Its just a Jeep

JDDurfey

I like your build. very clean. I have a 93 XJ that I would love to build. I haven't done anything to it yet. I bought it 10 years ago fro my kid to drive with only 78,000 miles on it. I kept it when she went off to college and daily drove it myself for several years. Now it has 128,000 on it and never misses a beat.

Slippery P

I like your build. very clean. I have a 93 XJ that I would love to build. I haven't done anything to it yet. I bought it 10 years ago fro my kid to drive with only 78,000 miles on it. I kept it when she went off to college and daily drove it myself for several years. Now it has 128,000 on it and never misses a beat.
Thanks man clean and simple is the name of the game with this one. They really are great little vehicles and there is so much available for them.

JDDurfey

Thanks man clean and simple is the name of the game with this one. They really are great little vehicles and there is so much available for them.
And way cheaper to build than a regular Jeep because the purchase price is so much lower.

Slippery P

75E5AEEB-4A8D-4A18-A75D-09F200727716.jpeg
05B2EE85-E33D-4557-9DBA-0AE54EDEA9A4.jpeg
D804E8FC-5E03-47CD-81A1-33FFD6736A87.jpeg
1E531D64-2CD4-4377-8EB0-0538F1E37530.jpeg

So here is an update, this thing was scheduled to get fully caged this week. Unfortunately I let my niece drive and she had an oops moment. Thank god everyone is ok, so time to strip it and find another unmolested stocker and start over.

Slippery P

👍 everyone ok!, any ' drivers' story? or just a slo- roll?
30-40mph jumped out of the groove and got away from her. Went over once and landed on the roof.

Slippery P

Bummer dude! At least you should be able to find another one and transfer all your parts.
Yeah that’s the plan, only the next one will go straight in for cage work first which will most likely snow ball into a 2 year project...

mig29

See Tim's XJ build, Project Green Machine

Simple & clean

Front & rear axles from late 70's Ford 4x4, 9" rear & Dana 44 front. 3-linked front via

Ruffstuffspecialties Ford 9" truss, disc-brake conversion, 1-ton steering upgrade

Tim is a professional welder

mig29

Check Ironman4x4fab

They have some nice upgrades, like steering box brace:

Track bar brace:

Motor & Trans mounts:

I got the above for my Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee. Plus, radiator brace with sway bar mounts

They have a Youtube channel:

mig29

Check IRO (IronrockOffroad), they are 1 of the better lift-kit suppliers for XJ/ZJ/WJ. They have a recent LA (long arm) travel kit

3-link front, 4-link rear (ditch the leaf spring rear). I got 1 for my ZJ

Popular rear-end upgrade for ZJ (to replace crappy Dana 35) is Ford 8.8" (from late 90's Ford Explorer) from junkyard, arguably stronger than Dana 44. You can get a Dana 44 rear off a Isuzu Rodeo

Bleeping Jeep video on the IRO Rock-link LA kit:

Last edited:

mig29

Check IRO (IronrockOffroad), they are 1 of the better lift-kit suppliers for XJ/ZJ/WJ. They have a recent LA (long arm) travel kit

3-link front, 4-link rear (ditch the leaf spring rear). I got 1 for my ZJ

Popular rear-end upgrade for ZJ (to replace crappy Dana 35) is Ford 8.8" (from late 90's Ford Explorer) from junkyard, arguably stronger than Dana 44. You can get a Dana 44 rear off a Isuzu Rodeo

Bleeping Jeep video on the IRO Rock-link LA kit:

Cherokee XJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ, Wrangler TJ have the same front-suspension -- 4-linked short-arm w/trackbar on Dana 30. Latter gets ripped for being weak, but it's fine for up to 33" tires. Beyond, that upgrade to Dana 44 (or Dana 60)

See this TJ thread about lift-kits

Rock Krawler has the best performing short arm lift kit available IMO.
RK uses progressive rate springs (most everyone else doesn't..)

Rubicon Express (RE), Full Traction, Currie [ Savvy/Currie, as in Savvy whose cars have won KOTH ], Clayton, RockKrawler,or BDS are all very good choices. I'm personally going
RE 3.5'' SF with all 8 adj arms. You can get it with sye/ds combo and their monotube shocks for about $1800 from 4x4groupBuy.com It's really up to you they all get great reveiws. If money is a concern Rough Country's 4'' x-series is nice and getting good reviews as well.
Another quality kit is OME (Old Man Emu) from Australia

I bought a used ZJ (the owner spent $14K at 4WP), mix of parts from

Rubicon Express (coil springs front & rear, front adjustable track-bar), OME (shocks)

Rough Country (low price-point lift kits) is controversial, lots of problems & complaints. Their X-series kits features super-flex joints ..a copy of Currie Johnny-joints,. They are notorious for not lasting ("junk"). You could save some $$ with the RC kit, then buy the Currie Johnny joints ($57 a piece), you need at least 4..that's over $228 extra!!

There's a BITD racer who has a RC long-arm kit for his XJ, he likes it. He sells a frame-stiffener kit for XJ, ZJ (I have one).

"I'm beginning to realize "cheap"..is not cheap"
"Buy once, cry once"

The Savvy/Currie kits are real PRICEY (I refuse to cave in), as are

Clayton, Rock Krawler

BDS has nice coil springs. I heard the Skyjacker coils are good. RC coils supposedly sag quickly (junk)

That IRO Rock-link long-arm kit looks awesome, the control-arm mounts (front & rear) goto a beefy cross-member (front & rear). It's has gotten thumbs up by some offroad racing fabricators

You can get the "upgrade" kit (no coil springs), & get coil springs elsewhere (Rubicon Express, BDS, OME, etc). They give you option of shocks (basic, Fox, Bilstein)

jon coleman

toms bronco parts 5.inch lift progressive spring,for the early bronco, fit fine& good rate for racing, cut to fit/ stiffen up alittle, best i ever raced on

mig29

Rough Country (low price-point lift kits) is controversial, lots of problems & complaints. Their X-series kits features super-flex joints[ X-flex ] ..a copy of Currie Johnny-joints,. They are notorious for not lasting ("junk"). You could save some $$ with the RC kit, then buy the Currie Johnny joints ($57 a piece), you need at least 4..that's over $228 extra!!

There's a BITD racer who has a RC long-arm kit for his XJ, he likes it. He sells a frame-stiffener kit for XJ, ZJ (I have one).

"I'm beginning to realize "cheap"..is not cheap"
"Buy once, cry once"

Been researching Rough Country 4" LA (long arm) kit which uses X-flex joints, also their 4" SA (short arm) X-series (uses X-flex joint). They're junk, they don't last. I thought they made improvement from 1st generation, but I guess not. RC shocks are notorious for being junk (2.0 series), their newest version (N3)..who knows

Chris, not taking up for RC, but the have a johnny joint in their adjustable control arms , now from other opinions I agree that Currie is the originator for the johnny joint but take a look at the RC johnny joint repair kit .
Just some stuff I know that may help with this. Daystar was one of the first to knock off the JJ. Their first marketing language for it included the following (para) phrase- We've made the urethane races smaller so you don't need a press to get the snap rings seated unlike some other brands.

What they overlooked is one of the features of the JJ that has made it so durable and successful is just how tight they are and how much preload is on the races when the snap ring gets seated fully into the groove after using a shop press to mash the crap out of them.

There is far more to joint design that the average user can tell simply by looking at them.

I've got another one for you. I know of a race car that was running the RK joints. After testing, the joints were toast. The owner of the company was present and his comment was, Yeah, we just replace the joints after every race.

To put that in perspective, I know of race cars in KOH that have never changed their JJ's after several races because they don't need to.