• Forum membership has its advantages....

jack rebuild

punchdrunk monkey

I just bought a used Craftsman aluminum jack and it only goes up about half way then dies. Is there a fix for this? I'm going to buy some oil today and see if it's low. Any other tricks?

punchdrunk monkey

After further research, jacks aren't rebuildable but they will sell you a "kit" to rework the jack. So I filled the oil and guess what....the jack works :rolleyes:

Zambo

When you're bouncing around in the desert and then try to use the jack you can get air in the system which will make it not work well sometimes. Trick is to open the valve and pump the handle a bunch of times to bleed the system. Then shut the valve and it should work fine. I've also found that mounting the jack level in the vehicle (as it normally sits) seems to lessen this problem. FWIW.

tool46n2

Where did you buy your jack oil from? Im having the same problem. As soon as trhe jack hits the frame, it seems to not have the pressure to lift the truck. Maybe this might work.

CaptinCrash

i have the same problem any one no where to get rebuild kits

punchdrunk monkey

I got the oil at Sears.

You should be able to get the repair kits online at sears website

F1shifty

hogans hydralics in lakeside if anybodys in the san diego area. he rebuilds jacks, pallet jacks, all that kind of stuff. even greenlees hydr. ram. the shop location is kind of a pain and a bit scary but ive had tons of stuff rebuilt by him through work and never have had a problem. its right on the top side of hwy 67 trk dismantlers

12650 HIGHWAY 67
Lakeside, CA 92040
(619) 562 0497

tool46n2

hogans hydralics in lakeside if anybodys in the san diego area. he rebuilds jacks, pallet jacks, all that kind of stuff. even greenlees hydr. ram. the shop location is kind of a pain and a bit scary but ive had tons of stuff rebuilt by him through work and never have had a problem. its right on the top side of hwy 67 trk dismantlers

12650 HIGHWAY 67
Lakeside, CA 92040
(619) 562 0497
how much did he charge. sometimes your better off buying a new jack.

punchdrunk monkey

My craftsman jack started leaking real bad. I just ordered a rebuild kit from Amazon. I'll keep post the results after my attempt to rebuild. I wish I would of researched this thread before ordering the kit ($55), it might of been cheaper to take to the lakeside place.

JDDurfey

My craftsman jack started leaking real bad. I just ordered a rebuild kit from Amazon. I'll keep post the results after my attempt to rebuild. I wish I would of researched this thread before ordering the kit ($55), it might of been cheaper to take to the lakeside place.
Where is it leaking from? The plunger that goes into the pump that the handle pushes down and pulls up?

If this is where it is leaking it is usually a simple fix. I have fixed this numerous times. Take the handle off and pull the plunger out. There should be an o ring in a groove on the inside of the housing that seals the plunger. use a pick or small screw driver to pull the o ring and go get a new one. Most auto parts houses probably sell one that would work, if you don't have a stash yourself.

I have purchased "jack" oil in the past, but I fixed a jack we were throwing out at the shop and took it home and it wouldn't lift very high. I put ATF in it and it works fine. You could also use hydraulic oil. I think that is pretty much what "jack oil" is anyway. But not everyone has hyd oil around, I do, but it is in a 5 gallon bucket for my tractor, so I grabbed a quart of ATF

If the leak is the "cylinder" part and it can be rebuilt, some cannot be, it is not much different than a single acting hydraulic cylinder. Take it apart. You will have a piston inside that is attached to the shaft. Remove the piston and then you can access the packing gland which contains the seal that seal the shaft. It is most likely a "u-cup seal" It will be in the middle of the gland. The seal on the outside is a "wiper ring" and it is just there to keep the dirt out. However, cheaper jacks, can use a combination wiper ring/u-cup and only have one seal. Either way, find a hydraulic shop that you can buy hydraulic seals from and take them the gland, piston, and rod and they should be able to match up exactly what you need. There is a huge mark up on hyd seals. If you buy them in a nifty little baggy and it says CAT, John Deere, and especially Komatsu, you are paying way to much. The exact same seals can be purchased cheaper. Most are made by Hercules and there are distributors that can get them direct for shops like mine.

I hope you don't think I am talking down to you in this post, I do not know what your mechanical ability is and just want to give you all the info I know. I have rebuilt many many hydraulic components over the years as a heavy equipment mechanic and a jack is not too difficult. Hope this help.

punchdrunk monkey

Thank you for your input. I have never rebuilt a jack but it can't be that complicated.

punchdrunk monkey

Well this didn't go so good. I got the jack apart and cleaned up. All ready to put back together. Open the rebuilt kit (that is dozens of o-rings) and nothing fits! I have every size o-ring with this kit.....except each size needed for my jack. Crap! Guess thats what I get for buying a rebuilt kit off Amazon. Looks like I'm calling Hogans Hydraulics tomorrow.

DeRaRa

I've had a couple jacks repaired over the years at Jack X Change in Anaheim cheaper than buying a new one, and allot less hassle than doing it yourself.