• Forum membership has its advantages....

is there a 4 valve 22R motor in japan?

geoff

Many motors in japan never quite make it over here. I recenetly heard that there is a 4valve 22r in the toyota pickup in japan, is this true? If so a 4 valve pentroof head could flow pretty damn well, and I know a number of japanese engine importers... just curious

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

geoff

just answered my own question

There was a Japanese version 21R 2000cc, which had both an early and late model cylinder head similar to the 20R and 22R. These were imported due to the big demand for used engines. There is nothing of interest from these engines.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical Information/22r_tech_notes.htm

cleartoy

There is no 4 valve 22R. There is a 4 valve 2RZ(2.4 dohc tacoma 2wd) and 3RZ(2.7 dohc Tacoma 4wd.)

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Dylan

I remember hearing about a 4 valve Toyota motor that would swap into US trucks years ago. It wasn’t a 22R it was like an 18RC or something. It was smaller displacement but high revving. I heard more recently about people doing a Supra 6cyl swap into Toyota trucks, this sounds like the hot setup, the non turbo is ~220 HP and the turbo is limitless. These motors are also available from Japan very cheep

DPpatrol

Have you seen pictures of supra powered trucks? Talk about a cramped engine bay. I was considering this swap myself, till I saw 2 trucks which had done it, there was no room left at all in the engine bay. However 200 hp normally aspirated would be cool. Also I'm pretty sure that the truck transmission will bolt right up to 5M-GE and 7M-GE motors.

jason

geoff

From what i've seen/found the 18RC was in the celica, which also had a 22R, so it should definatley bolt in not sure if it will share the same bellhousing, bu im trying to find more info...

I just got surgery and am recovering so i have nothing better to do for the next week but sti around on the internet. Thank god for the internet cause i hate tv and would have to resort to reading a <gasp> book haha.

vwguy

i know some chevy small blocks bolt up to toyota transmissions

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

ntsqd

Only with an AA adapter AFAIK. Then watch all the pretty transmission parts that come out........
The Supra trans will likely take it, but that's not what comes in trucks.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

vwguy

if your going to go to that much trouble why not put in a descent used small block and a transmission made for that power that will bolt up without problems

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Ryno

Geoff-

I was planning a 4.3 V6 Chevy/ 4L60E swap into my 92 4X4 toy, until I found out I'm keeping my fullsize. Anyways, downey sells the kit that bolts up to the Toy t-case, for about $ 650. With the 4.3, you could easily get 300hp, without doing much. If the truck is 2wd, you just need to slide the transmission crossmember back, and re-drill the frame for the new mounting location. Then just have a new driveshaft made. the 4.3 is the same bore/ stroke as the 350. The block is even the same minus the front two cylinders. Parts for chevys are cheap, and readily found everywhere. Just my .02

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Dylan

I put a 4.3 CPI motor in my 84 toy 4X4 with a AA bellhousing. The input bearing on the trany doesn't last long but I havent broken any parts yet, although i expect to eventualy, at wich point i might put in a 700R4

geoff

I'm a freak. I like small dispacement 4 cylinder motors that come from the land of saki and sushi and barely put out triple digit horsepower numbers... its a good challenge. And anyway how many prerunners are boosted?? =)

might as well be a little different... anyway i dont know how to make any power N/A lol.

mustafa

Has anyone seen a conversion with a Northstar motor yet? They're pretty light, compact and reliable and I'd imagine that they could be smogable too. Some of the sand cars
are pumping out 600 to 700 hp.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.