• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's 1984 PPI Toyota SR5 restoration

Rory

Crayola Killer
Nice story Zac, I always wanted a Toyota because of this truck but could never afford it back then. Turns out i can't afford this one either! Haha. Anyways, back to the build...

I have a love/hate relationship my my buddies up at Collins motorsports. When ever they do work for me it comes with some hazing. Enter Billy Goerke: He calls me yesterday to give me the news about the rear end. Mind you, I have been worried about his phone call ever since i got the truck because I know how expen$ive the rear end would be to have copied with all the mounts for the rollers and this, that and the other. So here's how the phone call goes....

Me: Hey Billy, whats up?
Billy: Uh, well, got some bad news.
Me: Shut up Billy, stop messing with me.
Billy: I'm not. How big is your budget for the rear end?
Me: Come on Billy, stop it.
Billy: No really....
Me: Ugh...well, does it really matter then? Whats wrong with it.
Billy: Well, one of the snouts needs to be replaced and also the passenger side axle tube....
Me: long silence....."$#%&! Well, ok I guess"
Billy: Haha, I'm just messing with you, it looks pretty good.

With that info you love and hate the guy. Turns out the passenger side is bent a little but also needs some welding on the same side. Billy seems to think that the welding will help pull the passenger side back closer to where it needs to be. The drivers side was only a smidge off. For Ivan Stewart to abuse this thing the way he did for 4 years and then get beat on in Mexico for another 5-10 years, i'm pretty stoked with the findings. Kudos to PPI on building a very stout rear end!

Here's a pic of the rear end with the rod through it to check for bends...

IMG_3807.JPG

You can see here how close to true the drivers side of the rear end is...

IMG_3808.JPG

Here's the passenger side, see the difference?

IMG_3809.JPG

Even with it being that far off Billy said he didn't think it would make that much of a difference, he has seen alot worse on TT's and has seen teams run them without blinking an eye. Good to know, and i'm only going to be pushing around 200-250hp at the rear wheels (im guessing).

Bear texted me yesterday and has started on the ball joints. I love getting these kind of texts to see how things are going. I'm sure the ball joints will be done in the next day or so, then it's time for the cups to be made which might take a little more time after getting heat treated...

IMG_3814.JPG

Almost done with the trial cut on the first one to check for fit on the upright and the a-arm, then off to the real thing!

IMG_3815.JPG

How about another action shot from back in the day, this time of Hugo Bojorquez from the Loreto 400, possibly 2002-ish....

Hugo Borjquez Loreto 400.jpg

Rory

Crayola Killer
Keep the updates coming Rory. BTW...you should cut 6"-8" off the rear end.... JK, nevermind ;)
I see what you did there.....LOL.

i have seen nascar teams heat up the housing to change the camber and toe,you might check into this.
good luck brad
Brad, that's how they normally do things but with all the plating and trussing and the rest of the junk attached to the housing it makes it difficult. I've also seen people just start welding down the length of the tube to pull it back into place with the heat from the weld. To each his own....

JasonHutter

Take it from someone who knows... Don't ever say I'm only running 250hp, it will be fine! Well, here are the latest results! These were street gears because I was told they would be fine! Now going to be using pro gears and this 3rd member will now be our spare. Going to a Strange with the ring gear deflection support and such... I hope to get pictures of how bad the pinion gear is later today. My buddy is tearing into it today.

Jason

Attachments

JasonHutter

Take it from someone who knows... Don't ever say I'm only running 250hp, it will be fine! Well, here are the latest results! These were street gears because I was told they would be fine! Now going to be using pro gears and this 3rd member will now be our spare. Going to a Strange with the ring gear deflection support and such... I hope to get pictures of how bad the pinion gear is later today. My buddy is tearing into it today.

Jason

Now, after a little research. Not sure if the pro gears are the answer just yet... There seems to be a 50/50 split on what to use in off-road applications!

