Is IRS a good option for the new AWD trucks??

isdtbower

Reaction
Do you think we will see IRS in some builds? At big articulation... anti/torque-steer, toe, plunge, strength, and G-out get pretty intense.

Why do trucks generally dominate over Class1? HP or suspension?

Peter Alesi Jr.

Reaction
Neither, you might want to look at the class of drivers and money being spent in the trophy truck class. If you had the same drivers and money being spent in class 1 you might see class 1's winning overall more often. And I think the rules don't allow for independent rear suspension in the trophy truck class!!!

Bricoop

Reaction
Neither, you might want to look at the class of drivers and money being spent in the trophy truck class. If you had the same drivers and money being spent in class 1 you might see class 1's winning overall more often. And I think the rules don't allow for independent rear suspension in the trophy truck class!!!

Isn't that the definition of Class 1? That it requires an IRS? I thought TT's had the option of a fixed axle or an IRS. Teams choose to race fixed axles because they're faster, on average, across baja terrain. At least that was my understanding.

ltr450rider

Reaction
I believe that the solid rear axle platform will always dominate the rough, big whoops terrain as it allows for more wheel travel and is a simpler design. The limitation for independent suspension is the limited angle of CV joints, although with the portal hubs that are being designed and used, I'm sure that will change rapidly in the next few years with development and use.

I would have to say the rear/mid engine truck layout with forward facing transmission and a solid rear axle that allows the rear trailing arm pivots to be placed as far forward on the chassis as possible, allowing more rear wheel travel will be the dominant design, especially in a 4WD truck.

I would say there are multiple reasons why trucks typically dominate over Class 1 cars: More wheel travel, more stable at high speeds in rough terrain, more power, and a typically higher class of driver.

Class 1 cars are now starting to use big power engines, but are still limited by wheel travel, and with the exception of a few drivers, typically don't have the deeper pool of naturally talented drivers that are in the TT class.

I would also add that if you put the top 5 TT drivers in a class 1 car, you would get a better chance of having a Class 1 overall depending on course/terrain, example CJ Hutchins doing very well at Silver State 300 the past few years, and Justin Lofton when he ran Class 1.

J BomBer

Reaction
Aside from AWD, how did this one do?
BBECEA67-DE7C-478B-9B52-D64225681D0A.jpeg

green787

Reaction
I looked at that truck when it was being stored in Temecula.... It was an idea... they had given up..... there is not enough distance from the rear of the turbo 400 to the differential to have any travel in a real mid engine set up like that.... The driveshaft was too short.... That's why the V-drive works....

isdtbower

Reaction
Ultra4 builders/drivers have coined the word FIS. Fully Independent Suspension. "Only safety rules in Ultra4."
Joe Thompson/Gomez FIS single seater Ultra4 has seen a few podiums.

TT's are out on rules?

Rhys Millen is OK in SCORE Class One / Class 2000 / Class 10 / BITD Class 1500 / Class 6200 / Class 7200 truck / Class 10 (Bricoop post in RhyMillen thread)

Will IRS smooth ever outpace TT SA travel? What terrain is IFS (Class1) best for? Is IRS g-out a factor? (ouch)

pgarfinkle

Reaction
It seemed to work for Ivan Stewart fairly well...not sure if a modern equivalent that could complete at the same level is in development.

51rcr

Reaction
I keep waiting for some modern versions to come out. i been hoping Masons would build one and see what they come up with. Would be a class 1 cause of the irs. I like the open wheels and no disposable wrapper any way. people love the look of the body they say. but look how many love the land shark.

isdtbower

Reaction
Layout will probably change again when the IFS becomes elec. Lots of options, which is what makes offfroad racing fun for the informed spectator.

So is IRS truly banned in TT?? Is 4wd truly banned in Class1?? And Truggy is ???

Should there be an Overall Class?? Bring whatever, but anyone in another "Class" can still "overall." (Bet this is not original)

Last edited:

btshannon

Reaction
Layout will probably change again when the IFS becomes elec. Lots of options, which is what makes offfroad racing fun for the informed spectator.

So is IRS truly banned in TT?? Is 4wd truly banned in Class1?? And Truggy is ???

Should there be an Overall Class?? Bring whatever, but anyone in another "Class" can still "overall." (Bet this is not original)
Make off road “classless ‘ again!

jon coleman

Reaction
w suspension technology today, has any one looked at a full blown tt front straight axle, i mean it works killer in the back, why not the front, im not talking about koh type , but somthing way beyond that, just thinking .ps is that cars or drivers going back to ' classless'?