Is tracking important when racing in Mexico?

RacingTraX

Reaction
Not trying to stir the pot, just thought this post on Anube's (Official SCORE tracker) Facebook page was interesting and should be considered if you think that tracking is important for your team when racing in Mexico. From what I understand SCORE has it set up so "they" can track you reliably and receive alerts so that's good at least. However, again and again Anube's public tracking site has had issues and so they are apparently going out of their way to post and let teams know that "Anube sport is not a racing tracking system"... so don't rely on it to be so.

On that note, RacingTraX "IS" a race tracking system. Not only do we track you on-line, our system works where you can put one tracker on your race car, bike, quad or UTV, and another tracker on all of your chase vehicles. Your race tracker will automatically send a message every 8 minutes with your current RACE MILE AND SPEED to all of your chase vehicles. This is all done through the iridium satellite network so there's no cell service needed. You can also send messages from unit to unit or easily send messages to any cell phone that is in service.

Rental prices start at $190 for two units, one race and one chase. Then it's $95 for each additional chase vehicle. Our race units are battery operated so no wiring is necessary (great for bikes and quads). Chase units plug into vehicles 12v cigarette lighter plug.

Get signed up at BajaTracking.com or post here with questions.

-David Clay

fullsizeoutput_d86e.jpeg

Attachments

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
The Anube Stella 3 worked great at NORRA, no complaints here. 100% better than the crap BITD used to make us buy that never worked.

RacingTraX

Reaction
I agree, IRC was not very good. And just to clarify, I'm not talking about Anube's push-to-pass/stopped vehicle alert system, they've done a great job there, I used it at the Baja 1000 and the San Felipe 250 and liked it. I'm talking about the satellite tracking aspect of it. It didn't work well at the 1000 nor at the 250, during NORRA I was only able to get it to load once (picture below) and then I couldn't figure out how to sort the mess. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, which is the reason that Anube itself posted that they are not a racing tracking system.
fullsizeoutput_d914.jpeg

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
ok. i been txt with you for a while..i do really want at least 2 units but budget is skyrocketing with this new administration(reason we didn't do the 500)

txt me later if we can work something out.. im the area code 787 guy...

9rocky

Reaction
Been using Racing Trax in Baja for the last few races, and it works amazing. The Stella system is great in the cars, and Racing Trax is great for the chase teams and people at home.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Kinda of waiting to see how well Leadnav will work with Iridium go. Its supposed to be able to see all the team and be able to send and receive messages via leadnav.

RacingTraX

Reaction
Kinda of waiting to see how well Leadnav will work with Iridium go. Its supposed to be able to see all the team and be able to send and receive messages via leadnav.
Yeah that should be interesting to see how they work it, hopefully they've worked out a plan with iridium go to get the price down on service. Per the iridium go web site, a 16 hour race would equal out to cost about $775 per vehicle using the service if they are keeping the connection live. Or you can use our stuff for $95 per vehicle, essentially get the same information (race mile and speed) and also be able to message between the entire team. The LeadNav live tracking will be awesome though, it'll just come with a price tag.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Where did you come up with $775? I guess you buy the one month service plan from Leadnav that gives you unlimited tracking and messaging. also 30min of voice calls. And you can rent Iridium gos for under 50 bucks. I have not tried it yet. But depends how good and fast it updates. $175 still little high per month but maybe it will come down with more users.

oneleglance

Reaction
So we have been using Delorme InReach devices on our NORRA Bronco and 3 chase vehicles with all of them tracked on a free spotwalla.com page.
The updates come every 10min and you need cell service or wifi to see the spotwalla page but these are units we all already own so no additional cost when racing.
While I would like something better cost is always an issue for us vintage folks.

