• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's 1984 PPI Toyota SR5 restoration

Weird question but what's the plan for the windows in the X-tra cab part? Lexan or actual factory window. I probably have some of those factory windows laying around in my shop with my 80's Toyota part collection.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Weird question but what's the plan for the windows in the X-tra cab part? Lexan or actual factory window. I probably have some of those factory windows laying around in my shop with my 80's Toyota part collection.
Ill be using smoked Lexan for the rear side windows and the rear radiator scoop. I have the original side windows for the rear but will be selling them on eBay because I don’t need them.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Any more updates yet ?? I m having withdrawals

So am I! Still working on the replacement top, crossing my fingers for an update from the fabricator. Everyone is busy with the last few races and now the Baja 1000 coming up. ☹️

Hey rory. We understand your busy and so are all the race shops. But come on mate. You are 29 threads from being on page 2. Any update is awesome. Even if its another history lesson. Was the truck ever crashed. Who were all the drivers? What changed from truck class to class 1. What were the different liveries? Love your builds just trying to get some movement.

Rory

Crayola Killer
The #001 PPI Toyota build is still in full swing but not in my hands at the moment. The good news is (and I use this phrase waaaay too much) I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Darryl Puttman in Las Vegas is just about finished with the replacement top. When timelines don't match up and the truck shows up late from one shop to next, projects gets shuffled, that's what happened to mine. I could of pulled the truck out of his shop and found another shop but trying to find the right people to do specialty work is very difficult so you just have to roll with the punches some times. I get it, I may not like it but I get it. It never crossed my mind to pull it out of Darryls shop anyways, he is the right man for the job.

Anyways, so here's where we're at. Darryl has been working on the top and slowly trying to sneak up on getting the fit just perfect. If you don't recall, the donor top had a little too much cancer in the a pillars and drip rails, along with some shady body work behind the c pillars. I figured it was no big deal as I've seen worse but was told by the body guy it would be cheaper and easier just to replace the top. Soooo, a new(er) top was delivered and Darryl has been in the process of matching the 6 points of contact and trying to get it as close to perfect as he can. Lots of tack welding, manipulating, cutting, grinding, smoothing, repeat. It's tedious work and I know it's kicking his butt a little but nothing he can't handle.

IMG_1405.JPG

Sometimes I hate posting pictures of work like this because I know someone is going to comment on how it could have been done faster or better or whatever. Since I have never done work like this before and Darryl has replaced MANY cabs and skins on old class 8 trucks and desert trucks I tend to leave there style to them.

IMG_1387.JPG

I've always been happy with the finished product out of Darryls shop and I can already tell by these pictures that I'm going to be extremely happy.

IMG_1386.JPG

Sorry about the lack of updates, limited budgets and extended times at race shops are the norm for restorations like this if you can't do all of your own work. Thanks for being patient guys, I want this thing finished too but you can't rush this type of work.........well, unless Toyota and TRD want to jump on board and send over that open check book :D.

Hey rory. We understand your busy and so are all the race shops. But come on mate. You are 29 threads from being on page 2. Any update is awesome. Even if its another history lesson. Was the truck ever crashed. Who were all the drivers? What changed from truck class to class 1. What were the different liveries? Love your builds just trying to get some movement.
I will put together another history lesson, I've been slacking lately. As far as I know the only time it was ever "crashed" (by Ivan) was when they were filming that "seat belt" commercial posted a page or so back. Ivan made one last run that day and ended up putting it on its side....minor body damage resulting in replacing the passenger side door and skin. The truck was deemed illegal for class 7 in HDRA so at the end of the 1984 season they moved them into class 1 and class 2 (The Tommy Morris/Frank Arciero truck #002). This was the only livery the truck had while at team Toyota. I have to do a little more research on the other owners and drivers once it went to Baja Sur Mexico in 1989 to answer those questions. Work continues.....

Last edited:
The #001 PPI Toyota build is still in full swing but not in my hands at the moment. The good news is (and I use this phrase waaaay too much) I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Darryl Puttman in Las Vegas is just about finished with the replacement top. When timelines don't match up and the truck shows up late from one shop to next, projects gets shuffled, that's what happened to mine. I could of pulled the truck out of his shop and found another shop but trying to find the right people to do specialty work is very difficult so you just have to roll with the punches some times. I get it, I may not like it but I get it. It never crossed my mind to pull it out of Darryls shop anyways, he is the right man for the job.

Anyways, so here's where we're at. Darryl has been working on the top and slowly trying to sneak up on getting the fit just perfect. If you don't recall, the donor top had a little too much cancer in the a pillars and drip rails, along with some shady body work behind the c pillars. I figured it was no big deal as I've seen worse but was told by the body guy it would be cheaper and easier just to replace the top. Soooo, a new(er) top was delivered and Darryl has been in the process of matching the 6 points of contact and trying to get it as close to perfect as he can. Lots of tack welding, manipulating, cutting, grinding, smoothing, repeat. It's tedious work and I know it's kicking his butt a little but nothing he can't handle.

View attachment 197095

Sometimes I hate posting pictures of work like this because I know someone is going to comment on how it could have been done faster or better or whatever. Since I have never done work like this before and Darryl has replaced MANY cabs and skins on old class 8 trucks and desert trucks I tend to leave there style to them.