Jason

Rory

Crayola Killer
Jason, I'm new to the Country Clubbers nation after being a buggy dork my entire life. I have no idea what to run either but thats why I', letting the professionals make that decision for me. Jeff Fields has been in the business for YEARS and is doing the trans and rear end for me. I'm pretty sure he has lots of experience on different brands and what has worked and what hasn't. With that being said you can talk to 10 trans builders and you will probably get 10 different ways to build something.

Rory

Crayola Killer
History lesson: Race #9.

The 2nd race of the SCORE/HDRA desert series took place on the banks of the Colorado River for the 2nd annual Laughlin Desert Challenge. The 55 mile course would be a tight and technical one with many sand washes and not a lot of straight a ways to stretch the legs of the more powerful vehicles.

Ivan Stewart would get the luck of the draw and start 1st off the line in the 001 PPI Toyota. Ivan would only make it 3/4 around the course before transmission issues would sideline him. 4 hours later he would get it fixed and head out for his 2nd lap, a good one, but trans issues again would have him running out of time and retired.

Frank Arciero would also start 1st in class 2 (behind the 20 class 1's) but his day would go no better. Frank would put the Toyota on it's side early and then had a 5 hour 2nd lap, and then parked. Not a great outting for the Toyota's as they were still trying to get the reliability out of the drive train.

The rest of the race as told by the April 1985 issue of Dusty Times.
Words: Jean Calvin
Photo's: www.tracksidephoto.com

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Frank Snook and Eric Arras would earn the cover of Dusty Times with their class 1 and Overall win. Jack Johnson, Larry Ragland and Larry Noel were strong contenders for the win but all fell victim to problems.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Jerry Penhall was running 3rd most of the race behind the Tom/Steve Martin Raceco and the Mike Goodin Raceco, but the Martins blew a motor close to paydirt while Goodwin threw the win away with a roll over but continued on to finish 2nd.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

The class 10's were competing for the Overall on the tight course with only 14 minutes separating 1st and 3rd Overall.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Rob Tolleson working on his Championship 1985 season.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Malcolm Vinje continued his winning ways in class 5 unlimited.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Walker Evans won class 8 after most of his competition had issues.

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

Jim Dizney won class 9 (Not the Challenger class 9's) and Rod Hall had his way with the class 4 field.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

Spencer Low won class 7s and father to the Overall winning class 1 Raceco was Henry Arras winning the class 5-1600 class.

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

Here's the rest of the finishers.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Getting close to Christmas and hoping to have the Toyota back in the shop by then. I remember this part of the build for Challenger IV and it was a little nerve racking not having it at the shop to tinker on whenever i wanted but this is part of the process if you can't do all the work on your own.

Norm Francis (you know, Retro racing) is almost done painting the shocks. He has a very unique way of doing things but after seeing the finished product on his Funco SSll, Chenowth 1000 and Tracy Valenta's Funco I don't even give it a 2nd thought. I called Norm and said "hey, send me some photo's so i can update my thread". This is the first couple photo's he sent me...

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

WHOLLY $#&% NORM, tell me your wife isn't home! jajaja. Norm said he has been cleaning stuff like this (before paint) for well over 30 years. After he cleans everything up, he rinses everything and runs them through the dish washer. "Hell, my spaghetti pans have more grease on them than those shocks do"! Funny, I never saw the "shocks" setting next to "Pots and Pans".

Next up was laying everything out to get ready for paint...

IMG_3871.JPG

The primer was then laid down...

IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

Norm was hoping to finish today but the weather is not cooperating. Hope to see some Bilstein yellow tomorrow sometime and then they are off to Juan and the crew at Bilstein to do the final assembly.

Meanwhile, Bear was waiting for some tooling to show up and it finally arrived. That's a "reem" tool for the taper for the ball joint...

IMG_3874.JPG

Got a call from Billy Goerke, he said they were having alot of fun trying to get the tube (that the rollers sit on) out of the cantilever arms. The one side came out ok but the other side was giving them fits!

