• Forum membership has its advantages....

Is it time to retire the Weatherman frequency 151.625

buckwild

151.625 the weatherman frequency has served Baja Racers well for many years but too many people have the frequency now and it's just not working on race day any more so I suggest a new weatherman frequency only given out to Racers and pit crew and the people that need to have it but still broadcast on the old frequency simultaneously so the public won't know the racers have their own frequency that doesn't have all the stuck mics and children playing on it and everything else that goes on and ruins it on race day what do you all think?

bajafox

Accepted
Every race I wonder the same thing, too many idiots on this channel but then again I wonder how is every team member, chase car and race car supposed to get their radios programmed with the race frequency for just that race?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RYAN COHEE

Simple answer Hell No!!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

A lot of people have it....that's the point. Even my wife has it on her cigarette lighter chase radio. It's a safety thing now. The idiots will find any public race channel we go to that "Everyone" will have to have. Plus can you imagine the radio companies at contingency traitor change all the channels on everyone's radios?
I guess you could look at the plus side, PCI charged me $20 to put in 1 race channel before the $500 on a radio I purchased from them............Hey wait a min.....are you marketing for them?
Just a joke not everyone get all chapped but I did get charged $20 bucks.....I was pretty disappointed.

johndjmix

I program my own radios (Have a HAM and commercial license so I'm experienced with it) however, a few times i didn't have the right cable for a crew members radio.....so I've had PCI do frequency changes at the 1000 and Parker, then had rugged once at the 1000, and never got charged for any of them.

Bro_Gill

That channel is not just 'Weatherman'. It is also a tactical channel used by fire agencies in California. There is a reason channels are assigned by the FCC. They look at maps of use and assign accordingly. It is why some racing teams and clubs have more than 1 channel to use in different places. So we don't talk over the assigned user in that area. Don't change it. You don't understand the implications. And it would stay 'secret' for about 2 seconds in the racing world.

Tipracer

Weatherman is a safety issue... it can be a challenge on race day but the benifits outweigh any negatives.
The stuck mics and nonsense are the reasons many teams have multiple frequencies and msat's/sat phones.

That channel is not just 'Weatherman'. It is also a tactical channel used by fire agencies in California. There is a reason channels are assigned by the FCC. They look at maps of use and assign accordingly. It is why some racing teams and clubs have more than 1 channel to use in different places. So we don't talk over the assigned user in that area. Don't change it. You don't understand the implications. And it would stay 'secret' for about 2 seconds in the racing world.
151.625 is not used by any fire agency, it's a general commercial frequency called red dot.

JON-E

I would say a lot of the radio issues in Mexico are from all the stolen radios over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Bro_Gill

151.625 is not used by any fire agency, it's a general commercial frequency called red dot.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it is a California Statewide Fire tac channel used in several counties. Just because it isn't 800 doesn't mean it isn't used. The California Emergency Response Plan makes the lower band stff mandatory for all emergency agencies in the state to have access to so there is common radio channels. Even agencies that utilize 800 and 900 are given Master Mutual Aid radios to be used when the State is involved in emergency work on a large scale. The agency I worked for used 140s through 180s on every incident they ran, and that was over 130,000 a year.

Zambo

151.625 the weatherman frequency has served Baja Racers well for many years but too many people have the frequency now and it's just not working on race day any more so I suggest a new weatherman frequency only given out to Racers and pit crew and the people that need to have it but still broadcast on the old frequency simultaneously so the public won't know the racers have their own frequency that doesn't have all the stuck mics and children playing on it and everything else that goes on and ruins it on race day what do you all think?
If you can go up to the blackboard and correctly diagram the 101-word sentence you just wrote then, sure, we'll change it.

y2kbaja

Don'r retire the channel but every race at 1:51 and 6:25 there needs to be a minute of silence

ACME

In theory it seems it would make sense but in reality... About 2 races (or 5 mins) after the super-secret new frequency is first installed, it'll be in every radio.

buckwild

In theory it seems it would make sense but in reality... About 2 races (or 5 mins) after the super-secret new frequency is first installed, it'll be in every radio.
As long as you still broadcast weatherman on the old frequency no one will know there's a new frequency for Racers only without all the interference because they will still here weatherman like usual

dan200

#BSF200
As long as you still broadcast weatherman on the old frequency no one will know there's a new frequency for Racers only without all the interference because they will still here weatherman like usual
So, WM is supposed to broadcast on 2 frequencies now? And then reply to everyone on two channels also?
That sounds like a PITA.

In our chase truck we have multiple radios so we can monitor Weatherman, Our "RACE" channel and our "Chase" channel. Now we need to monitor a 4th one?