• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ivan Stewart Modern motors Chenowth 1000 replica build

LantanaTX

The last color photo is Bobby Ferro’s Funco from the 1976 Baja 500. At the request of Bobby’s sponsor who owned Comander motor homes, Ivan teamed up with Bobby to overall the race.

Norm is doing a great paint job just as he did on our car and many others.

burro8

Was that Mike Slater that owned Commander Motorhomes. I visited Modern Motors in 1976 I think it was.

Rory

Crayola Killer
I stopped at ORW in Murrieta on Saturday to pick up a few parts for the wing and rear brakes...

766E90FC-E013-4BD2-9B54-241BB13251FF.jpeg

From there I went to Norms to pick up the car....but I’ll save that for last.

After loading the car on the trailer I headed for the LeDuc Swap meet as I was looking specifically for a few items. A few things I knew would be pretty easy to find but other things I knew would be finding a needle in a haystack. After arriving a little late I made my way through the area scavenging for some old parts. I couldn’t believe it but pretty much right off the bat I found a set of link pins I had been looking for for about 18 months. The sway a way link pins that fit in the stock arms are hard to find but low and behold I found some, and in good shape too...

CE3B9168-8AFE-4D12-BC95-3E79C8E10899.jpeg

Another score was a set of old KC lights from none other then Robby Gordon. If that wasn’t cool enough he also donated them to the build, thanks Robby...

02D8FC1B-FC04-44E1-9033-704E1C7B0C4E.jpeg

when I arrived home I was greeted with the Chenowth bumper that made its way from the Chromer in Henderson (A1-Plating)...

8044E400-9B2C-42B4-A252-F0B1873CFAE6.jpeg

the number plate was also mounted...

3F4498F1-02A9-45F2-8D35-EDA94F27C0DF.jpeg

i recieved a text from Ryan Haugley who surprised me with a “Sandmaster” intake for the Zenith carb I’m having rebuilt by Mike Banks. This is a really cool piece and pretty rare. Ryan said he was happy to give it up on such a cool car, Thanks Ryan...

0921620C-85CC-429A-ABBA-41900A03FF93.jpeg

My buddy Chris Rockwood welded up the side vents for the Chenowth and they came out GREAT. Chris does good work and there is only a few of these guys in the area that are talented enough to handle these special jobs...

4A5E2BA9-CD4C-48F2-B277-0E5F92FB150C.jpeg

85916F14-173C-41C8-86B9-978920C499E0.jpeg

I still need to mount the vents to the car but I will wait until after I get them painted. Finally, here’s a pic of the car all painted up with the chrome bumper mounted and some old KC lights. Looks naked without the sponsor logos and rear wing but we hope that will all change within the next 2 weeks or so...

C0A0F0E8-70D0-4135-9A9B-66CC438F2EE1.jpeg

Norm Francis, thank you buddy for doing such a good job on the paint, I couldn’t be happier with the result. Next on the list is mount the wing and work on getting the car custom lettered by a professional. Not too shabby eh? 😬

Rory

Crayola Killer
Haha, nice threaded link pins. Glad you found some. Car looks amazing.
it was getting the stock German links if I couldn’t find them........jajaja.

Rory

Crayola Killer
You must have broke your phone...
Of course you have some, why didn’t I think to ask? You’ll like the car Martin, it should be pretty close to your strict guidelines as far as vintage vehicles go. I did stray on a couple things but hey, it’s NOT the original soooo...😬

Rory

Crayola Killer
Working on the wing mount today, got the car leveled out and then put the wing on jack stands and leveled out behind the car...

B2AC1CF8-7046-4479-9201-AC635E5CD73F.jpeg

started laying out the mounts on the car...

18E7AE8F-9AF6-4005-9D78-02F223804040.jpeg

the reason for the half clamps is due to the fact the car started without a wing in 1976 and then in mid 1977 the wing was added. This way they can display the car anyway they want (76 era or 77 era) and those ugly mounts won’t be sticking up with the wing off.

