Is there anyone close to odessa, tx

RYANSHAE

Looking for someone who might be close to odessa, tx that has knowledge of class 9 chassis requirements. I have a rail that i believe is made of chrome moly with a dual port 1600 motor that has just been rebuilt. The chassis itself has been reinforced at each joint with a mild steel brace. Is this legal or is it just going to be a whole bunch of work to get it legal to race. I just want to race in some local events within 300 t0 400 miles from here. Nothing real big. Just for fun. I would appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thank you, shae

Shred918

I dont know if any of us are out there. Post some pics with the body off would be a good start.

JAM 1600

Looking for someone who might be close to odessa, tx that has knowledge of class 9 chassis requirements. I have a rail that i believe is made of chrome moly with a dual port 1600 motor that has just been rebuilt. The chassis itself has been reinforced at each joint with a mild steel brace. Is this legal or is it just going to be a whole bunch of work to get it legal to race. I just want to race in some local events within 300 t0 400 miles from here. Nothing real big. Just for fun. I would appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thank you, shae
First thing to do is check the wheel base to see if it is legal ! If not then it would be to much work to consider all of the other requirements !:rolleyes:

RYANSHAE

Ok, as soon as I get off I will take some pics and get them on here. It is pretty short. I don't believe it will be over the 100" mark. What I am worried about is wether thoses mild steel braces at the joints will be legal or not. I really don't know why they built it that way. The joints were strong enough without those but anyways. This buggy is 10 or more years old. I will have to put in some webbing and new floor as well as build a body for it. It is just a project. If I had the money for a new chassis then i would just buy a new one, but as it is I will just have to deal with this one wether I can race it or not.

JAM 1600

Ok, as soon as I get off I will take some pics and get them on here. It is pretty short. I don't believe it will be over the 100" mark. What I am worried about is wether thoses mild steel braces at the joints will be legal or not. I really don't know why they built it that way. The joints were strong enough without those but anyways. This buggy is 10 or more years old. I will have to put in some webbing and new floor as well as build a body for it. It is just a project. If I had the money for a new chassis then i would just buy a new one, but as it is I will just have to deal with this one wether I can race it or not.
Do you plan on running SCORE ?

tmathews

You could always race it in a Sportsman class.

RYANSHAE

No it won't be a score race but the guy that is running it said to use the score rule book. And even if you do run a sportsman class you still have to be legal don't you?

Sorry i didn't get pics up yet. I forgot about a deal i had going after work yesterday. I will do my best to get them up in the next day or two.

Thank all of you guys for weighing in on this. I need all the help i can get.

JAM 1600

No it won't be a score race but the guy that is running it said to use the score rule book. And even if you do run a sportsman class you still have to be legal don't you?

Sorry i didn't get pics up yet. I forgot about a deal i had going after work yesterday. I will do my best to get them up in the next day or two.

Thank all of you guys for weighing in on this. I need all the help i can get.
If you do not plan on getting it Score inspected you should be ok ! Of course I say this blindly without actually seeing the car but if you are only concerned that it will not pass because of the corner braces not being Cromo you should be ok. I am sure if you got some pics up and we could see the design of the build we could probably give you a better idea ! :)

Shred918

First of all your front end is not a balljoint so that would have to be changed out (requiring fab work) That chassis might be hard to get to pass tech.

ACME

Kinda reminds me of a cross between Nate's car and Corey's when he had the Keg-O-Nater in it...

Shred918

I am going to give it to you right between the eyes now that I have a little time here. I am not trying to crush your dreams but all you basically have is a chassis that would have to go through a major redesign. You would be better off buying a car that is already a 9 car.

For a little money (more than you might think) you could get that thing together to go play in but it is a really far cry from a race car.

Take it for what it is worth but I went through something kind of like what you are looking at but my car was already an "OK" single seater (use that term lightly). I cut it up and am on the tail end of the rebuild but it is a lot more work that building a new car. Look at my thread to get an idea.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45904

RYANSHAE

Well, thats what i figured. I didn't have my hopes up. I just found out about these local races and thats what i thought i might could do but o well. I will just fix it up with the twin carb set up i want and paint it and get it street legal again. It was once before. I will drive it the 6 blocks i drive to work and just for fun. Go to the sandhills once in a while. Take it to the mountains and hunting. That kind of stuff. Maybe i will get a race buggy someday.

RYANSHAE

Oh, and also, about the front end. I have a ball joint type and a transaxle that i pulled from a 1968 vw bug. So, ya i knew that the link pin system wouldn't work but the frame was the big worry. I just can't throw out 7-15 grand for a 9 car just to run local. I also have 2 engines. Both 1600's. One is a dual port and the other is a single port. So i have a good bit of parts. Just not the money to do a whole lot with them yet. Everything but the dual port engine needs to be rebuilt, so none of it is really in any kind of shape. I just came across a good deal so i jumped on it. At least for fun. I have about $1200 in the whole thing including the rebuilt engine and all the extra stuff.

Shred918

Get that thing running and have a great time it in. Sorry to spoil your dream but you might wanna go to one of the local races and find out what there rules are. You might be able to get something out of it.

RYANSHAE

Ya, like i said, i talked to the guy that is running those shows. He said that he goes by score rules. Of course i don't know about the inspection. O well. Thanks for the insight. Thats what i needed most.

RYANSHAE

Hey, thanks. I will keep looking. I love trying to find a deal. So, thats what i will try for a whiile. Thanks again.

Ryan shae