RacingTraX

Reaction
Where did you come up with $775? I guess you buy the one month service plan from Leadnav that gives you unlimited tracking and messaging. also 30min of voice calls. And you can rent Iridium gos for under 50 bucks. I have not tried it yet. But depends how good and fast it updates. $175 still little high per month but maybe it will come down with more users.
$775 is what they charge for 1000 minutes... that roughly gives you a little over 16 hours if you're looking for live tracking. Satellite is expensive, there's really no way around it. As for the $175 unlimited plan you're referring to, this is for unlimited 1 hour position updates, maybe LeadNav worked out a deal to condense the update allotment into a two day race period? I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative on other's programs, I'm just trying to shine a light on a company (RacingTrax/Baja Tracking) who has worked hard to create an affordable direct race-to-chase tracking program for the small niche desert racing community because we love this sport and want to be involved. To keep things into perspective, when BITD finally got fed up with IRC and started looking for something better, before they called us they actually reached out to InReach, when InReach found out that the job was to track 200-300 racers 6 times a year for a day at a time they pretty much ended the conversation with "Not worth our time, we've probably sold 300 units with full subscriptions in the time it's taken us to have this conversation". No joke! So yeah, $95 for a RacingTraX unit rental AND service, 4 minute on-line map updates, 8 minute race to chase updates, texting and team messaging is pretty reasonable I would think... right?

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
aside from david being QUITE THE SALESMAN.......the racing trax setup works REALLY well in baja and its not very expensive.....its nice to be able to text to racecar and all chasetrucks anywhere in baja , at anytime....and you can even message anywhere in u.s. to tell your peeps at home you are ok if you were involved in a race incident......ITS A LEGIT SYSTEM......ive been using for a couple years now......if it SUCKED, i would say so....

AZ7000'

Reaction
Do you guys have a price plan/package for non racing use? Here is an example, 6 dirtbikers on the trail heading to mikes and the 2 chase trucks are already there, no cell or sat phones. The RM wouldn't be included as there wouldn't be a map but to get 10 min updates (or as appropriate) of either just their speed or their speed and coordinates would be great sent from one bike to the guys/gals up at mikes tethering their phone to the racingtraX box?

Substitute Mikes for Gonzaga, Catavina, BOLA, etc. Maybe a 1 week, 10day, and 2 week package? Purchase or rent the box and subscribe for a time period? Location updates based on whatever you thought worked best to know the riders are making progress, not just riding circles.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

Bricoop

Reaction
From a fan's point of view, please continue to increase coverage. Your product is great to help us follow along. I'm sure you could find ways to monetize it as well. Really enjoyed following along some of the BITD events earlier this year.

johndjmix

Reaction
Isnt iridium go $125 a month for an unlimited plan? As per the web.

Racing trax units work absolutely awesome though, not taking away from that!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

43mod

Reaction
And Racing Trax has come on here to promote their product without saying one bad thing about any other service or product. Well done. Maybe for the 1000 we can afford the tracking if someone else provides the race vehicle ...

RacingTraX

Reaction
Do you guys have a price plan/package for non racing use? Here is an example, 6 dirtbikers on the trail heading to mikes and the 2 chase trucks are already there, no cell or sat phones. The RM wouldn't be included as there wouldn't be a map but to get 10 min updates (or as appropriate) of either just their speed or their speed and coordinates would be great sent from one bike to the guys/gals up at mikes tethering their phone to the racingtraX box?

Substitute Mikes for Gonzaga, Catavina, BOLA, etc. Maybe a 1 week, 10day, and 2 week package? Purchase or rent the box and subscribe for a time period? Location updates based on whatever you thought worked best to know the riders are making progress, not just riding circles.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!
Yeah we could do that for sure, let me get some pieces together and I'll PM you.

RacingTraX

Reaction
Isnt iridium go $125 a month for an unlimited plan? As per the web.

Racing trax units work absolutely awesome though, not taking away from that!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com
Thank you! And if you read close on their site you'll see that the unlimited plan is for unlimited one hour position updates which I'll agree is better than nothing but not ideal for our type of racing.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Thank you! And if you read close on their site you'll see that the unlimited plan is for unlimited one hour position updates which I'll agree is better than nothing but not ideal for our type of racing.
I could not find on the leadnav site where it said was only unlimited for one hour. It only says unlimited for one month.

With Racing Trax can I see the other chase trucks and race car with no cell or internet connection on a map? Can I sign up for sms service and send to iridium sat phone messages?

