Jeep/Dana 35 questions.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
My girlfriend has a 1997 Grand Cherokee 2WD with the 5.2 V-8. We have had a LOT of issues with the rear end, I've replaced a few bearings to alleviate a grinding sound, but now I've been told to just replace the rear axle. My questions are....

It's my understanding that the ratio in the 35 (with limited slip) that's currently on it is 3.55. Would it be OK to throw on a used one with 4.10, from a 92 Cherokee (also w/limited slip)?

Will the brakes from the current axle fit the 92 axle???

I've done some research on Dana 35 axles, and what is all this I've been reading about some axles being "c clip"??? It confuses the hell outta me.

Here are some of the options I've found on craigslist:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1357809040.html
(this is just the locker??)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1367807032.html
(this one looks the best to me, but what do I know???:rolleyes:)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1393848845.html
(this one has 4.10 gears, not sure if I really want that???)

I thank you all greatly in advance for all your advice. I really need to get this taken care of, it scares me that it might leave her and the kids stranded someday.

(By the way, if anyone wants to buy it, PM me. We want to get rid of it, but want to have it fixed first.)

OldGreen

Reaction
The answers to all of your questions is "NO".

You need the rearend out of another Grand Cherokee. . not a regular cherokee. You have coils/links in the rear, regular cherokees are leaves. Google the North American Grand Cherokee Association.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
The answers to all of your questions is "NO".

You need the rearend out of another Grand Cherokee. . not a regular cherokee. You have coils/links in the rear, regular cherokees are leaves. Google the North American Grand Cherokee Association.
Can I use a rear axle that is out of a 4WD???

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
Jeeps ( XJ & ZJ) come with chrysler 8.25 =C clip
dana 35 = C clip
& dana 44 = aluminium housing ( ZJ WJ)
some XJs Dana 44 = steel housing very rare

XJ ( 2 & 4wd) came with leaf springs so it does not have control arm mounts or coil spring buckets or shock mounts of the ZJ
so you have to strip an axle then weld all the brackets & if you are planing on doing so its better to find a better axle.

btw your brakes will bolt on to the XJ axle

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
OK, new idea. Might not be worth a damn but....

Can I buy one of those used 35's from an XJ and just swap the axle shafts and other internals out, and retain usage of the ZJ housing that I already have???

I have checked out the jeep specialty forums...every time I try to search on there it gives me "what tires can I run on my axle" results.

So far I haven't been able to find any used dana 35's from a ZJ, so I am getting slightly desperate.

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
the D35 is the weakest jeep axle you can break it with 31s specially with a V8

gfyrasng

Reaction
Seems to me that it would be much less work/time involved in finding the problem and fixing it. You said you've replaced a few bearings to alleviate the grinding sound. Did it work? Who told you to replace the rear end? What problems do you have with it now?

Reaction
Most Dana 35 came with C-clips but same came without.
The Dana 35C the C stands for custom not C-clip.

Replacing the axle components is not going to fix your problem in the long run.
That is a small axle for a heavy Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L that was one of the fastest SUVs.

On the cheap
You're better off looking for a larger axle I think some Grands came with Dana 44 and some Came with 8.25 some of the 8.25 were 29 spline.

Or find a local Fab shop and get mounts welded on any axle.

Brakes are not an issue all you have to do is swap the brake lines drum to disk you have to modify the combination block. E-brake they make universal kits.

Gears are not an issue since it is only 2wd if you go lower like 4.11 and larger tires it probably will balance out your speedo if not a new speedo gear is cheap and easy to replace.

You might need a new drive shaft length or U-joint size.

Biggest issue is finding the same bolt pattern, and width.
ford 8.8 out of explorers (rangers use smaller axle shafts) are 5 on 4.5 so the same bolt pattern I think the axle is a little skinnier can get spacers they also came stock with Limited slip and 4.11 which might be a good swap if you can find suspension mount kit. check out therangerstation for more info.

If you are going to hop up your engine at all I would suggest getting a custom rear axle Dana 60 or Ford 9 inch, any fab shop should be able to cut them down to length and you can get custom axles 5 on 4.5, then get the mounts welded on.

Or just by a new custom axle ready set up for you're jeep from like Quadratec or 4wd.

Not cheap to have big HP.