IMG_3870.JPG

Heat, slid hammers, soaking in liquid wrench, welding on stuff to pull it apart, then repeat. Finally they were able to break it loose...

IMG_3875.JPG

This restoration is really starting to take it's toll on everyone involved....hahahahaha....BUT I LOVE IT! Most likely a little more of the same next week.

redrdr67

Ivan did have a Fourunner that had a V8. It sat on a Ranger frame. I worked on it back in the day. He retired that and did prerun for the last few years in a virtually stock Land Cruiser. It had some Bilstiens and Taylor seats, and that was about it.

The Land Cruisers are pretty stout rigs. They have the equivalent of a 9" floater in the rear with a four link and a pretty cool straight axle design in the front. If they had a V8, they'd rock! Good candidate for an LS3
upload_2016-12-20_16-17-42.png

Rory

Crayola Killer
Thanks for posting those photo's guys! The Holidays has slowed down the work being done at Collins Motorsports but they are back on it again (this was expected), most likely heading to Vegas next week to check out the progress. In the mean while another History lesson.

History Lesson: Race #10.

the 1985 SCORE Great Mohave 250 held in Lucerne Valley was the 3rd stop on the SCORE/HDRA schedule. Ivan Stewart and Frank Arciero would finally get their much anticipated front end upgrade since moving to the unlimited classes. The class 7 trucks were limited on the front end but not with the unlimited rules in class 1 & 2. Tommy Morris and the PPI team replaced the front a-arms with longer arms for more wheel travel. With this addition they also needed to change the front clip because the front fenders were not wide enough. This change, for me personally, is one of the main reasons I fell in love with these trucks. The change really made the trucks looks so much meaner and they were able to attack the terrain much more aggressively. Look at the example pic's below.

Front fenders before, notice the bulge in the front fender rounds off back towards the door. Photo credit Jeff Furrier.

Ivan 84 SF250.jpg

After upgrade, notice the back side of the front fender now is pushed out and steps back flat about 3" to the door. "Speed holes" were added, which might help air escape through the body work. Photo credit Centerline Photo...

1986.Mojave.129.Stewart.21x.jpg

PPI did an easy fix to the rear by adding 3" spacers to the hubs to make it wider. It seemed to work just fine since I can't seem to find any issues during races with them.

Now to the race: Ivan would start #105 but would once again be plagued with transmission problems. He would fix it and go on to finish 8th in class. Frank Arciero would also have transmission problems and finish well back in the field. PPI would be scratching their heads again as the trans issues kept rearing their ugly heads.

Quick look at the rest of the race.

Dusty Times magazine, May 1985 issue.

Willie Valdez and Malcolm Smith earned the cover of Dusty Times for their wins at the 1985 Great Mohave 250 race. Willie raced in class 7s while Malcolm Smith raced his newly built ORE Renault powered buggy to the class 2 unlimited win.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

Larry Noel took class 1 with his Chaparral chassis buggy...

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Dave Shoppe beat Steve Kelley and Walker Evans in class 8...

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

While Greg Diehl won class 5 unlimited in the DirTrix Baja bug...
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Manny Esquerra continued winning class 7...

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Current chassis builder Kent Lothringer won class 5/1600...

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

And Rod Hall once again topped the 4 wheel drives in class 4...

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Here's the rest of the finishers...

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

toddz

Rory - they added 3" to each side via spacers or 1.5" each side? And they used spacers similar to what people use today to accomplish that?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Rory - they added 3" to each side via spacers or 1.5" each side? And they used spacers similar to what people use today to accomplish that?

Thanks,
Todd Z.
Todd, correction. The spacers are 2" wide per side and made by PPI.....

IMG_3942.JPG

Rory

Crayola Killer
Jeff,

The rotors are actually mounted to the back side of the wheel studs. Probably not the way I would have done them but pretty common back in the late 70's and early 80's. Are the Honcho hubs the same? I know we probably have the same era Summers Bros hubs or at least they look similar.

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG