in every baja race.

not 6 or 7 slow trucks, when top class ones qualify in top ten, and then have to start 60th, that means they are behind 40-50 slow trucks imo. there is no point to qualify class 1 in SCORE, better off getting a rear start.

C.J. Hutchins

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
As for the initial question, I haven't seen too many class 1 guys jump to 6100 I don't think. Someone else asked if class 1 is cheaper than TT, yes by a long shot. Of course everyone wants to be in TT, but not everyone can afford it. I've been trying to tell myself, we need to look at going to 6100 just to try to attract more sponsorship money, just hard for me to accept that we will need to pay more to go slower.

standfast

RDC Crypto
It's the CVs that limit wheel travel...not the arm lenght or the shock mount location.

The rear suspension design of this car should facilitate the use of a non plunging CV and that is where the extra travel comes from. The 3-link design allows the track width to change as the suspension cycles so no plunge is required from the CV. I think most non plunging CV's get up to about 40 degrees max vs the 28 degrees from a plunging CV used in all other class 1's. Should yield a substantial increase in travel. Would love to know how much they got from it.

Robin Hood

RDC Crypto
The rear suspension design of this car should facilitate the use of a non plunging CV and that is where the extra travel comes from. The 3-link design allows the track width to change as the suspension cycles so no plunge is required from the CV. I think most non plunging CV's get up to about 40 degrees max vs the 28 degrees from a plunging CV used in all other class 1's. Should yield a substantial increase in travel. Would love to know how much they got from it.

I highly doubt this setup will allow you to run non-plunging CVs on both ends of the axle and even if it does the boots are your next challenge to overcome.

How much R&D money do you think was spent on this design? I bet I know the answer.

How much money has been spent trying to get more wheel travel from an independent rear suspension? The problem will be solved at some point, but I doubt it has been on this car.

standfast

RDC Crypto
I highly doubt this setup will allow you to run non-plunging CVs on both ends of the axle and even if it does the boots are your next challenge to overcome.

What makes you doubt it? Armada says their 3 link 10 car is running non-plunge CV's. The boots will probably be another hurdle but you don't have to run them all the way to their limit either. Still get some more angle,lower operating temps, and more strength. Even if you only added 5 degrees in droop, that translates to around +4". I have a feeling they are targeting more than that. I am confident buggies will get faster as this path evolves. I won't be surprised if we see a trophy truck with this rear suspension in the next 2-3 years.

slicric

RDC Crypto
What makes you doubt it? Armada says their 3 link 10 car is running non-plunge CV's. The boots will probably be another hurdle but you don't have to run them all the way to their limit either. Still get some more angle,lower operating temps, and more strength. Even if you only added 5 degrees in droop, that translates to around +4". I have a feeling they are targeting more than that. I am confident buggies will get faster as this path evolves. I won't be surprised if we see a trophy truck with this rear suspension in the next 2-3 years.

I am not sure what geometry class you took in high school, but 5 more degrees from 25 deg to 30 deg on a 38" long axle is 2.94 vertical inches. You are right... class one cars need way more than that if they want to catch up to TT.

standfast

RDC Crypto
I am not sure what geometry class you took in high school, but 5 more degrees from 25 deg to 30 deg on a 38" long axle is 2.94 vertical inches. You are right... class one cars need way more than that if they want to catch up to TT.

You are right. I didn't draw it out. Regardless, it's an improvement to help close the gap.

+~3" at 5 degrees increase in angle
+~3.5" at 6 degrees increase in angle
+~4" at 7 degrees increase in angle

Sort out the boots (perhaps an RCV style spherical cap) then they can get the maximum out of them at around +6-8" of added droop travel depending on how close to the limit they can go.

Use a positive offset wheel that allows them to maximize axle length instead of the truck wheels, they can eek out another inch in the same track width. How much more travel did Letner and Mattox need at RATR to keep up with TT's? Or was that course not rough enough?

There is more headroom in IRS development than there is in solid rear axle. The relative competitiveness of the old Riviera TT to me is an indicator.

Robin Hood

RDC Crypto

Time will tell...How has it done so far?

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
Is 6200 killing class 1 ???

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
DING DING DING....but entry fees all the same for the promoter.....just have to give out a couple more trophies.....i think its ok.....there WILL be more cars total between class 6200 and class one than just class one as it is now, so its a win for bitd...

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
I raced what was pretty much a 10 car with the big 35" tires and a bone stock 5.3 alum ls motor. With a fortin wide gear. Was a pretty affordable set up. And very fast car. Always thought a Spec class 1 would be a fun class, a step up from class 10. Looks almost impossible to make a affordable spec class until they spec computers and trans. Dont think it will kill car count but might lower the class 1 count. Class 10 are really fast but got to love that V8 sound...