RacingTraX

Reaction
You are correct, it is unlimited for a month, but what you are getting "unlimited" is unlimited HOURLY updates. This is information off of the Iridium Go web page, I have no idea if LeadNav has set something else up. I cannot find any actual prices from LeadNav on how much the service will actually cost for a race like the Baja 500. I talked with some teams that saw it being demo's down at the NORRA, I asked them and they said it was pretty spendy, not sure what that exactly means. It will be a cool system but will come with a price for it's features.

Our Baja Tracking program does not let you see where everyone is on a live map, we've looked at that "as LeadNav has" and could not find a cost effect way to do it, maybe someone smarter than us can, but a lot of it boiled down to hard satellite costs. Sometimes people overcomplicate things, we started with a question, what's most important for tracking down in Mexico? Our answer: Chase crew needing to know where the race vehicle is and if they were moving. That's it! It's a neat feature that the race vehicle can see where their guys are, but honestly, how often are people missing their fuel stops? Has this been a huge issue in the past of cars not being able to find their pits? I'd personally say no. Our system automatically sends a message every 8 minutes to every chase vehicle with your race vehicle's current race mile and speed. If you are are Pit 3 which is at RM 180, and you get a message that your race car is at rm125 doing 65mph, and then 8 minutes later a message that says they're at rm 135 doing 43 mph, how it is more beneficial to actually be seeing it on a live map when it's going to cost you "possibly" ten times as much. Sometimes simplicity rules.

As far as messaging, you can send messages between each team members trackers though iridium, it's very simply to connect and message. You can also send emails and texts to friends and family back in the States. For $25 we'll even link a family members cell phone to get the same 8 minutes updates back at home so they don't have to hover over a computer all day. We also track both race and chase vehicles on-line, but your have to have cell service or internet to see that.

LeadNav

Reaction
We do in fact have very smart software engineers....and after two years of working alongside Iridium we have been able to totally rewrite how these devices communicate.

Last week, after a considerable amount of coding, we released and now offer true "off the grid" to "off the grid" live group location tracking... on the map (offline satellite imagery)... inside of LEADNAV GPS...between all assets "in the field".

This has been truly a groundbreaking and highly requested capability between our military, law enforcement, gov and desert racing communities.

In the environments we operate.... it does no good for your command and control or supporting assets to only see you when back home in a data/cellular environment... they need this capability while in the field "off the grid" with you/each other.

We provide a full mission package in the form of our LEADNAV GPS application, hardware and service plans.

We are Iridium dealers and service providers. To make this capability possible you will need our service plans with activation into our own highly developed servers.

Whats needed

LEADNAV GPS $20 (iOS application for iPad and iPhone)

LEADNAV GPS in app subscription to PRO PACK $150 a year (Allows you to save large amounts of satellite/topo/street background imagery for these bigger events. Has higher capabilities in PreRunning and Event setup. Has our satellite communication and group tracking features)

Iridium GO! $799

Our new LN-GO rugged enclosure (recommended for race vehicle....available pre order now)

Our satellite Service plans
Activation into our Server $105
+
Single Event/1 Month $175
6-12 Month $145-165 a month (Group rates and term decide price)

What you get
- Unlimited Off the Grid to Off the Grid Group location Tracking between our Iridium GO's (Also our cellular group tracking is integrated into this group....for those in cellular range)....meaning you can leave your tracking on for a month straight...and its not going to make a difference in your bill.

- Unlimited SMS messaging

- 150 minutes voice

Specs
- Standalone the Iridium GO will put out 5-10 minute location updates to your team (not connected to LEADNAV)

- Iridium GO connected to LEADNAV you can run Standard (5-10 minute updates) or Rapid (currently testing at 30 second, 1 minute updates with a 10 minute tracking window - 3 minute off - 10 minute on to allow SMS messages to come through)

We tested this during the NORRA 1000 with great results. In fact the Race truck blew an axle...we watched the Chase Truck stop...reroute over to them utilizing LEADNAVs GPS capabilities...linkup...etc.

We loaded out several teams already for the 500 and are fine tuning this capability even further over the next few weeks.

Truly groundbreaking developments....and even cooler when tied to our GPS interface...

Damian
CEO/Founder
LEADNAV

Last edited: