• Forum membership has its advantages....

JD squared bending capacity

mexracer10

Anyone every bend anything thicker than .120 wall tubing on this bender? I need to bend 1.75 4130 with .188 wall but no not want to damage my bender...I have searched around but everywhere i look it states .120 wall is max capacity.

07FJRog

I would not do that with mine, 120 would be max, however we do bend 2" 095 with it.

RMFH622

Quoted below was copied from the JD2 website. As I recall watching their YouTube videos, it is also stated there that that particular die set is rated at 1/4" max wall thickness for that particular size. You didn't mention which model your bender is so I would suggest giving the guys over at JD2 a call to confirm. Good luck...

"The 'Minimum Wall Thickness' represents the minimum wall thickness for consistent high quality, wrinkle-free bends. Die sets up to 1.5” can bend solid round. Die sets up to 2” OD will bend up to .250" wall. Die sets greater than 2” OD will bend up to .120” wall"

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

mexracer10

its the model 3 bender, think i am going to play it safe and find someone who can bend it safely, its only 3 bends in the same tube...

RMFH622

its the model 3 bender, think i am going to play it safe and find someone who can bend it safely, its only 3 bends in the same tube...
Copy that!
I just called over to JD2 on my own curiosity and was told that the Model 3 bender using 1 3/4"OD X 6" CLR die set is safely rated up to .188 max wall thickness, recommended on hydraulic power. I personally wouldn't make it a regular thing myself, but it'd be interesting to see how it handles. However - when in doubt, source it out....

mexracer10

thanks for the info...mine is still manual, would be a lot of huffing and puffing to bend that.. will end up sourcing it out.

sirhk100

Not apples to apples but I bent some 1.5x.250 dom on my manual model 3. It took some force but didn't skip a beat. I'm not sure I'd want to be bending 90's with it all day though! LOL I just put a small bend in a piece I was using for a tierod. That and 2"x.120DOM are the two hardest "pulls" I've had on mine so far...