FBE369D9-903E-4602-8C23-93C737966872.jpeg

Here’s the basic layout for the wing mount, but i

457F30B6-E680-40FD-A147-EF63F0CA2A0D.jpeg

This is about what it’s going to look like once it’s all mounted up. Although the original car didn’t have paint on the wing, we are going to paint it the same color as the car and add some lettering. The wing is almost invisible without any paint on it. Since it’s a tribute car we have a little flexibility

ED7A0200-D739-40A5-97E7-5894EB6BD183.jpeg

The MINT 400 is later this week and we are working hard to get it ready for display. Make sure to drop by the Off Road Motorsports Hall Of Fame booth in front of Atomic Liquors on Fremont street and say hi. Maybe get a membership for $25 while you’re at it and support a great organization for the sport that you love. 😬❤🏁

Bro_Gill

O
Of course you have some, why didn’t I think to ask? You’ll like the car Martin, it should be pretty close to your strict guidelines as far as vintage vehicles go. I did stray on a couple things but hey, it’s NOT the original soooo...😬
Only thing I don't like on the car is all the blue tape!!! It is the wrong color! Use the white stuff like we had to back then! Amateur...

Rory

Crayola Killer
Sooo, it’s been a year and 3 days since I started this project, what a difference....

March 1, 2019....

87B65C96-E1E9-4431-AC97-AF2D0F0164A8.jpeg

March 4, 2020...

7F8B647A-B4C9-4692-AB80-5083A2359FF5.jpeg

If you’d like to see the car in person we will have it on display at the ORMHOF booth at the MINT 400 on Thursday. Unfortunately the car will NOT be on display on Friday because we are pitting for Norm Francis and Tommy Croft in the Vintage class 1 Chenowth 1000 ☹.

D72BA601-C99A-4155-8293-502DC79B5F85.jpeg

Please drop by the booth and say hi! While you’re there, make sure to signup to be a member for $25 and get a cool t-shirt out of the deal! Nothing like giving back to the sport you love.

cavebiker

Five Star report all the way man! Just awesome, thanks for all the pics and info 🏁

Rory

Crayola Killer
A couple shots from Tech....

FBACED03-47B9-4891-A9EA-4D061C8702FB.jpeg

A pair or “Winged Chenowth’s” sitting together at the ORMHOF booth on Thursday. Congrats to Norm Francis on his win in the 82 and down Vintage class...

2C3E5C5A-076A-49F4-A3F5-5C2680291646.jpeg

harleys dad

A couple shots from Tech....

View attachment 210090

A pair or “Winged Chenowth’s” sitting together at the ORMHOF booth on Thursday. Congrats to Norm Francis on his win in the 82 and down Vintage class...

View attachment 210091
when I was a teenager a whole lot of class 1 cars had wings on them in 76-77, I always thought most were cool looking but Ivans you had to really look to see it. Did it really do anything or just the cool factor. I could see the MT cars or the PJ Blazer sporting one but a 2180 car?? Nice work Rory

LantanaTX

when I was a teenager a whole lot of class 1 cars had wings on them in 76-77, I always thought most were cool looking but Ivans you had to really look to see it. Did it really do anything or just the cool factor. I could see the MT cars or the PJ Blazer sporting one but a 2180 car?? Nice work Rory
I have wondered about Ivan’s wing. I thought maybe it was actually an air brake if you tried to endo it, the wing would try to push the back end back down. I can tell you that the wing on our car does help to stabilize the car at high speeds.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Greg Lewin who was the crew chief on the Ivan Stewart Chenowth said it was a “$500 number plate”....😬

oldschool5er

Greg Lewin who was the crew chief on the Ivan Stewart Chenowth said it was a “$500 number plate”....😬
I talked to UMP about this a little over a month ago when I was trying to get one made. They were pretty firm that their wing was designed to provide stability at higher speeds and fully functional. My Chenowth never raced with one but my partner was fixated on putting one on. I tried to dissuade him as it is just not a good fit for our car because of the years raced even though I love the look. You of course got the last wing parts available and UMP will not make anymore. I had to go to some aircraft buds I know in Torrance to get it made so it is no longer a $500 investment, but it's his dime on this one. I see a lot of photos with those wings hanging off from race damage, so that and the drag it might cause were my other concerns. I am on the fence on this one at least in our case. I conceded since it is easily removable.
Of course your car needed one to make it the great car that it represents and it looks Awesome. Really nice work on the car, can't wait to see the final lettering and finish details.