It is now the year 2021...

Jacob D

Reaction
Noticed a few days back on Ryan Beat’s insta story, he was giving an update on what’s all in the shop and he teased a new pro lite he’s been building. Sounded to me like he was the one that would be racing it. Definitely would mix things up in that class!

waytwofast

Reaction
Most of y’all touched on what I’ve seen online. I have seen Todd leduc working on his pro4 he had the engine and trans out, you usually don’t do that to sit in the garage. And like that picture showed Rob Mac in Crandon mid winter having lunch with some big players so we’ll see what comes of that. Today looks like Kyle leducs son just got a kids cart. The team I race with is adding a Single buggy to the line up.

stephenrjking

Reaction
The announcement should be made...sooner rather than later.

Guys will need time, to put together a program for sponsorship...and we may be past time, to put Wheatland, on that schedule.
I suspect a lot of people who will be involved already know, but since there will be a demonstration at KOH, there will certainly be an official announcement by next week.

stephenrjking

Reaction
“Flannery and Keagan Kincaid are even forming a Hendrick Motorsports racing team and both will compete” - antigo journal. An article was posted today with that in it
Wow, this article has all kinds of stuff in it. It sounds like it's mostly reporting stuff that Flannery talked about, which is... actually a pretty good source. Allegedly, they hope Lucas Oil will come on board as a sponsor, and there's talk of adding Wheatland. Some of this seems highly speculative (Flannery also mentioned the possibility of Amsoil, which means that neither has made a commitment and we're in the "hope" stage) but it's more than we usually get.

Found it here: Big off-road racing event looks to be headed to Antigo

Pro4orNothing

Reaction
Seems like a rather steep price increase for Crandon this year...

Still looking forward to attending Fall Crandon in-person this year as always, but have some concerns that this could negatively impact 2021 attendance at the Big House...

Attachments

• 7373DB3E-FB17-464D-A6BB-759BAE211388.jpeg
    7373DB3E-FB17-464D-A6BB-759BAE211388.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 81

stephenrjking

Reaction
I wonder what single day tickets are. That’s a lot, and I’m not sure it’s wise with the fanbase already well-exploited.

Might be able to get away with it in the fall, but spring could hurt with races in Antigo and Lena both nearby and pulling on the pocketbooks.

stephenrjking

Reaction
Crandon is trying to backtrack just a bit on its price hike.

Clearly the bad feedback was widespread.

My thoughts: I understand that there may be a need to hike prices. There may be good benefits to it. I don't think the way they did it, with the enormous jump right after the track was sold, was the way to do it. The track has, inherently, lost some of its community goodwill, and while the Flannerys are "part of the family," it was hard not to be frustrated by the numbers. I for one had given some thought to taking the whole family next year, including my wife who has never been, for the Saturday of Labor Day weekend... and even with these slightly reduced prices, it's not going to happen.

It's good that they're listening. But the initial move was probably not wise, because now our hackles are raised. It would have been better to being a process of incrementally hiking the prices by more manageable amounts over several years.

This is a bit less of a sting, and I think things would have gone better if they had done this first.

Thing is, short course has a great fanbase. But it's not *that* big. And sports with larger fanbases have already found that they've pushed past the limits of the fans' wallets.

I'm glad they're doing some listening. I hope one-day tickets will be more reasonable.

Pro4orNothing

Reaction
The pricing is better...but it's still quite the hike relative to what Crandon has cost in the past. In hindsight, a weekend at Crandon is still cheaper than what it'll cost to just get in the door for one day at Elkhart Lake this summer for any of the major pavement racing series that make their way into Wisconsin. I'll still be happy as a clam on the hillside at the Fall race, but I may ride up to Dirt City to get another weekend of racing in as opposed to the June race at the Big House...

Based on what I've seen on the hillside, the average Crandon fan isn't someone who's willing to break the bank for tickets at near-Nascar/IndyCar level prices. It's affordable to bring a bunch of friends or the family to - concessions are reasonable and delicious, you weren't charged big league prices to get in the door, and could still walk out with shirt or hoodie from your favorite driver for a reasonable price. I'm hoping that Crandon can keep that in mind - you can have a fantastic product on track like COR and Crandon currently do, but it means nothing if the cost of entry is too high for your core ticket buyers.

