• Forum membership has its advantages....

Is Class 3000 Dead ?

Kiwiflyer

What series runs the most Class 3000 buggies and trucks? It is all but a dead class in score , There were 9 when I raced the 2017 B1000, I dint see any in the Parker

Salvador

Read the new BITD rules for 3000. The trucks are going to hace 118" of wheelbase, Only 9" R&P, and new 4 Cylinder turbo engine both Fords (2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost) and Chevrolets (2.3 and 2.7 Ecotec turbo). And Only production type trans,

Bro_Gill

I have been told that Toyota will also be branded into this class. And yes, there are trucks being built. And at least 1 class 3000 competitor is thinking of changing their 3000 legal truggy over for the class.

Shoyrtt

It is interesting that whoever came up with these rules has both liveaxle and transaxle vehicles at 118" maximum wheelbase. The liveaxle "truck or suv" can run these engines: "1. FORD 2.3 TURBO ECOBOOST ENGINE, CONTROLL PACK #M-6007-23TA WITH CONTROLL PACK #M-6017-23TA WITH 310 HP AND 320 FT LBS TORQUE. 2. GM 2.0 TURBO ECOTEC 260 HP WITH 260 FT LBS TORQUE, GM LHU MOTOR 3. GM 2.7 TURBO ECOTEC 300 HP WITH 340 FT LBS TORQUE. 2019 NEW MOTOR."

The transaxle cars can only run an Ecotec: "ENGINE IS LIMITED TO STOCK PRODUCTION GM ECOTEC 4 CYL 2.2 AND 2.4 MOTORS." I wonder if a stock Ecotec Buggy at 118" is equal to a truck at the same WB but with more power? With old rules we knew the buggys were faster on short course races (BAP, Rage) and the trucks and truggys had a slight edge on longer courses. Hopefully this helps the class. I have heard that one builder has 5 trucks being built for the new rules.

drofmij

It is interesting that whoever came up with these rules has both liveaxle and transaxle vehicles at 118" maximum wheelbase. The liveaxle "truck or suv" can run these engines: "1. FORD 2.3 TURBO ECOBOOST ENGINE, CONTROLL PACK #M-6007-23TA WITH CONTROLL PACK #M-6017-23TA WITH 310 HP AND 320 FT LBS TORQUE. 2. GM 2.0 TURBO ECOTEC 260 HP WITH 260 FT LBS TORQUE, GM LHU MOTOR 3. GM 2.7 TURBO ECOTEC 300 HP WITH 340 FT LBS TORQUE. 2019 NEW MOTOR."

The transaxle cars can only run an Ecotec: "ENGINE IS LIMITED TO STOCK PRODUCTION GM ECOTEC 4 CYL 2.2 AND 2.4 MOTORS." I wonder if a stock Ecotec Buggy at 118" is equal to a truck at the same WB but with more power? With old rules we knew the buggys were faster on short course races (BAP, Rage) and the trucks and truggys had a slight edge on longer courses. Hopefully this helps the class. I have heard that one builder has 5 trucks being built for the new rules.
a buggy at 118 is a class 10 car. I know our 3000 car at 101" with a DI ecotec could not keep up with that HP.

Bro_Gill

Thankfully the originators of C3000 had a very cool concept of an inexpensive, budget motor'd, mini class 1: Otherwise 10 & 5 would still be floundering with those expensive engines & insane spending all seemingly prompted by special interests...

Scanlon hauled tail in that class back in the day
Yes he did, and I think his finishes up towards the top at MDR races is what gave the 10 guys the idea. He was regularly hurting them.

Kiwiflyer

The other issue being is that if you run a turbo than BITD is the only series you could run as a 3000 in. Which I guess is fine as you could run in class 7 for score etc

ACME

Scanlon built a number of 103", transaxle, mini class 1: OG Ecotech based cars that he ran in MDR, MORE, SCORE, SNORE and BITD races.

It would have been cool to see the original intent of the class carried forward, with a restricted engine-electronics package that didn't allow the runaway spending that now seems inherent in classes that went with the new era "budget eco-motor movement". Another great idea flushed done the toilet by "progression" and insider shenanigans.

No dog in the fight but curious if BITD prompted the new rules as they are interesting and it sounds like another special interest class? Wouldn't a 118" truck with a smaller motor basically be a class 7? Why not just build something to a current classes rules or petition for a motor option or is this another case of someone wanting their own class? Sounds like Toyota may be the new Honda?

Kirk_Babbington

3000 seems similar to Class 10. But it seems the budgets are totally different.
Class 3000 was started years ago, before Ecotecs were even thought about being allowed in class 10. The original concept was a 'mini class 1' car using a wheel base limit and stock Ecotec engine. Car counts were good in MORE, I remember 10+ buggies per race. Then when class 10 allowed the Ecotec, class 3000 died out. I believe the Trophylite is class 3000 legal now??

Bro_Gill

The new rules class is anew class, but I think they will allow original style 3000s in to bump numbers. Crate small motors with turbos and some restrictions on width, wheelbase, tire size and rear end. Lower horsepower and suspension designed to handle much more hp would be a lower budget class in the long run. Numbers I am hearing for a complete motor package are around $7500, that includes adapter for trans, wiring harness, etc... and should include the tune, but they are still working on that. Manual 5 and 6 speeds seem to be the desired shifting in the initial builds I am hearing about. Current NEW factory motors and I believe factory support are also included.

Fourstroker

CD993A17-8E82-460C-BF5B-67978B0E01F1.jpeg

here’s what the original Class 3000 cars looked like. Made by Desert Dynamics and tabbed C1 Lites