It is now the year 2021...

handmethemic

Reaction
That's the Crandon wordmark over the door... thinking it's a promo shoot for uh, something...

stephenrjking

Reaction
Definitely got a little sneaky peak on the number plate
Indeed. Meshes with that pic Keegan posted a few weeks ago of studded tires (the old, racing-specific ones) on his truck. (Edit: And he just posted an instagram story or whatever, a video of a pan of the barn turn, with the snow graded down).

My guess is a promo video / fun video of some kind. It's much too late in the winter to plan an event that you want to draw actual competitors or fans to attend.

...And that's a Lucas Oil logo on the side. Well, well.

Last edited:

DaGuy

Reaction
Guessing it’s some event they plan on holding next winter, and definitely is a Lucas Oil logo, which I find very interesting. Might just be an “advertisement” body for Crandon itself, but I guess time will tell
Also a thing to note, Andrew Carlson recently had a post with the Pro-2 and still had Pastrana’s stuff on it, maybe hinting towards a return for him???

Last edited:

handmethemic

Reaction
Definitely got a little sneaky peak on the number plate
Good eye. I missed that one.

I think Jamey and others have teased the idea enough on social media by now that it's kind of an "open secret".

It'll be a neat event to see, for sure. On its face, it sounds like an idea hatched late-night in a bar. "Hey man, you know what'd be awesome, if they raced trucks at Crandon in the snow!"

But then, if you know the story of the original Brush Run 101, that's how things get put in motion in Crandon...
...And that's a Lucas Oil logo on the side. Well, well.

Maybe a tease that Crandon has a new partner?

Side note, feels weird to not have my dad on the board at Crandon anymore... I used to know a lot of this stuff before "the public" did and now I'm left sorting through the rumors with everyone else 😄

stephenrjking

Reaction
Good eye. I missed that one.

I think Jamey and others have teased the idea enough on social media by now that it's kind of an "open secret".

It'll be a neat event to see, for sure. On its face, it sounds like an idea hatched late-night in a bar. "Hey man, you know what'd be awesome, if they raced trucks at Crandon in the snow!"

But then, if you know the story of the original Brush Run 101, that's how things get put in motion in Crandon...

Maybe a tease that Crandon has a new partner?

Side note, feels weird to not have my dad on the board at Crandon anymore... I used to know a lot of this stuff before "the public" did and now I'm left sorting through the rumors with everyone else 😄
That Antigo paper article suggested that Lucas Oil might sponsor COR. But if it's just the track, that's still good. (And if this is a not-championship event they're plugging, that sounds like it's a track sponsorship?).

Snow racing might be a "hatched with the buddies" type of idea, but it's not like racing trucks on snow is a totally new idea. Red Bull kind of made it a bit more stunt-like, but short course racing already features a similar style of driving, and Crandon *does* have a lot of snow in the winter. There are dedicated snow rallies, of course, and that works just fine. Why not?

I mean, the "why not" is maybe fans don't really want to sit in the cold that much and studded tires and truck reconfiguration would be expensive. But the UTVs are already doing that stuff in the Greaves series and we have machines just sitting and a great coating of snow in the area. Maybe they're interested in tying something in with the Sno-Cross series? Who knows.

But I like racing in the snow when it is actual racing. I have to drive on this stuff for months, may as well watch guys go fast in it.

handmethemic

Reaction
I mean, the "why not" is maybe fans don't really want to sit in the cold that much and studded tires and truck reconfiguration would be expensive. But the UTVs are already doing that stuff in the Greaves series and we have machines just sitting and a great coating of snow in the area. Maybe they're interested in tying something in with the Sno-Cross series? Who knows.

But I like racing in the snow when it is actual racing. I have to drive on this stuff for months, may as well watch guys go fast in it.