I keep seeing/reading/hearing about all of these upgrades that Crandon is/going to be doing and that's how the increases are being justified, but exactly what are those? Will they truly improve the fan experience? If I knew that my extra $15/weekend was going towards upgrading some of the more "outdated" amenities at the track in the immediate future, I could support that...if it's going towards the additions of a UTV/off-road park that does me no good, or so they can book a big name concert act, then it's a hard "no" from me.

ME Motorsports

Reaction
So here is my two cents worth on the "New Crandon"
They are now at NASCAR prices for camping. And yes I have camped at several NASCAR tracks. To charge what they are now charging for a old rundown campground is just crazy! They have made no improvements to the Crandon campground in YEARS! A shower house that is way to small for the size of the campground. No permanent bathroom facilities just port-a potty's and fewer of them each year that do not get cleaned like they should. Dirt roads that they will not even water to keep the dust down. This list just goes on and on. I love this track and would drive 8 hours one way twice a year to attend but this is just too much. I could see the price increase if they had made improvements that were compared to the beautiful track that Lucas built in Wheatland. IMO that track could demand a pricing structure like Crandon now wants because you can see the time and money that was spent on the track and surrounding facilities. This sport is on life support. Is this really the best time to line up your fan base and slap them for their longtime support of the sport?

Last edited:

acers

Reaction
If the upgrades are for the fans I have no problem with it. But if I pay more to go and its the same I will feel ripped off. It is getting run down and needs upgrades so will be interesting what they do.

freshwillie

Reaction
me motorsports is pretty much on the money plus i think we torture our fans. 10 minutes of racing action every 45 minutes for 8=10 hours. siting on a lawn chair you brought. geting baked in the sun while drinking piles of budlite and fried food. i have always wanted to do more of a dirt track layout were we race heats/consi/feature under the lights.

stephenrjking

Reaction
me motorsports is pretty much on the money plus i think we torture our fans. 10 minutes of racing action every 45 minutes for 8=10 hours. siting on a lawn chair you brought. geting baked in the sun while drinking piles of budlite and fried food. i have always wanted to do more of a dirt track layout were we race heats/consi/feature under the lights.
I disagree a bit here. The races are 20-30 minutes. The breaks to groom the track give an opportunity to visit restrooms or walk around... and you can walk straight to the pits, meeting the stars and seeing the trucks get serviced and worked on. Time it right and you can watch a truck drive right past you to staging. You're in your own lawn chair, more comfortable than bleacher seating, and the length of the day gives tremendous bang for the buck.

It's more comfortable and less punishingly intense than a 500-mile oval race, where stepping out for half an hour means you come back and you probably missed action and have to catch up. Here, if you need to go cool down or stretch your legs, you don't miss anything, or you have a lot of time if you want to skip, say, 1600 light buggy.

handmethemic

Reaction
if you want to skip, say, 1600 light buggy.
A true hardcore fan would never do that...

More on track with the intent of this thread, Cole Mamer posted on FB that he is in for the whole Champ season in Pro Light, and in a separate post teased returning in Pro 4 as well.

Crandon made a good move by walking back the price hikes. My biggest fear is that the original price increase would price out the "common working folks" that are the beating heart of Crandon's fan base. I personally know a lot of folks who are "nine to fivers" who make Labor Day at Crandon their yearly vacation, the event they save up PTO and spare cash for--doubling some of those prices made it a lot harder for that segment to justify showing up.

A good example is a friend of mine from southern WI. For fuel, a wristband, his share of a campsite, beer and food on the hill, and maybe a couple pieces of merch, it runs about $300. With the posted-then-retracted prices, it becomes closer to $500 or more. Compare that to say, Lena, where he can get a comparable experience for $200 (and sure, less glitz and weight to the event, no shootout races, and so on) and it becomes harder to choose Crandon, especially for a "hardcore" fan who just wants to see competitive racing and couldn't care less about "big" concerts and bells-and-whistles.