It is now the year 2021...

Rennsport Group

Reaction
I can share a bit from behind the scenes -- the COR series management group including Frank DeAngelo, Bill Savage and Carl Schubitzke took a lot of time, care and even vehicle testing to make sure this concept would work for both 2021 and the future. IMHO, there needed to be a clear and defined step ladder from the entry to Pro class to Pro 2 and then Pro 4. Having driving the old Pro Lite four cylinder/G-Force trucks before, this new class should be a lot of fun and pretty competitive. Most importantly, however, is it offers a chance to take so many chassis/trucks off the jacks stands and back into racing.

Looking forward to hosting all of the COR Pro and Sportsman racers (along with the UTLRA4 series) back to Crandon in 2021.

450grl

Reaction
Website
www.wellerracing.com
I love to hear that Pro Lite is going back to a smaller motor. When they went to V8 it ruined the class, IMO.....hard to tell much difference between Pro 2 and Pro lite (they sound the same, look same (unless they are sitting side by side) and why would anyone spend the money to go Pro Lite racing when they could spend the same money to go Pro 2 racing? The 4-cylinder Pro Lites were distinct and unmistakeable - I like the V-6 idea and spec rules and I think this will take Pro Lite back to where it was intended......very cool to see this!

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I love to hear that Pro Lite is going back to a smaller motor. When they went to V8 it ruined the class, IMO.....hard to tell much difference between Pro 2 and Pro lite (they sound the same, look same (unless they are sitting side by side) and why would anyone spend the money to go Pro Lite racing when they could spend the same money to go Pro 2 racing? The 4-cylinder Pro Lites were distinct and unmistakeable - I like the V-6 idea and spec rules and I think this will take Pro Lite back to where it was intended......very cool to see this!

For now the existing Pro Lite class stays, they're adding this one on top of it.

Reaction
IMO- as an observer- NOT a driver or owner mind you- going from the 4 cylinder formula to the v8 was a mistake. It took pro lite from a class with a logical and distinct niche in the sport- which also reflected a niche in the truck marketplace- to being limited pro2. Which kind of worked with the old rules, but once pro2 itself became limited pro2, it made prolite pretty well redundant. Yes, there are important differences but from a fan's perspective (and apparently many competitors as well) you might as well just run pro2 with the current rules. I think this will be a decent move if indeed it does become the new prolite. Would still rather have hot rod 4 cylinders, but we can't have everything.

As an aside, it's worth noting that the production truck marketplace kind of left the old prolite formula behind as well. In the 80s, compact trucks were truly that- small, light, basic, cheap, with 4 cylinder engines. By the 2000s they had become (by manufacturers who still even made them) bloated "midsized" monstrosities with bigger motors (often v6) and less differentiation from other classes of trucks or suvs. So I guess the class's trajectory was kind of a reflection of the production truck marketplace.

tchapps88

Reaction
this is my concern with going with the 4.3- 2022 Chevy Silverado And GMC Sierra To Drop 4.3L V6 And 5.3L AFM V8 so with the 4.3 going out of production how long will gm want to back this engine? They are committed to making the 2.7 4 banger the future of their pickups, to me it would make more sense to go with the 2.7 since it will be around for a while yet, but can understand that keeping the playing field even and preventing cheating would be more difficult with a turbo engine.

tchapps88

Reaction
this is my concern with going with the 4.3- 2022 Chevy Silverado And GMC Sierra To Drop 4.3L V6 And 5.3L AFM V8 so with the 4.3 going out of production how long will gm want to back this engine? They are committed to making the 2.7 4 banger the future of their pickups, to me it would make more sense to go with the 2.7 since it will be around for a while yet, but can understand that keeping the playing field even and preventing cheating would be more difficult with a turbo engine.
I'll pull back on my concerns from yesterday after thinking it over some, the v6 is a good idea for now and this is a last minute new class so understandable year 1 will be a learning curve, but one thing I feel is very important to work on for next season is see if other manufacturers will get involved- ford has a 3.5 v6 (non ecoboost), ram has the 3.6 pentastar, toyota has a 3.5 v6, nissan has a 3.8 v6. all within 20hp of each other including the chevy 4.3, there is the makings of a manufacturer class warfare not seen since the days of the grand national sport trucks!

stephenrjking

Reaction
Champ Off Road has announced that it now has Amsoil title sponsorship. Good for the series. No idea how that will mesh with what appears to be Lucas Oil sponsorship for Crandon.

But if there is in fact such a conflict, it’s a good problem to have.

dbq61537

Reaction
Champ Off Road has announced that it now has Amsoil title sponsorship. Good for the series. No idea how that will mesh with what appears to be Lucas Oil sponsorship for Crandon.

This is a problem many other Motorsports...WISH...they had.

dbq61537

Reaction
I was under the impression it was to bring back the 1 1/2 tube trucks.?.?

I found this in the new rule book...

