JD2 bender / change to hydraulic

motoxscott

Reaction
Has anyone here changed over their JD2 model 3 bender to a hydraulic setup? What did you go with, do you like how it works now and how much did it cost?

I'm either thinking of upgrading mine, or getting a JD2 model 4 (uses same dies as model 3) or stepping it up and going with a bender similar to the one Camburg sells (hossfield design).

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
-Scott

Stan

Reaction
I used a $80, 8 ton hydraulic ram from HF. I haven't used it yet, and talking to one guy from CK5 who went the same route, he's works mounted the convential way, but my ram isn't working so I'm probably gonna have to turn the table on end to make it work. Haven't actually tried it yet though. The info you will get from POR4x4 on this is priceless.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

shower

Reaction
Stan,
If that is the one that is like a long bottle jack with end pins, I have read that you may have to add more oil to make it work. When it is layed horizontal the pickup port is above the fluid line.

Stan

Reaction
This is the one I have

I filled it completely as much as possible and it still won't go when horizontal. About the best I can get is at a 45 degree angle. The cart I have the unit mounted to, I can easily turn it over with the ram vertical, weld some wheels on it (made that mistake the first time, I have wheels to cut off) and go to town bending. It might be a little weird at first, but I'm sure I will get use to it. When I get the cash to either go porta power or full hydro, then Iwill remount everything.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.