View attachment 197094

I've always been happy with the finished product out of Darryls shop and I can already tell by these pictures that I'm going to be extremely happy.

View attachment 197093

Sorry about the lack of updates, limited budgets and extended times at race shops are the norm for restorations like this if you can't do all of your own work. Thanks for being patient guys, I want this thing finished too but you can't rush this type of work.........well, unless Toyota and TRD want to jump on board and send over that open check book :D.

I will put together another history lesson, I've been slacking lately. As far as I know the only time it was ever "crashed" (by Ivan) was when they were filming that "seat belt" commercial posted a page or so back. Ivan made one last run that day and ended up putting it on its side....minor body damage resulting in replacing the passenger side door and skin. The truck was deemed illegal for class 7 in HDRA so at the end of the 1984 season they moved them into class 1 and class 2 (The Tommy Morris/Frank Arciero truck #002). This was the only livery the truck had while at team Toyota. I have to do a little more research on the other owners and drivers once it went to Baja Sur Mexico in 1989 to answer those questions. Work continues.....

Rory

Crayola Killer
Any Idea what Happened to the #002 Truck ?
The #002 truck is rotting away in South Africa. The owner was willing to sell it but to buy it, then ship it to the United States, it's not worth it. The only thing that MIGHT be worth it is some of the parts that could be used as spares.....but those too may be too far gone. It's a shame really, would have been nice to see it back over here but the price to restore that truck would probably double or triple the amount of money I'm spending on #001.

History of the Tommy Morris/Frank Arciero #002 PPI Toyota (condensed version).

Built side by side to the #001...
PPI 1.jpg

Raced by Tommy Morris and Frank Arciero until Cal Wells told Tommy he had to either be the team manager or a driver, he couldn't be both (at the time Tommy was a partner with Cal at PPI). Tommy took the Team Manager roll. Trucks were built as a class 7, then moved to class 1 and 2 at the end of the 1984 season..

IS4.jpg

The #002 was sidelined after a season and a half, then sold to a guy in South Africa...

PPI 002.jpg

Toyota Andre Brits.jpg

Not much is known of it's exploits in South Africa but the truck changed hands again and these pictures were sent to me over a year ago...

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

Without actually flying over there and getting a good look at it, there is no way of knowing how good of shape it's actually in. Very sad....

J Burleson

Im not saying it’s in good shape, but that is FAR from gone! Having owned a restoration shop in the northeast I’ve brought cars back to life that were missing the bottom 6”. Yes, it will take more money, but that truck needs to be saved! The chassis and suspension look to be in decent shape.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Im not saying it’s in good shape, but that is FAR from gone! Having owned a restoration shop in the northeast I’ve brought cars back to life that were missing the bottom 6”. Yes, it will take more money, but that truck needs to be saved! The chassis and suspension look to be in decent shape.
Not gone but unless you had an unlimited budget this build would break the normal restorer. Trust me, I've spent WAY more money than I was thinking stuff I didn't think I was going to have to spend it on. Basically what is sitting over in South Africa is a template. I'd be willing to bet that rust has made its way into some of the suspension tubes and is rotting the tubes from the inside out. We found a few tubes in the #001 that were just starting to turn south but we replaced them.....and my stuff looks brand new compared to the #002 stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for someone to go get it and start the restoration so the #001 and #002 could sit side by side again.

How much difference is there between 001 and 002. Could a tribute to 002 be built from pictures and measurements off of 001? And have the parts and pieces shipped back. Leave the cab and chassis in africa.

Rory

Crayola Killer
How much difference is there between 001 and 002. Could a tribute to 002 be built from pictures and measurements off of 001? And have the parts and pieces shipped back. Leave the cab and chassis in africa.
There was slight updates done to the #001 chassis but nothing too major before it was shipped overseas. Once it got over there they made changes to the steering and maybe the rear suspension. Both of those are significant changes. Just to give you an idea, these trucks cost approx $175,000 to build back in 1983-1984.

UPDATE: The #001 is now back home in Arizona and I couldn't be happier with the work that Darryl did on the top of the cab. This was by no means an easy task and he spent a lot of time on it. Trying to match up 6 different points of reference is not easy especially when you only have 1 shot to get it right.

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

With the cab pretty much finished besides some minor body work to smooth everything out, I will start prepping the rest of the cab/chassis for paint. One thing I need to do is work on getting some new urethane bushing chassis mounts made to fit the 12 contact points on the chassis.

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

When I dismount the cab from the frame I will prep the frame for paint along with the suspension pieces. The cab will be sent out to Chris Hukill (original PPI painter) and he will get the white base paint on the body while also spraying the inside of the cab light grey. The tubing in front of the cab and behind the cab with be gloss black along with the frame.

Here's some pictures (courtesy of Lance Barron) of the #001 when it was being built back in 1984. Chassis...

162814_121255484606204_415470_n.jpg

Back half...

162888_121255514606201_2290446_n.jpg

Lower front suspension...

163726_121255531272866_7994101_n.jpg

Interior...

157069_121255641272855_4983381_n.jpg

Last edited: