Is this safe for racing?

Igino

Reaction
Hey guys - is this setup gonna be safe for racing? The red lines are where tubes go underneath the center of the cab, and where tubes (will) go on the sides. Also, the red dots are where the tube will be bolted to the frame.....

Attachments

07FJRog

Reaction
hmmm, seat sliders in a race vehicle??

Igino

Reaction
its pretty much a necessity - i'm 6'8" my buddies about 6'....gonna be less safe without 'em.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
its pretty much a necessity - i'm 6'8" my buddies about 6'....gonna be less safe without 'em.
I looked for the thread and cant find it but, it is here someplace. Maybe somebody else can find it. There is a safer and simpler way to have sliders using tube.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Hey guys - is this setup gonna be safe for racing? The red lines are where tubes go underneath the center of the cab, and where tubes (will) go on the sides. Also, the red dots are where the tube will be bolted to the frame.....
Difficult to tell from the pics, but depending on class and series, I dont think the slider will pass tech. There should be a firm mount that cannot shift on impact. Might want to work that issue first before you get to many tubes going.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
More everyone uses seat inserts when doing a driver change. The padded inserts takes up the difference heights of the drivers.
The big seat manufactures make them.

Igino

Reaction
after sleeping on it - there's absolutely no reason to not make this as strong as possible. We'll be running tubes the length of the cab as well. As far as the sliders go, it'll be pretty easy to take out the sliders for different series'. Thanks for the pointers guys.

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
Make sliders out of tubes. It looks exactly the same as the ones you have except you use tubes.

Make a floor frame out of tubes, but dont weld it all together. Then take a tube which has the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the frame tube, and take it to a lathe and turn the inside out a little bit at a time until the two tubes slide well with no slop. You can always use lube.

Make a seat mount frame of bar stock to the sliding tubes, and then slide that assembly to the straight outside tubes for the floor frame. Then weld the floor frame and make sure to keep everything straight.

mount that assembly to the truck for whichever height you want and distance from front to back, but make sure to slope the seat assembly with the front of the seat being higher than the back. This will give you a slider that can adjust to different drivers. To make adjustments drill holes in slider and floor frame at different incriments and use one of those pin deals with the ball bearing stop at the end of them.

I dont have pics though. Sorry

Haycock

Reaction
Make sliders out of tubes. It looks exactly the same as the ones you have except you use tubes.

Make a floor frame out of tubes, but dont weld it all together. Then take a tube which has the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the frame tube, and take it to a lathe and turn the inside out a little bit at a time until the two tubes slide well with no slop. You can always use lube.

Make a seat mount frame of bar stock to the sliding tubes, and then slide that assembly to the straight outside tubes for the floor frame. Then weld the floor frame and make sure to keep everything straight.

mount that assembly to the truck for whichever height you want and distance from front to back, but make sure to slope the seat assembly with the front of the seat being higher than the back. This will give you a slider that can adjust to different drivers. To make adjustments drill holes in slider and floor frame at different incriments and use one of those pin deals with the ball bearing stop at the end of them.

I dont have pics though. Sorry
heres some pics

Attachments

Zambo

Reaction
heres some pics
The ones in our truck are like that, except instead of using those bosses to mount the slider tubes on each end we just welded a trick tab on to a tube that runs all the way across the truck. A couple of seemingly obvious things I would say to anybody making these....first, don't make the sliding tubes super tight to each other, just a little bit of slop will help them move and you won't feel it in the seat. Second, you have to use a jig or some other method to make sure the slider tubes are dead nuts parallel and square or it won't work at all. Make sure you clean them before a race and lube them with some dry graphite or whatever so they slide easily.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
About mounting seats with the "tube over tube" method... How well do they slide after dirt/silt has gotten into the vehicle? Seems like very little dirt would cause them to "gum" up... I like that idea but curious how well it works outside the shop.

Zambo

Reaction
Like I said in my above post, if you use tubes that have just a little slop built in and you weld everything square they will slide smoothly. Just keep them clean and lubricated, you shouldn't have to adjust them that often anyway.