Is Class 3000 Dead ?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I didn't know that the 2.3 turbo sucks?
Isn't it loosely related to the turbo engine from the Focus RS and the Mustang?

EDIT:
Did a quick search. It seems like the problem is known.
" The most well-known problem for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine is a failed head gasket. Dozens of Ford Focus RS engines had an issue with a leaking head gasket. The reason was the usage of the wrong head gasket belonged to the Ford Mustang engine. This 2.3l EcoBoost engine has a similar design but the coolant passages are different, which requires head gaskets unique to each engine. Also worth noting, that Mustang didn't have the problem with coolant leakage through a head gasket. "

Slippery P

Reaction

Slippery P

Reaction
I didn't know that the 2.3 turbo sucks?
Isn't it loosely related to the turbo engine from the Focus RS and the Mustang?

EDIT: Did a quick search. It seems like the problem is known.
" The most well-known problem for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine is a failed head gasket. Dozens of Ford Focus RS engines had an issue with a leaking head gasket. The reason was the usage of the wrong head gasket belonged to the Ford Mustang engine. This 2.3l EcoBoost engine has a similar design but the coolant passages are different, which requires head gaskets unique to each engine. Also worth noting, that Mustang didn't have the problem with coolant leakage through a head gasket. "
6945D3EC-2E68-4135-80AE-F242727CABBF.jpeg

The biggest issue with that engine is circled in red, no exhaust manifold or turbo header due to the exhaust ports being conjoined in the cylinder head. This causes 2 issues, #1 all the heat being backed up into the head causes the head to warp and as a result the head gasket fails. This is an issue in the production cars. #2 taking a production engine and using it as we do in this sport while turning up the boost and trying to get every ounce of power out of it poses a huge tuning issue with this type of cylinder head integrated exhaust. Because now there is no way to accurately trim the fuel curve for each individual cylinder being that you cannot put an 02 sensor and EGT sensor in each exhaust port. So you are relying on a collected average A/F reading from all 4 ports, this means one or more cylinders could be lean or rich and still have an acceptable average A/F ratio. Then parts fly out.

Last edited:

Slippery P

Reaction
When tuning an engine on the engine dyno yes, if your engine builder is not doing this I suggest you find a different one.

johndjmix

Reaction
Pretty happy with my TL and the ecotec, and the class in general.....not changing anything. I do love ford, but also love TL, so the Wild Power Sports 6013 is staying a TL.

I actually like the low HP of the truck, it makes things more interesting. I have thought of going 6100, but remember how much fun i can have on a little honda CT 70....more fun than a 450. More power and speed isnt always the most fun.

TL has a good community of drivers and fans. We are like family. There are a few things i would like to change on the truck and class, but keeping with the class rules are important and keep things fair.

--John
Wild Power Sports
Trophylite 6013

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Isnt this the leader of the TL community? Imploding? TL class motor changes? Conspiracy theories? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-153427.jpg
    Screenshot_20200617-153427.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 224

whoopskipper

Reaction
I’ve always wanted to lump short wheelbase 4 cylinder cars together into 1 class. A arm buggies should smoke 5 cars. The trophy lites could do well in real rough courses. But 5 cars for whatever reason are always faster. It would be a big fun class. But it will never happen.
I’ll bring my car out to race if we can make this happen.

MTPyle

Reaction
BRC Arrow,

I don't get that post with CW screen shot. Can you explain? Who is the text with? You and Chris?

Mike

jon coleman

Reaction
Pretty happy with my TL and the ecotec, and the class in general.....not changing anything. I do love ford, but also love TL, so the Wild Power Sports 6013 is staying a TL.

I actually like the low HP of the truck, it makes things more interesting. I have thought of going 6100, but remember how much fun i can have on a little honda CT 70....more fun than a 450. More power and speed isnt always the most fun.

TL has a good community of drivers and fans. We are like family. There are a few things i would like to change on the truck and class, but keeping with the class rules are important and keep things fair.

--John
Wild Power Sports
Trophylite 6013
low horse power racing is The most humbling form of motor sport, you Swear your going as fast as your car can go, then here comes a car, same car you used to beat, that just got sold to a ' new guy', and he flys right by you....in post race you ask him if he changed anything since he bought it, 'no', well sheeeeet, i got to step it up!, your never as fast as your car is capable of being

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
BRC Arrow,

I don't get that post with CW screen shot. Can you explain? Who is the text with? You and Chris?

Mike
Yes Chris and I. Chris preaches the trophylite series infact in this thread I believe, but then talks about racing other classes, then races class 3k when there was a TL class and then responds to me in regards to the motor swap stuff. Could or could not be him f*ckin with me, but why? Why race in 3k? this is just the tip of the iceberg of the hypocrisy from Chris.

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
John what ecu you have in your truck? Arent you supposed to be running a haltek or something like that?

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes Chris and I. Chris preaches the trophylite series infact in this thread I believe, but then talks about racing other classes, then races class 3k when there was a TL class and then responds to me in regards to the motor swap stuff. Could or could not be him f*ckin with me, but why? Why race in 3k? this is just the tip of the iceberg of the hypocrisy from Chris.

Pretty sure he is F-in with you. I know Chris and he is not a Hypocrite. You seem to stir up a lot of crap in the TL world so pretty sure he is just throwing some back.

I don’t see a problem running some TL races and some class 3000. It’s up to him to decide who he wants to race. He is one of the most active TL guys out there.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction

Pretty sure he is F-in with you. I know Chris and he is not a Hypocrite. You seem to stir up a lot of crap in the TL world so pretty sure he is just throwing some back.

I don’t see a problem running some TL races and some class 3000. It’s up to him to decide who he wants to race. He is one of the most active TL guys out there.

Mike

Frye Racing

Reaction
So there were at least 7 people that couldn't find any existing class like: 7 open or 6200 or one of the other truck-buggy-hybrid classes and just get them to allow their motor option and build a vehicle within that classes rules? Those 7 all agreed to build their vehicles at the same time and then got the organizer to agree that they needed to screw over the 30+ existing class legal cars that fit in the current 3000 rules and make them obsolete... that makes perfect sense?!?!

Sounds like all the other special needs classes that a builder or group that wants a marketing win has historically been granted.

IMHO It made more sense when we had less classes and more cars in each, but now everyone gets or changes a class to suit their needs. It's even more tiring that the promoters kiss their a$$e$ and forgets about those that meet the current rules.

I know, history sucks and logic has no place in off road racing...
Have to agree with you 100%, the constant changes without speaking too the racers in the class, keeps killing classes and racers...bad idea to change the rules on a limited class therefore changing it to a money class. This would never happen if Casey Folks was alive.