Speaking as a Crandon native, every northern WI/Upper Peninsula man, at some point in the winter, finds an empty parking lot or an unplowed backroad to throw their pickup sideways and pretend they're [insert short course legend here]. It's a universal fact of growing up where there's snow. I think the "locals" crowd would be there for it.

I have no idea what an event format would look like, but I think one day (night?) of Frozen-Rush style 1v1 races (crossover jump???), followed by an "all vs. all" shootout (maybe a heat-heat-main format?) the following day would make a heck of a show even if it's only Pro 4s [edit: and UTVs]. Short race-day schedule, tons of action, a little something for everyone. Enough time to have a couple spiked coffees and make it worth the price of admission, but not so long that everyone is frozen in place.

DaGuy

Reaction
Attended the SXS Sports race this past weekend in Eagle River, WI, gotta say, these classes are stacked this season! Pro Mod is gonna be quite the battle I believe. Grey Leadbetter is now racing that class and sounded like John Holtger is moving up and into a Polaris. New winner also for that class, might just be me, but it was a name I haven’t heard before, not entirely sure either if he’ll race the COR season or not. RJ Lego won Pro Stock which I believe is a new class for him. Looking forward to it all!!

DaGuy

Reaction
Got another confirmation, Jarret Brooks will be racing in the Midwest this season. Heard it in the Ryan Beat interview on the Dirt Life Show!!

handmethemic

Reaction
Got another confirmation, Jarret Brooks will be racing in the Midwest this season. Heard it in the Ryan Beat interview on the Dirt Life Show!!

That's a big addition, it'll be fun to see him mix it up with the other front-runners.

Pro 2 is gonna be really good this year.

If the numbers come out like you and I have chatted about, we might look back on 2021 as the beginning of the newest "golden age" of truck racing in all the midwest truck classes...

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
If the numbers come out like you and I have chatted about, we might look back on 2021 as the beginning of the newest "golden age" of truck racing in all the midwest truck classes...

Pro Lite has a ways to go, but I think for Pro 4, Pro 2, and Super Stock, absolutely.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
I was told that Jarret Brooks dad along with Chris Polvoorde's are players in the new GAS series out here on the west coast so I would guess that both of them will be running the mid west series to promote GAS. Just because Lucas pulled out of running LOORS doesn't mean they aren't going to continue with their sponsorships of drivers and tracks...IMO

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
I was told that Jarret Brooks dad along with Chris Polvoorde's are players in the new GAS series out here on the west coast so I would guess that both of them will be running the mid west series to promote GAS. Just because Lucas pulled out of running LOORS doesn't mean they aren't going to continue with their sponsorships of drivers and tracks...IMO

The fact that the GAS and COR schedules are so far from overlapping, I feel each is making a conscious effort to make sure each series has the best chance for success.

stephenrjking

Reaction
Lucas is definitely sponsoring something in the midwest, as their name was on that truck that Crandon leaked a photo of, so this is definitely true. Sponsoring is different from owning and operating a series, obviously.

handmethemic

Reaction
I would guess that both of them will be running the mid west series to promote GAS.

The fact that the GAS and COR schedules are so far from overlapping, I feel each is making a conscious effort to make sure each series has the best chance for success.

Cooperation and mutual respect?

2008 feels like so long ago.

It will be so good for the sport if more drivers cross the country in both directions. There's a lot of "rivalries in the making" from the last couple World Cup events that are begging to turn into season-long drama.

handmethemic

Reaction
Speculative Pro 2 field:
- Kleiman
- Kincaid
- Thomas
- Winner
- Gill
- Suhr
- Kirchner
- Beat
- Hannegraf
- Beat
- Mittag (?)
- Brooks (?)
- Pentico (Dan has teased a bit on Facebook)
- Zakowski
- Daffner (per @DaGuy)
- MacCachren (was in an Instagram photo in Crandon with Keegan and Jamey Flannery over the winter)

Haven't seen or heard anything from Brand/Voge team, and Mark Peterson has his truck for sale, so he's also a firm question mark I guess.