PTR-3 CHASSIS/ROLL CAGE
• All trucks must be left side steer only. Steering wheel, seat, and pedals must be in approximate stock location.
• All tubing, welds, gussets, and roll cage construction must be approved by CHAMP OFF-ROAD.
• Material for roll cage construction must be 4130 chromoly or ASTM 1018/1026 CDS/DOM
round tubing (see SR-9).
• Minimum tubing diameter and thickness for vehicles weighing:
• Up to 3000 pounds – 1 1⁄2 inch diameter by .120
• 3001 to 5000 pounds – 1 3⁄4 inch diameter by .120 (1 1⁄2 inch diameter is allowed with
pre-approval from tech director prior to entering race track) 1 1⁄2 inch caged vehicles
will not be allowed after January 1, 2022)
• Over 5000 pounds – 2-inch diameter by .120
• All tubes must be welded 360-degrees around the circumference of the tube.
• Gussets are required on all intersections in driving compartments within 3 inches of
intersection. See diagram on FIG 5
• All plate gussets must be of the same material and thickness as the roll cage, measuring 3
inches by 3 inches.
• Tube gussets and wrap gussets must be a minimum of 1.0 diameter x .065 thick.
• All trucks must have 3 horizontal door bars per side. Effective immediately all newly
built trucks must incorporate the driver’s side extended impact zone bars. See diagram. Existing race vehicles will be required to update to the new driver side extended impact door bars. See diagram on FIG 6. The drivers seating location and head area in relation to the left side window opening and roof area tubing locations and construction will be under review on all trucks to maximize the driver’s safety and head protection.
• All roll bars that may come in contact with driver must be covered with hig...

Apparently the 1.5’s will be out after this year...
Though I think you should be allowed to graft a 1.75, to an existing chassis?

Anyone hear different?

dbq61537

Reaction
I'll pull back on my concerns from yesterday after thinking it over some, the v6 is a good idea for now and this is a last minute new class so understandable year 1 will be a learning curve, but one thing I feel is very important to work on for next season is see if other manufacturers will get involved- ford has a 3.5 v6 (non ecoboost), ram has the 3.6 pentastar, toyota has a 3.5 v6, nissan has a 3.8 v6. all within 20hp of each other including the chevy 4.3, there is the makings of a manufacturer class warfare not seen since the days of the grand national sport trucks!

I hope your right...and they talk to other manufacturers.

But the way it sounds...this will be a Chevy V6 only class.

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com

PTR-3 CHASSIS/ROLL CAGE
• All trucks must be left side steer only. Steering wheel, seat, and pedals must be in approximate stock location.
• All tubing, welds, gussets, and roll cage construction must be approved by CHAMP OFF-ROAD.
• Material for roll cage construction must be 4130 chromoly or ASTM 1018/1026 CDS/DOM
round tubing (see SR-9).
• 3001 to 5000 pounds – 1 3⁄4 inch diameter by .120 (1 1⁄2 inch diameter is allowed with
pre-approval from tech director prior to entering race track) 1 1⁄2 inch caged vehicles
• Gussets are required on all intersections in driving compartments within 3 inches of
• All plate gussets must be of the same material and thickness as the roll cage, measuring 3
inches by 3 inches.
• All trucks must have 3 horizontal door bars per side. Effective immediately all newly
built trucks must incorporate the driver’s side extended impact zone bars. See diagram. Existing race vehicles will be required to update to the new driver side extended impact door bars. See diagram on FIG 6. The drivers seating location and head area in relation to the left side window opening and roof area tubing locations and construction will be under review on all trucks to maximize the driver’s safety and head protection.
• All roll bars that may come in contact with driver must be covered with hig...

Anyone hear different?

Part of the reasoning of the new Pro Spec class was to give the 1.5" trucks a place to go.

afortune46

Reaction

Im sure Marty could chime in on that.

I know on the snow side of things we have racers sponsored by XPS, Lucas oil, Schafers, etc for oil , and they (amsoil) have never required removal of the logos or covering of them for the racers as its their program independent from anything series based, I would think it would be the same for the tracks - They have independent sponsorships that have nothing to do with the series itself which Amsoil has a contract with.

handmethemic

Reaction
Pro Light
- Holtger
- K Greaves
- Plouff
- Parrish
- Szymik
- Schaden
- Mamer
- Beat
- Pointon
- JWE
- Milhausen Jr.
? Prater
? Rayford
? Matmiller
? C Kleiman
? Heger

Cory Podolski (UTV driver who won a class championship in the SxS Sports series in 2019) posted a pic on FB today of a Pro Light nearing race-ready.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
The racing was great sunday! What a show! If you are in the area, and didn't go, you are missing out! I hope to see Pro-2 grows over the season. One thing, is I wished the food vendor didn't run out of food but that is just complaining.

Thanks to the GAS team!

handmethemic

Reaction
The racing was great sunday! What a show! If you are in the area, and didn't go, you are missing out! I hope to see Pro-2 grows over the season. One thing, is I wished the food vendor didn't run out of food but that is just complaining.

Thanks to the GAS team!

I watched a good portion of Saturday's stream and thought it went pretty well. I think there's a lot more room for "regional" style events that provide quality racing without heaping on too many bells and whistles.

Also, Class 11s belong on short-course tracks all the time.

PDANK Racing

Reaction
Website
www.pdankoffroad.com

PTR-3 CHASSIS/ROLL CAGE
round tubing (see SR-9).
inches by 3 inches.

Anyone hear different?
That is from the prolite rulebook, not the spec class, 1.5" is allowed in spec class, no termination date. copy and paste from the recently released rulebook,
https://champoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/PRO-Spec-Rules-1.pdf
PTR-3 CHASSIS/ROLL CAGE • All trucks must be left side steer only. Steering wheel, seat, and pedals must be in approximate stock location. • All tubing, welds, gussets, and roll cage construction must be approved by AMSOIL CHAMPIONSHIP OFF-ROAD. • Material for roll cage construction must be 4130 chromoly or ASTM 1018/1026 CDS/DOM round tubing (see SR-9).
• Champ Lite minimum cage tubing is 1 ½ inch diameter by .120
• All tubes must be welded 360-degrees around the circumference of the tube